Peeka 9/1 Bounce Edition

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peter (Peeka&Boo), Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Hey y’all,

I was told yesterday to expect a bounce. Last night we definitely had one, this morning though her numbers were off the charts. Granted, I only got a +1 today, but they were still fairly high at 491 AMPS and 309 +1. I gave her some temptations before leaving, just in case. My sister will be around until 1CST today and keep an eye on things. Walk is looking about the same as yesterday, not quite as bad as this weekend, which I am thankful for.

Trying to reframe my mindset about these things and instead of being upset about her high numbers, I’m just going to be thankful we are experiencing our first bounce, and be thankful for her numbers yesterday.

Hope everyone has a good Tuesday!

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Absolutely love today's thread title, Peter! :D

Bounces break. Peeka will be paddling in the lagoon again. :)

Mogs

3. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

So just to confirm, these things are normal, correct? I haven’t seen a 491 since she was last at the vet. I’m assuming her 309 would continue to drop as well if I would have tested later. I’m just trying to do what I can at this point.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you had a chance to look at freeze dried treats yet? I know you’re sticking with dry food, but the dry food and high carb treats combo is no bueno. You should start to move away from temptations to something like PureBites or VitalEssentials. Order from Chewy and it gets delivered to your doorstep. If she doesn’t like what you picked, they’ll refund your money.

5. Critter Mom

Bounces are very common, Peter.

Peeka had a significant drop very early in the cycle, and the Vetsulin was only kicking at that stage. There's no way of knowing for sure without doing a BG test, but it is probable that she would have gone lower by +2/+3.

ETA: Because Vetsulin can drop numbers a lot, even from an unusually high AMPS, I always gauged the safety of the dose on the nadir BG.

That's all any of us can do, Peter. :)

Mogs

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Peter if I may... I think you get focused on a high number and it freaks you out. Dont let one number determine your day. It happens. Sometimes for no reason at all. Look at the big picture. I mean you HAVE blue numbers! This early into Peeka's journey. That in itself is an accomplishment. I would have KILLED to have yellow numbers at this point.
    You're doing a good job. One important thing I needed to learn is BREATHE dont forget to BREATHE.
    j.

7. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I just get a little concerned about a 190 point drop in an hour, so I give a little something to help out. I'm sure the BG will be fine, I just am not home to monitor, so I try and give myself a little buffer. We have purebites, Peeka and Boo both love them!

8. Critter Mom

That is a good choice, Peter. It can help slow the drop (kinder on a cat's system).

Mogs

9. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Will do, a little bit of background, this whole ordeal has given me a fair amount of anxiety that the wife and I are trying to work through. Having things somewhat outside of my control and wearing my heart on my sleeve are something I'm currently trying to address in my personal life. It's also why I can't thank you all enough for the support you have given me so far. Any time my wife asks me questions, my response is "Let me check with the forum and see what they think"

That's why I'm trying to reframe my mindset and not live and die in the moment and the numbers I see, and instead try and focus on positives I see, even if they may not be evident in the moment.

10. jt and trouble (GA)

11. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

The longer we go on, the more I'm learning about what it is exactly we are looking for. That's why I'm thinking about trying to spread out testing as much as I am able to in order to try and paint a better picture. In the beginning, I thought I was trying to consistently get a +3/+4, but I think now it may be better to try and get other times to help fill in the picture.

12. Critter Mom

You need to look at trends, not individual BG test results* - hence the spreadsheet! :)

Mogs

(* You do need to pay attention to single readings when the BG levels are low.)

13. jt and trouble (GA)

Exactly its like a jigsaw puzzle. ;):D:cool:

14. Critter Mom

The +3 / +4 are very important for safety because that's when the Vetsulin is working at its hardest and you're most likely to catch nadir BG. Tests between +5 and +7 are likely to give you information on later nadirs, and from +7 onwards will give you information about dose duration.

Mogs

15. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

As always, I appreciate the insight and the information. We are slowly but surely making changes, not just for Peeka but for myself as well. I never thought her getting diabetes would lead to as much internal reflection as it has, but here we are. I can't thank you all enough for the support you have given me the last few weeks. Without you all, I can't imagine how we would have gotten along with all of this!

16. jt and trouble (GA)

And we are glad to have gained your trust. Its ALL about the cats! We luv em. :bighug:
    As crazy as they drive us, we luv em.
    j

ETA : And if we can help their hoomans along the way...Well thats just icing on the cake...sugar free that is :p

17. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I don’t think I agree. Sorry Mogs. Dry is not the best to slow down a drop. It takes longer to work and it stays in their system longer too. I wonder if in these instances, it wouldn’t be more beneficial to add a medium card wet food as a treat. Like Fancy Feast Grilled. One tablespoon or so should do the trick

18. Critter Mom

Good point, but if the dry is the only thing available it's better than nowt. In this particular case that drop was at +1 and with Vetsulin numbers could continue to drop hard for another two hours, plenty of time for the dry food to work its way into the system.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.