Pricking yourself (by accident) after pricking the cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phil & Garfunkel, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil & Garfunkel

Phil & Garfunkel Member

Tonight after poking Garfunkel's ear and getting his BG reading (64), I somehow managed to prick my own finger while picking the lancet up to dispose of it. It punctured me and I pressed an isopropyl alcohol wipe against it for a few minutes.

Are there any real health risks in this, given the difference in species? Yes, I know to be more careful next time disposing of the lancet.

Also, if any of you have managed to do the same, feel free to let me know so I don't feel so embarrassed. :YMSIGH:

Aless likes this.
  2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Not with the lancet, but have done it with the needle on the syringe after injecting ohmygod_smile I believe quite a few of us have nailbite_smile Heck, I don't even worry about it.

3. Lesley & Cheekyface

Lesley & Cheekyface Member

Yep, been there done that. Only once with the lancet, but more than a couple of times with the syringe after a shot--just the other day I dropped a loaded syringe as I took it out of the vial and it hit me in the thigh on the way down :) stung like a ***** but no ill effects.

(Needless to say I dumped that dose and got a fresh syringe for the cat :lol: :lol: )

DavesMom likes this.
  4. Did it once. I didn't.worry about it. I did however stick a fresh strip in the meter and checked my own BG. 113.
    CARL

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I've done it too, and took advantage of the blood and checked my BG 77 :mrgreen:

6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You may have an urge to start meowing afterwards. :lol:

7. Byt2luv

Byt2luv Member

Been there done that and got the tetanus shot to prove it. Wished it was only a lancet or insulin needle. Nope when I did I made sure to do it right (or rather wrong). I thoroughly punctured myself pretty bad (down to the bone and bruised the inside of my finger) with a dirty sub-q needle when I was giving one of my fosters fluids for a nasty bout of a URI. Kicker is I also got a URI to boot and endedup on antibiotic horse pills for ten days. NO I don't think the kitty gave me their URI but you couldn't tell the doctor that. :?

8. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I have done this more times than I care to admit :roll:
    I just wiped the blood & moved about my day ;-)

9. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

If this were facebook, I would so "like" Lisa's comment right now. :lol:

10. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hi Phil, and, of course, you too, sweet Garfunkel,

Once a vampire, always a vampire. Last time it happened, think I was 72...

There was a gent here once who shot straight through the scruff of his sugar cat straight into his finger. He didn't know how much insulin got into his cat or his finger. He packed a bottle of Karo syrup in his briefcase before going to work, just in case... He and Nicole were both fine, by the way...

It is interesting dancing with a sugar cat, isn't it?

Welcome to the place you never wanted to be; but, will be blessed for having found...

Love, and this too shall pass, kind of encouraging hugs for you and Garfunkel,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

PS: How can anyone not love a cat named Garfunkel?

PPS: If you're really worried about sharp objects, just make sure your tetnus shot is up to date. Think they're pretty good for seven years... (Note to self: overdue...)

11. Phil & Garfunkel

Phil & Garfunkel Member

Yeah, I got my tetanus booster last year. I remember I could barely lift my arm for three days or so because the area was so sore. I guess I don't get along very well with whatever is in there.

12. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

:lol: Me too, what Dyana said. Used the opportunity to check my own blood. :smile:

13. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hi Phil, and, of course, you too, sweet Garfunkel,

Glad you're up to date on your tetanus booster! But, really, do we want to know whatever is in there (still overdue...)? Or, if we did know, would we still get it? Ouch!!!

I just wanted to tell you that I think Garfunkel sleeps great!

Love and continued no more puncturing hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart and actually caused me to post something like "I am deceased because I my BG was 21" testing myself before I tested her the first time with the soundtrack of "Jaws" in my brain... It's utterly amazing we danced for four years... Sometimes you learn to be fearless. Giz taught me that. She also sent me Nikki, who requires Ferrari-like ear-poke speed. I'm talking first to fifth in a heart-beat...

14. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

done this so many times i quit counting. will say though that there is one major health risk.....you may find that you discover diabetes in yourself before your doctor does :) but think of the benefits. with a few dietary changes i've brought myself from 180's down to around 100 and haven't had to go on any meds

DavesMom likes this.
  15. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

I gave myself a little insulin instead of the cat once. I was filling her syringe and somehow I managed to fumble the syringe and it went into the air and than straight down and stuck in my finger. I've gotten stuck with the lancets a few times too. :oops: Never had a problem though, just went back to business.

As far as the sugar dance. How come if it's the kitties sugar dance we are always doing all the dancing. ;-)

16. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hi Jan, and, of course, you too, Sara,

Finally, someone asks the real question! And the answer is: Because we love them!

Get your sugar toe shoes steel-tipped, get a football helmet, and you're so good to dance!

Think of it as a "paw" de deux... ;o)

Love and encouraging hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

17. sapling

sapling New Member

Oh yes, I've stabbed myself a couple of times with the needles, usually right after the shot. Not yet with the lancet but I'm sure I'll work up to it. :lol:

Whenever I jab myself and then think "OW that HURTS" and go around sucking my finger for 5 minutes, I immediately feel like a giant baby because my cat just stares at me like "I'd be rolling my eyes if I could."

18. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

A few nights ago I had a sub-Q needle fall out of the cat then into my calf because I was dressed in shorts and seated with my legs crossed.

Lesson on that one - don't give sub-Qs without pants on :shock:

19. Amanda

Amanda Member

I fumbled a needle once and it landed straight up and down...in my thigh. Aside from the heeby jeebies it didn't really hurt - made me feel better about stabbing Kazi! :lol:

20. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I think by the end of it I had managed to go through all of the possible combinations of Yittle's blood, my blood and insulin there was. Inject both of us, neither of us, test both of us, one of us but the wrong one, neither of us etc etc...

The time I got his shot and he didn't - I did the second attempt while munching on a candy bar.

I figured women are already part-feline so it didn't matter all that much if I added some blood to mine in the process :D

21. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Gina, and precious Yittle, forever in our hearts,

You win! Hands and paws down. Attempting a second try whilst munching on a candy bar absolutely did if for me! You are a sugar mom rock star goddess!!!

Amanda, you deserve an Honorable Mention!

But, Vicky is our MVP!!!!!! Sub-Q needles are basically the size of various states, depending on the gauge... I personally chose Rhode Island on full blast with Giz. Could have used an umbrella more than a few times...

Dearest Phil, and, of course, you too, sweet Garfunkel,

Do you feel better now?

Thank you for posting this question! The responses have brought many a smile because I imagine we've all been there and done that...

The thing is, Phil, we've all survived. And, danced with our sugar cats!

Love and hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, who taught me to be brave...

22. ladyxsuebee

ladyxsuebee Member

23. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its basically a small puncture wound; to "wash out" any potention germ contamination, you may want to encourage it to bleed a bit, then do a though cleansing in warm water and soap.

This is your other mother, who also works for a state health department: Go ye, and get your tetanus up to date!! And any other vaccinations for life-threating possibilities which you deem not worth the risk. (Working with TNR and ferals? You just might want a rabies series! They can get it from wildlife.)

24. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I think having a sugar-cat is a bit like having kids. There's a certain point where if you don't just get over the idea of "germs" and some of the things you have to deal with like having little wads of tissue covered in blood spots (used to pin ears in place) everywhere because you're saving them for the next test, lancet covers that escape and hide (I'm STILL finding them), big old coffee cans full of used syringes everywhere, injecting yourself, racing your cat to the litter box and then standing there strip in hand saying "Pee for Mommy!" etc... You will go certifiably insane.

Although if you try to explain it to anybody outside the FDMB and a few select friends and relatives - they're going to think you're nuts anyway.

