Pepe on honeymoon?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Pepe's mom, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pepe's mom

Pepe's mom Member

Pepe is, I guess in the Honeymoon period? His numbers have been low enough since Nov 21 that he doesn't need his insulin shots. I have an appointment Wed at the vet's where I intend to educated them hometesting etc. They had told me not to test, give 1 unit of Prozinc twice a day and come back after Thanksgiving. Also to leave Purina DM dry down during the day.
    Sigh. I am printing out things to take them.

Question - how often should I test him to make sure he doesn't need insulin again?

thanks

Sharon and Pepe

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

This is great news! Congratulations to you for sticking it out and educating yourself (and possibly your vet)! I think we both joined FDMB right around the same time, so it's been nice to follow along in your journey from the beginning and to see how quickly Pepe has turned around. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure what the recommendation is for a cat that's OTJ and for how long, but I've seen it mentioned (and now can't find it anywhere) that in the first few weeks of being in the "trial-run OTJ," you test much more frequently (perhaps twice daily?) than you would after he's been OTJ for a while (once a week/month, maybe?). Hopefully someone else with more knowledge and access to some handy "OTJ monitoring" links will come by. :D

3. Pepe's mom

Pepe's mom Member

Thanks KPassa! The last vet I talked to has been the best. I took him a bunch of stuff I had printed out from this site and he was very open to it and thanked me for bringing it in. He said they only have one (ONE!!!) client that home tests!!! I took him a copy of my spreadsheet which he put in Pepe's file. I hope I've opened his eyes. Hope you kitty is doing good. I haven't been keeping up on posts since I'm back at work. Luckily I was off last week to do a bunch of testing.

Sharon and Pepe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.