Pricks are still not drawing enough blood.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Sep 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

We hate this.

I already know his blood glucose is high this evening because he's been eating and drinking a lot.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Hi Jan! You can try doing 2 quick pricks right next to each other to draw a little more blood up.

3. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks. Round three for this evening's BG test. We've already done both ears. Need more ears.

And there doesn't seem to be a sweet spot on this cat.

4. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Push comes to shove, you can try doing his paw.....I never want to do paws on my cats though, litter and all that. It really is important to do the tests. I'd use the auto-pricker for the paw

5. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Sweet spots will develop with more tests

6. Jan D & Squeaky

THIS IS NOT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CANNOT DO THIS.

7. Jan D & Squeaky

I'M 62. I CAN'T SEE THAT CLOSE UP. WHERE ARE THE STUPID GLASSES.
    HIS GLUCOSE VALUES WILL BE OVER THE MOON FROM THE STRESS OF 4 DIFFERENT TRIES.

EVERY TIME HE GETS OFF MY LAP HE GOES AND DRINKS MORE WATER.

NOW I HAVE TO TORTURE HIM AGAIN. AND ME AGAIN.

8. Jan D & Squeaky

THAT IS WHAT THEY SAY BUT SURE HASN'T HAPPENED SO FAR. YES I'M YELLING. WE HATE THIS.

9. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

You got this Jan. Take a deep breath, go for a walk :bighug: Have a tasty snack for yourself and take a break. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

11. Jan D & Squeaky

IT'S 10:30 AT NIGHT, I'M REALLY TIRED AND WANT TO GO TO BED. CAN'T WAIT TO DO THIS, CAN'T GO FOR A WALK EITHER. ALREADY HAD A SNACK. MAD. JUST MAD ABOUT THIS.

jt and trouble (GA) and Polgeria like this.
  12. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

13. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

It's totally ok to be mad and frustrated.
    Sadly, you have to test a lot to get the capillaries to grow. From your spread sheet, it doesn't look like you've been able to test enough yet for it to happen. That's ok. You'll get there. :bighug:

Can you set up a light next to you so that you can see the vein in his ear?

14. Jan D & Squeaky

Okay, we seem to do better with this in the morning than at night. I'm certain his glucose is very high because he's been drinking so much the last hour. And eating all evening (two hours before this). We will try again in the morning.

15. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

There's a good chance it is, but it's still better to get the test, and it's good practice for both of you. Maybe it's a good idea to work on moving your shot times to an earlier time?

16. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I'm only 47, but I have some vision issues and I had a really hard time seeing the sweet spot on the ear too and being able to see the syringe lines to draw the right amount. Someone suggested stacking reading glasses. I got some cheap ones at the dollar general, higher than I usually need, 2 pairs...and I wear both to draw the insulin. I only need the one pair for the ear. I can't uses them for anything else because they are too high magnification, but perfect for that. I have a little box that I have all Sissy's supplies in for testing and I keep those glasses in there so I know where they are all the time. You could also try a cheap head lamp if you need more light. Maybe something like this. https://smile.amazon.com/GearLight-...ild=1&keywords=headlamp&qid=1599799323&sr=8-5

Also...when we first started Sissy's ear didn't bleed very much...but now, after a lot of testing it bleeds a lot and we don't have bruising anymore unless I accidentally hit the vein and I haven't done that in awhile. It gets better, you just have to keep trying. It's frustrating, but you're all he's got. :bighug:

17. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Critter Mom and Mandy S like this.
  18. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

My daughter found a pair in her room that she used for some project, so I just have to replace the battery and we're good to go! I think they will help a lot!

19. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

I work in computer repair and do cross stitch, I just want them for myself, lol.

20. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Lol, gotcha. They would come in handy for a lot of things. :)

21. Jan D & Squeaky

I have been trying to do that all week, but have been having so much trouble with his ears, it gets later instead of earlier. Grrrrr.