But you do learn an aweful lot about what you're capable of. I learned by the time I got done with the blood and urine etc, despite being immune system compromised I really didn't give a cat's arse if one of my indoor only fuzzballs decided they wanted a bite of my low-carb food. I'd just let them take a bite and then go back to eating it. Or as hubby once said - "I'd inform you that YOUR cat (Yittle) was standing on the tv tray licking the spray butter off your broccoli, but you probably already know that since you're rubbing his belly while he does it." My reply - "Yeah I know, YOUR cat (Nicholas Von Icklestein) already had some so I had to spray more on for Yittle"

It probably also explains why if either of us picks a cat hair out of something we're eating we pause only long enough to assess which cat it belonged to, before resuming eating.

25. alexia&wednesday

alexia&wednesday Member

cindy,

good job getting your BG normalized without meds.

- dr. alexia

26. HEIDI LAWSON

HEIDI LAWSON New Member

If you happen to get poked by the lancet - NO BIG DEAL, just go wash off your wound with some antibacterial soap. (You weren't injected with anything & cat blood is not something that will "infect you", for that matter neither will the diabetes) If you were injected with a little bit of insulin because of the needle accidentally sticking you, that's not a big deal either (Though it does sting - the insulin is acidic), chances are the tiny dosage you received won't affect you but if you want to you could run a test on yourself with the diabetes meter BUT that means sticking your self again - do you really want to do that?!

27. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

I've been poked and impaled by both lancets and insulin needles. As BJM said, I encourage the wound to bleed a bit. Then I wash it well and forget it!

28. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

I'm su
    . I'm super clumsy and seem to lance myself a lot with the lancets.i check my sugar sometimes when this happens.have yet to get myself with the syringe but I know I will sooner or later.Lol

29. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I too have poked myself with both lancets and syringes. All I have done is to squeeze the area (usually my finger) to make it bleed a bit, washed it off and then put a dab of antibiotic ointment. The first time I poked myself was 1 1/2 years ago and so far I have had no bad reactions.

Cat girl likes this.
  30. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just wait until you stick yourself with an 18 gauge subQ needle. Those really hurt.

Tuxedo Mom and Cat girl like this.
  31. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

OUCH!! :arghh:

I have done that before and know how it feels.

Cat girl likes this.
  32. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Ouch!!!

33. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

We were thinking same thing lol

34. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Been there, done that...straight through the soft part of my finger (and yes it went right through and actually into the next finger along too). :p That one actually hurt for a few hours, but no long-term damage done. On the plus side, I barely notice it any more if I stick myself with a lancet or insulin needle after that. ;)

35. MsBliss

MsBliss Member

Done it with the lancet, a loaded syringe of insulin, and other stuff. Shrugged it off, and moved on. Be careful and aware when near sharps, my friends!

manxcat419 likes this.
  36. MsBliss

MsBliss Member

18 gauge monojects are not only huge, they are not smoothly polished. That had to hurt a lot!. Have you tried the Ultra thin walled needles that are not only smaller, smoother, and pass the same amount of fluids as an 18 gauge, but are very tiny, and hurt kitty less? I have done THOUSANDS of doses of fluids, and they make a world of difference.

manxcat419 likes this.
  37. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

The first (and last) time I tried to sample Snickers she wiggled out from under me and I stabbed myself, so I went ahead and checked my own BS. Was 86 before breakfast. Hope it stays that way!

38. JoUp

JoUp New Member

Just stuck myself with the needle, so I let it bleed a bit and washed it with alcohol. Guess I will live! :cat:

39. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Needle, lancet, I've poked myself many times with both. Quick hand wash with soap and water afterward and I lived to tell the tale. :)

40. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Yes!! I've pocked myself too and as many here I tested myself and discovered that spite of all the nerves and stress my sugar levels were ok (hope they stay that way).

I'm LOL from reading all the answers

Guess being a sugar mom, plus a lot of other rare and once in a million stuff that my kitties usually manage to get sick of makes you learn that your body is much more resistant to infections or bugs that you first thought.

