Paid Feline Diabetes Focus Group - London - 90 minutes -£140

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by UK London Researcher, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UK London Researcher

UK London Researcher New Member

World One are a well-established medical market research company, based in London. We manage projects on all aspects of healthcare – medical, pharmaceutical and social aspects of patient care and the treatment/prophylaxis of disease. We are constantly involving laboratory personnel, surgeons, nurses and doctors of all specialities in our studies.

We are undertaking a research project for a leading pharmaceutical company and we are organising a discussion with a select group of Cat owners to conduct research regarding injectable insulin

You will only be required to attend to discuss your experience as a cat owner administering insulin to your cat and the general wellbeing and unmet need regarding injectable insulin treatment

We do not require your cat's attendance (since most are busy in the evenings) nor do we want to test any agents on your cat

The discussion will take 90 minutes and will be conducted in central London towards the end of November

To thank you for your time in helping us, we will provide an honorarium of £140 payable as cash on the day.

World One adheres to the British Market Research Society Code of Conduct. This code assures confidentiality of the respondent, and means that we will not pass on information concerning respondent’s name or personal details to any third party unless your permission is given.

If you know of anyone else that would like to attend please forward them my contact details

Thank you

Lee Murphy

0208 292 6872
    0793 956 0941

lee.murphy@yahoo.co.uk

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Re: Paid Feline Diabetes Focus Group - London - 90 minutes -

Hello Lee,

Is this with a view to producing a new form of insulin? Just wondering why World One are interested....

BTW You don't need to add your email address to your message. And in fact you may wish to remove it in case you get spammed. People can contact you via PM if they're interested.

Elizabeth in Surrey

PS. Was it you who posted on the 'Petforums' website? If so, folks wouldn't have been able to respond to you there because you need to have clocked up a number of posts before you can be PM'd there.

3. Helene & Cleo

Helene & Cleo Member

It sounds interesting. I would like to have a bit more info re. what the research is in aid of. i.e. new insulin development, prescribing regimes of existing insulins...?

It would be good to know which pharma company the research is being undertaken for also, to be honest.

H

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

My experience with focus groups is that they typically do not tell you what they are looking for or who the client is. You go there, they ask questions, you voice your opinions and they and the client then analyze it and you get paid for doing this.

Personally, I'd say go and be vocal. 140 pounds is a nice payment for 90 minutes of your time. Who knows you may help move feline diabetes treatment forward in the UK. That my US$ 2 cents worth :D

5. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

It does sound interesting.

Wish it was around here, I'd love to talk about my experiences shooting the cat twice a day :lol:

6. UK London Researcher

UK London Researcher New Member

Hilary is correct :)

We are not allowed to reveal the pharma company.

However, it does make a very nice change that pharma companies have chosen to get owner feedback rather than just conducting reseach with vets.

There will be a discussion encouraging opinions on the current insulin regimen that you are giving to your cats which would also indentify unmet needs and QOL impact

A Product X will be displayed and again a discussion to see if this does hit the mark and would be have the improvements wanted by the owners

As Hilary suggests - Be vocal and your opinion will count towards future advancements in feline diabetes treatment (anonymously, of course :) )

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Yep, very interested in this... And could donate the money to a cat rescue charity.... Hmmm....

...Just need to work out if I can get up to London and then home again in time to give my cat his insulin shot! :lol:

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

OK, I'm not in the UK, but would love to participate, I can skype or phone in....what do you say, would that work?! ;-)

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Transpires there are 2 focus groups, one on Mon 19th Nov and one on Tues 20th Nov, 5pm near Regent's Park.

I'm going to the Tues 20th one and that is now booked up, but they're still looking for 10 people for the Mon 19th session.

(Aw, shucks, Hilary; shame you can't be there.. ;-) )

10. Helene & Cleo

Helene & Cleo Member

Is anyone else attending this conference tomorrow?

I know Elizabeth is going on the Tuesday session (shame we aren't both attending on the same day, isn't it Eliz?)

I shall be there tomorrow, and a friend of mine with a recently diagnosed sugar kitty has also managed to get a place at the conference. Any others going to be there?

H

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Helene,

Great that you're going tomorrow! Brilliant! :smile: (but yes, shame we won't meet up for a natter!)

I don't know of anyone else from FDMB who is going, but I know someone from the Petforums uk forum who is going tomorrow. Her name is Claire, she has a lot of experience of feline diabetes, and I'm sure will be pushing the importance of hometesting pretty strongly!

I'm very curious to know what "product X" is, aren't you? Personally, I'd love a BG meter that you can just wave over your cat and have the numbers come up in flashing neon lights! :lol:

After your experience tomorrow do let me know if there's anything I need to know before Tuesday evening! ;-)

Elix x

12. hmjohnston

Check and see if they have anything in the works about a tattoo (like humans can get) or a band (like a collar)- they are coming out with a watch that humans can use as well to see what the BG level is.

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I doubt they will reveal what they are researching. You may be able to piece together their focus based on the direction of the questions asked. Regardless, be open, honest and be sure to give your opinions! It's the only way to get them thinking about our exact needs and wants.

Wave a meter over the head :lol: :lol:

14. Helene & Cleo

Helene & Cleo Member

Well that was VERY interesting. I shan't reveal any info publicly until after tomorrow's session, but yepp, that was worth the trip the London for. And the £140 cash is muchly appreciate too (crikey the train fare to London was expensive!!)

H

15. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Ooooh -- do tell! I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear all about it!

16. hmjohnston

On pins and needles!

17. Elizabeth and Bertie

Well......

The focus groups were to gauge reaction to a possible new Lantus/Glargine pen. Tada!!! :smile:

Although a few folks do use Lantus in the UK it is not used a lot, and is not available as a penlet. So, given that Lantus is such a good insulin for cats it would be great if this new penlet meant that more people could have access to it....

