? Penny AMPS 204 do I still shoot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laurisaurus, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Hey everyone. This morning Penny recorded her lowest AMPS. She's been dropping fast the past few cycles so I'm a little nervous to shoot this morning. I actually have an appointment at 10 so I'll be out of the house from 9:30 to 11:30 and won't be able to monitor her. Someone will be here but he'll be in meetings and doesn't know how to take BG yet.

What should I do? Not shoot? shoot half?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, just looking at Penny's spreadsheet. BRB ...

Mogs

3. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I just took another reading and she was at 210 30 minutes after eating.

4. Critter Mom

The lower AMPS is likely due to the depot getting better established.

I would not give 1IU unless I was able to test during this cycle. (ETA: You're in the early days of treatment so there's not enough data yet to give you a really good idea of how Penny might do on this cycle.)

If it were my cat, I would skip the dose but I am ultra-cautious. (It will disrupt the depot a little but that ground can be regained.)

A reduced dose is another option. It would disrupt the depot less. (I'd still bottle it if it were me.)

Other members may have different takes.

Ultimately you hold the syringe and you need to do what you consider to be the safest action.

I'm not much help, am I! :rolleyes:

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  5. Critter Mom

That reading's food-influenced so it can't be used as a sound basis for making a dosing decision.

Mogs

6. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

No, it is helpful. I have to go get my car fixed so I can't be here to monitor this morning so I'll skip and see how she does.

I haven't been doing this long enough to feel confident in her patterns yet. If I could be home to test every hour then I would go ahead because I really want her to get into the green.

7. Critter Mom

Penny will still have some cover during this cycle from the insulin already in the depot.

I always use the 'better too high for a day than too low for a minute' maxim. With the exception of some kitties who have ketone issues or are recovering from DKA, skipping a dose is not the end of the world. :)

Mogs

8. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Also, this is good. Skipping a dose will let me easily change my shoot time from 7 to closer to 6, which is much better for my schedule.

9. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

She was 337 when I left at 9:30 this morning. Hopefully she doesn’t go too high today.

10. Critter Mom

Fingers and paws crossed she won't. IF PMPS is a little way off when you get home, it might be an idea to snag a quick 'in the door' test to see how Penny's doing.

Mogs

11. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I plan to test her a few time this afternoon. It’s good practice for me anyway.

I even grabbed a test from non DM Charlie today so that I could see a normal number (he was 97).

I’ve got to figure out my lancet depth though. I’ve been piercing a lot of ears lately. Oops. At least no one seems to mind.

12. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh they dont mind until they do. :oops:

Good luck today!

13. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Anything over 200 is a shootable number for me on Lantus especially at a low dose like 1. But ECID so did you read the Lantus sticky notes?

See below:

How to handle a lower than normal preshot number:

Until you collect enough data to know how your cat will react, we suggest following the guidelines in the FDMB's FAQ Q4.4:
    Q4.4. My cat's pre-shot level was way below the usual value. Should I give the injection?
    A4.4. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.
    • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
      • a.) give nothing
      • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
      • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.
    • Above the normal pre-shot value, give the usual dose, but if the pre-shot value is consistently elevated, it's a good idea to schedule a full glucose curve to see whether a change in dose or insulin is appropriate. In most cases, the target "peak" value should not be below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L), and for some cats it might be higher.
    Keep in mind these are general guidelines, and they should be personalized to your own cat's response to insulin. If your experience is that your cat does not became hypoglycemic with a dose which is close to her usual, then personal experience should be your guide.

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

15. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I dont know what I’m following yet, I’m only 6 days in.

16. Critter Mom

I've done that!

In my early days here I remember asking what a non-diabetic's BG levels might look like during the day. Answer came there none, so I ran a mini-curve on my civvie. :oops:

It proved very helpful information (thank you, Lúnasa!).

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.