22. Julie L

Julie L New Member

Hi
    Although I'm new and doing things differently because of our circumstances for Edward our vet just put a Lifestyle Libre on him and it is so much easier on all parties. Our prescription was $70 at Costco. No pokes except the one for the Libre for two weeks. That's as long as they last but might give you and your kitty a nice rest. Just a thought.

23. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

I don't know why none of us thought of this! This is an excellent idea!!

24. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I think it will depend on how much it would cost. Jan has posted before that money is an issue for supplies. The Libre would be nice for her though!

25. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

You can always try a paw pad/toe. I have been doing BG tests on cats this way for years and I have never seen an issue yet. I've done rear paw/toes on my won cat for 10 months- he usually doesn't care and I usually get enough blood without having to squeeze his toes. I just craddle him in between my legs with his feet in the air like I do for nail trims. I used to put a treat on his belly and he would try to get that while I would grab my test.

26. Jan D & Squeaky

Hmmm, interesting. I see that Critter Mom likes this idea, what about others?

27. Jan D & Squeaky

Where did the vet put it?

28. Jan D & Squeaky

Money is always an issue, however so is sanity. Sometimes you just pay for something to keep your sanity.

29. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I agree!

Julie L and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  30. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

31. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I've not used a Libre, but from what I've read there are pros and cons (as discussed in the Think Tank thread linked above).

Even if the Libre works well for a particular cat, it doesn't completely do away with the need for a handheld meter (e.g. if Libre stops working or comes off the cat).

Mogs

32. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks it might be worth a try. What part of the pad are you pricking?

33. Jan D & Squeaky

So was that $70 for just two weeks????

34. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

yep I think so. I think medicare pays (some) for a human to use it but they wont for your cat. :oops:

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  35. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

It might give you a long enough break to practice in peace though, without the added stress of having to get the test done in time for your shot.

36. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You may already be doing this, but massage the ear towards the tip before testing. It helps the blood flow and warms the ear. Plus a lot of cats love ear scratches.

Also if you are using the lancet pen, try doing it free hand instead. I found that I have more control and can hit the spot where I want to test.

37. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

I use his toes near the tip and/ or right under that area moving towards the middleof the toe..similar to where humans might do a finger stick I think.

38. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks jt and trouble! Last time we did it in 2 tries. Wish us luck for tonight.

39. Julie L

Julie L New Member

The vet placed it in the neck area and put a gauze bandage like a thick collar around his neck It's very soft and he is not struggling or trying to scratch it off. It is so easy and so far very good Edward and the humans.

40. Julie L

Julie L New Member

Yes. For two weeks. But it gives everyone a rest even if you only do it once or here and there. I have had two cats before this (it's been a while ago) and followed the TR but testing becomes invasive sometimes to both the cat and the person especially on those nights when the BG is crazy. If anyone and the cat needs a rest I recommend it. I would just make sure your vet has experience with placing it and encourage a gauze collar type wrap so it does not come out. If it does, it cannot be put back in and you must buy another one. So far doing good for Edward.

41. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Don't panic about having to needle the ear more than twice. Its warms up the ear and increase blood flow. I usually do it in a windows, there is lots of natural light behind the cat so its much easier to see.

I'm only 28, but until January I had 2% vision left, got my eyes operated and now I have about 80% in at least one eye, however I still can't test without my glasses :eek:

The more you panic the more the cat panics and it all goes wrong. Keep cool and convince yourself your awesome at this s**t. Believe it! :bighug:

42. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow congrats on getting your sight back thats awesome.

This is something that needs nurturing. Once you convince yourself, the rest really does come easily.

Critter Mom and Jan D & Squeaky like this.
  43. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks it sounds really good.

44. Jan D & Squeaky

I doubt my vet knows about it or can do it. Might be worth asking about, though.

45. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks we did better last night. If any area of my life were easier at this moment, this would be easier too. I have someone coming to help me on Monday.

46. Jan D & Squeaky

You know the thing that has helped us the most besides this board. Was having someone come over to my house to help. Makes me feel like I'm not alone and she just calms both of us down. Vets, vet techs are not the same. It was the lovely volunteer with the big heart.

SashaV and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.