There were about 7 people at the session I attended on the Tues evening. Only one other person hometested, and she also reads FDMB, so I really hope she registers and posts here.

The session was recorded and filmed, and there was also a huge 2-way mirror behind which people were observing us! The woman leading the focus group was extraordinarily strict and didn't allow any talk that veered off from directly answering her questions. We were showed a picture and a written description of the penlet and asked for our views on various aspects of it. I felt the description of the product was flawed for several reasons, but most notably because they want to say that some cats may only need one shot a day if on Lantus/Glargine.... They seem pretty keen to be able to say that with this insulin you might be able to give just one shot, because they are very aware that people don't like giving shots, so that would be a great selling point...

Oh, gotta check something. Back soon....

18. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Interesting. I wonder how their penlet, differs from the pen currently sold in the US? Or maybe it's the same thing, just not currently available in the UK.

Yes, focus group leaders can be strict. I've been in sessions where they don't have control of the group and the group goes off on tangents and the person is sitting there, flipping through their notes, trying to figure out how to get all the questions answered in the allotted time. One way mirrors and taping of the session is also quite common. This way, the people observing can interrupt send a message to the leader when they want the group to clarify something. It's also used for the people not behind the mirror to compare and address back at their office.

Hopefully, you helped to make a difference and get them to focus on the need to shoot twice a day regardless of the container used for the insulin.

Either way, you may some cool money and had a say in helping cats in the UK.

Yeah and thanks for sharing.

19. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hilary, just had a quick look at insulin pens online. The pen we saw was mauve and had half-unit increments, and looked a LOT like the Lantus Solostar....

20. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I don't think the solostars have 1/2 unit markings on it. Besides we suggest that when using the pen to not purchase the matching needle and rather to use the syringes and treat the pen as if it were a vial. Just for the reason that the needles can't be as fine tuned as the syringes - especially when micro dosing.

The good thing about pens for cats is it's a smaller container, so less waste vs a vial, if the insulin goes bad.

21. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Hilary,

Well, it's strange, because apart from the half unit markings (which the session leader said were there but we couldn't easily see from the pic) the pens look SOOO similar. During the meeting I had a bit of a moan about the fact that the session leader wouldn't let us handle the one pen that she had, or see it closely. She said it wasn't allowed. But later I just happened - by pure chance of course - to get a closer look. If it isn't a Solostar then I think Solostar may be suing these folks for making something so similar! :lol:

PS, One of the other issues that have been mentioned about the pen is the difficulty/impossibility of small or micro dosing. But if it can be used like a vial, that's great! And if whoever is making it promotes it well in the UK, that's absolutely brilliant, because SO many folks here are stuck with Caninsulin, which, as we know, ain't the easiest insulin to use.... :roll: The real hurdle here in the UK, I think, will be persuading vets to prescribe it because so many of them aren't familiar with it... :sad:

22. Hillary & Maui (GA)

yea, the pens whether for levimer or lantus again are designed for humans who typically use higher doses than our cats. so while the pen is handy, dandy and easy to carry - ie. in a purse, it;s intended to be a more convenient way of using the insulin for humans.

we like it for cats because it is sold in a 5 pack and follow the same protocols, keep in fridge, etc. and if you get with a long expiration date - like 2 years or more, it will be good unopened until the expiration date. each pen contains a smaller amount than the vial, but for cats that just helps to ensure less waste.

also in the US, the cost for 5 pens is higher than the vial, but it is worth it as you only open one pen at a time. some pharmacies in the US will even sell one pen at a time, so if cost is an issue buying one pen rather than a box of 5, will help spread the cost out over time.

and yea, our trick is to pretend it's a vial and treat it the same way with a syringe, then it really won't matter how the pen is marked. Plus there is an extra charge for the needle that goes with the pen. again, an unnecessary expense, when you can buy a box of 100 syringes cheap.

23. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The NovoPen Jounior is the only pen that I know of that has 1/2 unit marking that can use an insulin somewhat suitable for cats. However, it onny can use:
    • Convenient – Novolin® PenFill® 3 mL cartridges do not require refrigeration when the product is in use and are available in the most widely used insulin formulations: R, N, and 70/30.1
    http://www.novonordisk.com/diabetes_car ... efault.asp

There is also the
    HumaPen LUXUrA HD is a reusable pen that can deliver from
    1 to 30 units of Humalog in half-unit increments, beginning
    after the first unit. HumaPen LUXUrA HD is available for use
    with Humalog (insulin lispro injection [rDnA origin]) 3 mL insulin cartridges. This pen is attractive to people with diabetes
    who do not need large amounts of insulin, or parents of some
    children with diabetes.
    But HumaLog is very fast action.

24. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

It seems to me that what we would really need for cats would be a way to accurately microdose. Syringes. . .that's what always gets everyone's knickers in a twist :) Pens that give half units, as all have stated, are not accurate enough.

I am sure there wouldn't be a market for this that was large enough for profitability, but if a veterinary insulin were developed with fewer units per volume. . .it would be so much easier to give accurate doses to a small animal.

My two cents as a mama who microdosed my way to remission!

25. Elizabeth and Bertie

The idea, with the pen they showed us, is that they want folks to buy a new pre-filled pen every month, and throw the previous one away.... They seem to be looking at a cost of £30 per unit for that. I wonder if they're going to test the market here in the UK - as it's a smaller market - before launching in the US...?

26. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Well that cost is about the same as the lantus pen here. 5 pens cost about $210-250 depending on where you find it, so a single can be $42 - 50, which is a little less expensive than 30 pounds, but definitely comparable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.