Critter Mom likes this.
  41. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

I've done that several times. It actually happened today. Went straight through the cats ear and got my finger. I just wiped the blood away and keep going with what I'm doing. No biggy :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  42. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Happens to me all the time. (Squallie's ears are very thin and delicate.) I'm probably going to turn into a cat one of these days, lol!
    images (9).jpeg

Critter Mom likes this.
  43. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

at least 3 times in the last 6 months with the lancet
    :oops:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  44. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Got myself with the lancet and syringe needle times here too. In fact, I just stuck myself with the lancet this morning, actually sliced my finger, bled a lot, more than she bleeds with a poke. I have never worried about it, never had any ill effects. So welcome to the club! Hey, perhaps we should really start a club:)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  45. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Ow!!! Kiss better! :kiss:

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  46. RainyOcean

RainyOcean Member

Been doing this for less than two weeks, and I've already done it twice. I have a horrible needle phobia (can't believe I'm managing to do this), and I've never used a needle before in my life. Definitely learning the hard way!

47. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Your needle phobia will diminish over time for sure.

Critter Mom likes this.
  48. RainyOcean

RainyOcean Member

Haha, I believe it! I can already feel it lessening. My heart still races a little when I do it, but not anything like I was feeling a week and a half ago!

49. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

The things we do for love. :)

Mogs

50. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Is hard, but it does get I wouldn't say easier but at least less stressful, I also have (or used to) a serious needle phobia not only I haven't used a needle in my life I couldn't even look at one I shooted for the first time 4 months ago, I even sweted every time and my hands shaked . I couldn't test at the beginning , so hang in there we love our babies and that helps

51. Aless

Aless New Member

I just did this today, so glad I found this forum and post as it's made me feel much better.
    My cat got diagnosed with diabeties a few days ago and I'm getting used to the whole thing, giving the insulin injections can be quite tricky!!! Because he's dehydrated it's still quite hard to get enough of a pinch and he's a bit thin too which makes it all a tad tricky. Will get used to it all I am sure.
    Hope you're all doing ok with your cats :)

JeffJ, Kris & Teasel and Squalliesmom like this.
  52. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Just did it for the first time with the lancet while disposing of it last night, same thing! I just wiped it off with an alcohol wipe and carried along with disposal. Figured it happens to all of us at one time or another! I've yet to shoot myself with the insulin, but I'm sure it's bound to happen because I am pretty clumsy. I always make sure to cap the syringe when moving from the table (where I fill the syringe with the insulin) to Dave's bed, where I give him his shot, JUST in case!

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  53. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yup I stabbed myself with the syringe today after shooting. Not unduly worried.

54. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Only 852 times!!! I was nervous at first; & I was just walking towards Baby - I stuck myself! Not even near her! Those fine prickly little needles! No worries... oh well - another stupid battle scar for me. Several times between shooting & testing I’ve done this. I’m not sick, hissing or pouncing on pretend mice so I guess I’m ok!! Hope it gets easier for you & it will!

55. Jess and Marky Mark

Jess and Marky Mark Member

When we were new to the dance, I was nervous, Mark was nervous and I stuck myself with the syringe before giving him his shot. It stung and bled a tiny bit but no big deal. We got on with it.

A couple weeks ago, while in the pre-blood donation interview, I was chatting with the tech. When he pulled out the lancet to prick my finger, I mentioned that I have a sugar kitty and have managed to prick myself. The friendly chatter ended immediately as he looked at my questionnaire and noticed that I marked 'No' to having an accidental needle stick. He very forcefully x-ed out my answer, re-marked it with a 'yes', and started grilling me. I told him the needle was clean, that I had purchased it myself, removed it from the packaging myself, and that it hadn't touched anything but me before getting poked. I would not consider the incident noteworthy. He scribbled a bunch of notes about how long it had been since the incident and what I said had happened. It was the strangest thing. I'm sure he let me donate then told them my blood was no good. :mad:

56. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Early in the diabetes dance with Leo, I poked myself in the finger with a used needle. It must have had some insulin in it. OMG - I thought a sea urchin had stung me. That darned poke hurt for several hours. Sure makes you smart fast! I didn't do it again.

I also introduced some cat DNA into my blood. So now I'm part feline.:D

Juliet likes this.
  57. Lillie

Lillie Member

I stuck myself with the lancet when I accidently pierced Leo's ears. When I tested I thought yay- he's way down! Ha It was my glucose reading, not his.

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.