Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Hey everyone! Well, I’m honestly not sure where to begin. I was over the moon last night with Peeka not only managing to get up on our bed, which is quite high, but we even got to set up her “Peeky pouch” where one corner of the comforter is folded over next to me and she snuggles next close for some pets.

This morning there was noticeably less of a hitch in her walk. It’s still there, to be sure, but it does feel like she is struggling less to move around. When i opened up a package of pretzels today she ZOOMED over from the living room to the kitchen, thinking it was her PureBites. Even resting on her hind legs for a brief moment to do so. My sister walked past her in the living room and made her way into the guest room, picked up the phone and dialed a number, by the time she was done with that, less than a minute task, Peeka was already in the room laying down.

sorry for the abundance of information, and while all this does not mean she is cured, I’m so happy to see shades of my sweet Peeks again. There are still struggles to walk at times and it is still hard to watch, but there are other times where the progress made is undeniable. I have updated her numbers for the PM today. She was a 302 PMPS, and a 223 +4 give or take 30 minutes.

Again, thank you all for the encouragement and for the wonderful advice. Not only do I feel like Peeka is in a better spot from this time last week, but I also feel mentally in a much better position knowing she may be doing better and not waking up in the middle of the night to make sure she is ok.

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

That’s wonderful to hear and for you to witness I’m sure!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

@Critter Mom i wonder if it’s time for a .25 dose increase or maybe a curve? :bookworm:

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I think I take that back. You need a week on SLGS and that’s the only protocol for Vetsulin and dry food I believe. But let’s see what Mogs thinks :cat:

4. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Going to continue and record some stats for better testing, especially the PM shots, but that’s what I have everyone here for and y’all’s guidance!

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I think a curve on the AM cycle would be helpful but it depends on when Peter and his good lady are able to fit it into their very, very busy schedules. Definitely need more PS tests (AM and PM) and some more tests at +3 and +4 marks (even some +2s would help). Occasional spot checks between +7 and +10 would throw light on dose duration (and perhaps catch any sneaky late nadirs).

On dosing, I tend not to comment much on that unless I think a cat's in danger. I do sometimes comment on how I think the cat is doing overall at a particular stage but I always ask members to discuss dose adjustments - particularly increases - with their vets. (I'm not the one holding the syringe and I don't have full visibility of the overall environment in which the cat is being treated.) If, however, a vet were to recommend a dose adjustment that I considered dangerous I would share such concerns with the caregiver and suggest they go back to the vet to discuss further, armed with their spreadsheet data.

Mogs

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I don’t consult with my vet on dosage anymore. They always want to go up or down by a full unit and adjust based on preshot numbers. I’d much rather come here and ask for guidance

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

If Peter follows the SLGS protocol we have here, after a week there would be a .25 increase but I don’t know who the vetsulin experts here are. Maybe a post in that forum would be a good idea?

9. Critter Mom

Saoirse had her one and only symptomatic hypo when I followed poor veterinary advice. I wanted to reduce the dose at the beginning of that cycle (MAJOR crisis with food intake - she was refusing w/d Dry kitty cornflakes as prescribed by her previous vet and would only eat Purina DM wet food, which is less than 10% carbs). The duty vet at our new practice advised me to hold the dose and at that stage I was not quite confident enough about dosing or going against a veterinary recommendation. I followed the vet's guidance, Saoirse's numbers absolutely tanked - several hundred points in 3 hours - and she had hypo symptoms while still in the normal BG range.

In the immediate aftermath I would discuss dosing adjustments with our main vet at the practice, but the final decision was always mine. As Saoirse's data accumulated and my knowledge and confidence grew (thank you, FDMB!) I showed our main vet the dosing protocol I wanted to follow, he was happy with that and he had access to Saoirse's spreadsheet. We agreed to have regular reviews of her progress, and he let me get on with it. We might have slight disagreements about minor things from time to time but he trusted my judgment (and Saoirse's data!) and was very supportive and collaborative.

It's one thing to make dosing decisions for one's own cat. I know exactly how well I'm set up and what my capability is to handle any problems that might arise. It's a whole 'nother ballgame when another cat and another caregiver are involved. I'm not a vet. I always refer caregivers back to their vets on dosing.

Other members are more comfortable about answering dosing questions.

On Vetsulin/Caninsulin experience, I've used this insulin myself and I've worked with the caregivers of a fair number of cats receiving it since I became a member at FDMB. (Did a little bit to help save the lives of a few who were being overdosed.)

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  10. Critter Mom

PS: If a given caregiver's vet is an FD numpty, I do sometimes suggest they go shopping for another one. ;)

Mogs

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

That’s great to know! I can never think of who to tag for Vetsulin other than Janet

That’s interesting. I’m the opposite. It’s easier for me to look at the big picture and follow the protocols based on the data when it’s someone else’s cat. When it’s Minnie, I feel like a newby and have no idea what to do next. Right now I’m trying to follow TR and I know I should be increasing faster but I chicken out :nailbiting:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  13. Critter Mom

@Aleluia Grugru & Minnie -

I followed general principles and Saoirse's numbers, applied the knowledge I gained here, and asked questions of my vet and members here when I needed input to help me make a decision.

WRT other people's cats, I'll try to pass on knowledge I've gained but I would never forgive myself if I made a poor suggestion and something happened to the cat. As I said above, I'm not a vet.

BTW, you're not the only one who has balked at dose increases. With the exception of that time following the vet's advice when I felt completely uncomfortable about it as outlined above, I've always been super cautious in my approach to insulin treatment. There have been times when I may have been quite nervous about a dose adjustment. If I knew I could monitor Saoirse reliably and was confident of my ability to intervene and manage the situation properly I would proceed, if there was doubt in my mind about her safety I would not. There were some occasions when some member or other here might suggest a more aggressive course of action regarding Saoirse's treatment but I didn't follow those recommendations. I disagreed with them.

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.