GA Possible medical situation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bethany&SirDraculaDupree, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethany&SirDraculaDupree

Bethany&SirDraculaDupree Member

Many of you had the privilege of virtually meeting my lovebug Sir Dracula Dupree on here. We were recently able to get him into remission FEB 27- on with no insulin (previously on 0.1u Prozinc)
    We were able to do so only with the help of us separating him from our dogs (which kept causing him to spike) We found someone who was willing to take him on a trial basis and everything seemed as though she was very eager and willing to learn everything she needed to in order to give him the best life.
    She doesn't have the spreadsheet and has not been testing as often as normal but the following are his numbers since being with her - at least what I have been given which is a whole different story in itself.
    I am still paying for his vet care/ vet plan and need to figure out if I feel I should go get him or if he is safe there.

March 22nd - 81
    3/23 - 110
    3/24 - 96
    3/25 - 127
    3/26 - 82
    3/27 -117
    3/28 - 90
    3/29 - 157 / 280
    3/30 - 150 / 250
    3/31 -359 / 259 / 200

Today she messages me and lets me know that he was at 509 and she decided to give him insulin... 2 UNITS that he friend who was apparently a vet tech dosed it for her but he was on no insulin this entire time since FEB 27th. I am very nervous he is going to dip low and have a possible hypo episode and he is currently an hour away from me. I am in MA, where I am only supposed to travel for essential purposes so I am weighing options. She does have a hypo kit I sent along with him but I am still very nervous about the whole situation especially with everything going on obviously in the world around us.

4/1 - 509 (931) / [10am INSULIN 2 units] / 417 [1121am] / BARELY ATE / got into whole 9 lives crunchy chicken and turkey treat bag /

Susan & Claudio and Deb & Wink like this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh dear... well you have to work with her so tell her what you would do then trust her to do it. sigh I hope this is good advice but thats a high number with a high dose. oi
    Hang in there for more advice and good luck@

3. Bethany&SirDraculaDupree

That is why I am getting nervous. Luckily she is listening to my advice (NOW) and admits she jumped too quickly into the insulin without talking things over with me (especially dosage). I have explained to her how to handle a hypo drop and she seems to understand all of the steps as well as having all of the required items for it as I mentioned.

I am not quite sure what the next steps are as I can't really just up and leave to go get him. Today is also a very hard day for me every year so I took today off and now have to figure this all out, ugh poor Dupree :(

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

Awwwww (((((Bethany)))))
    I think you ARE doing all you can. This is a time to try and have trust in the person who you gave charge to. Shes already admitted her mistake, thats something! An open line of communication will be your best asset.
    We are all pullin for Dupree AND you!
    Hopefully this will draw more eyes if needed.
    @Wendy&Neko

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Is it Prozinc that she has put him on? I am not a Prozinc user but I would have started on 1 unit.
    How much does SirDD weigh?
    Is she feeding him exclusively a low carb diet?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Have you heard from your friend how it went today?
    I'm sorry, not sure how I can help either. Perhaps you can get your friend to join here? Or if your spreadsheet had all the test data you took we could give a better suggestion on what dose to give. Is your friend feeding low carb wet food?

7. Bethany&SirDraculaDupree

Yes prozinc
    I would have done 1 or 0.5 unit but here we are in a possible hypo episode over night :(
    He weighs about 10 lbs
    He is being fed meaty pate 9 lives, low carb

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think 2 units is too much as well. Is the CG willing to listen to you about the dose.
    Do you think she would join here and set up a spreadsheet sheet?

Are you saying he dropped low overnight from the 2 units....surely she will lower the dose now.
    Does she have any experience with FD at all?
    How are things now?

9. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks Wendy and Bron.

Bethany please listen, try and get the care giver to join here. We can make her life a lot easier with the information you both learn here
    I hope Dupree is is ok and everything went well. sigh.
    Theres a wealth of information here. It seems daunting at first but it WILL get easier.
    Best wishes ,
    jeanne

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Bethany&SirDraculaDupree

Hello everyone, sorry it took a bit to get back on here, we moved into emergency situation very quickly. Very early this morning he suffered a seizure and the CG was unable to raise his levels (it is a very long story and I am unhappy with the a lot of details and the outcome of this situation) he continued to have complications due to hypoglycemia. I was able to get to him but unfortunately he ended up passing away on the way to the emergency vet. I am deeply saddened to let you all know this story unfortunately had a sad ending after so many positives :(

11. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

So very sorry. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  12. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

Omg I'm so sorry for your loss. This is truly a sad ending.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My deepest condolences. :bighug::bighug: Fly free little one. cat_wings>o

14. jt and trouble (GA)

Oh Bethany! Sighh I am SO so sorry. Please know you did everything you could. We know that. May Dupree's spirit stay with you during this difficult time. Man this is a gut puncher. I cant even imagine what its doing to you. My sincere condolences to you AND your care giver. she must feel terrible.
    Fly free little Dupree. Land ever so softly in mamas heart. :rb_icon:
    I am so sorry, :(
    jeanne

15. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

So very sorry for your loss. Many many hugs.

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh I am so very sorry to hear this. :bighug:

17. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sir Dracula Dupree will be sorely missed.
    Lighting a ring of candles, in loving memory of Sir Drac.

candle.jpg

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Bethany, I'm so sorry to hear about Sir Dracula, my heart breaks for you, fly free sweet boy:bighug::bighug:

19. DD & Smokey & Sissy

DD & Smokey & Sissy Member

I'm so sorry for your loss...especially after having such a time with him. God bless you and Sir DD. :bighug::rb_icon:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.