Out of remission??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Our Dolly Girl (GA), Aug 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

I am trying not to panic. Dolly has been in remission since late January/early February. I never did tight regulation rather followed her vets directions. Her numbers haven’t been great but all blues and greens, mostly greens. She hasn’t been eating well the last few days. She can’t smell and I have been trying fish pate which she normally never eats. No increase in water and peeing all normal. Just checked her (after food) I always check her an hour or two after she eats, she is 235 this morning at 8am and 246 at 9am. She was 103 - 8/15, 82 - 8/08. My Lantus was used one time back in January. It’s looks cloudy. I need direction.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ueQjwC-3X5JwzyhRhQcpNNQHjKJuNhvdPj4HywQiN5Y/htmlview#

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Infections can raise BG, I'd do a fructosamine before introducing insulin again. She may just need a dental.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi there,

You mention that Dolly can't smell. Is this an ongoing issue for her or could she have recently developed an upper respiratory tract infection? Infections can knock cats out of remission but that may only be temporary if the infection is dealt with promptly. Insulin treatment may need to be reinstated for a while till it clears.

If the Lantus vial is cloudy then I reckon it's a gonner. If it was mine I wouldn't use it.

Mogs

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

sending prayers and best wishes sigh

5. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Her teeth are perfect, the few she has left. She was just at the vet. She has had sinusitis for years. She is on Azithromycin every 72 hours for congestion. She took it for 3 days first. I am supposed to start her on Covenia for inflammation and allergies. We were going to start today. The numbers were after food. I will check her throughout the day and if things don’t improve will take her to the emergency vet Thanks for your input.

6. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I definitely was not planning on using it. Thank you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much.

8. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Yesterday was her third day of Azithromycin. The vet says she does not have an infection. Her vet is “The Cat Doctor”, obviously a cat only vet. She’s been going there for seven years but things feel so different with the virus. We email a lot and I asked her if I could give her the Azithromycin as an antibiotic, normally she gets it every 72 hours for her congestion. She said fine, but again, doesn’t feel it’s a respiratory infection. She had bloodwork last month. As posted, her BG was 103 on the 15th and 82 on the 8th On her ReliOn. I don’t know when her blood sugar started rising between the 15th and today. She just ate and other than the poor appetite and her numbers rising, everything else seems okay. I am going to take her to the vet for new bloodwork and hopefully find out what’s going on. Thanks for your reply.

9. Critter Mom

I'm glad Dolly managed to eat.

I think a vet check-up is a good plan. I think Elizabeth's earlier suggestion about getting a fructosamine test as part of any diagnostic work-up is wise.

Be sure to let us know how you get on. More prayers on the way from across the pond.

Mogs

10. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Trying to find a vet that will see her. The one possibility is not recommended by any the other vets including hers. So frustrating. Thank you for Your reply!!

11. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I just took Dolly to an emergency vet. Could not get in anywhere else. The Doctor said based on her labs from last month her tryglicer
    Just took Dolly to an emergency vet. They said her triglycerides are too high and needs to be on lower fat diet. Hills Science WD or Royal Canin Glycobalance. Said Friskies and Fancy Feast have too much fat. Blood test will take 5-10 for results, I passed, Fructosamine test results by Monday. No insulin for now. I am taking her to her vet Monday. I am just as panicked as before.

12. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You'll have a better idea when the fructosamine test is in.
    Don't panic. You've done the sugar dance before. If by any chance Dolly is out of remission, you know the ropes and you have a worldwide community to support you every step of the way.

13. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Tha
    nk you
    Thank you so much. I just don’t know what to do in the interim. Do I keep testing her? If the numbers keep getting higher what do I do? I’m confident in treating her diabetes, I know there are people like you to help me along the way. It’s the not treating.

Thank goodness she ate tonight and she seems good except the usual sinus issues. And - Possible return to active diabetes.

Take care, be safe.
    Do I keep testing until Monday?
    Thank you Again.
    Adrienne & Dolly

14. Critter Mom

Hi Adrienne,

Since Dolly's not on insulin at the moment there's no real need to test at the moment. That said, if you perhaps would like to get a little better idea of how Dolly's pancreas is handling food prior to your vet visit tomorrow, you could perhaps grab just a couple of tests:

1. Test at a time when Dolly hasn't eaten anything for at least 2 hours, and just before you give Dolly her next meal.

2. Test again about 1-1.25 hours after she has eaten to see how much of a rise she gets after food.

3. Test a third time about 2.5-3 hours after the time she was fed to see if her pancreas is producing enough insulin to bring numbers back down again.

For info, Hill's w/d is stuffed to the rafters with carbohydrates, you might as well feed a cat honey nut cornflakes. Not sure of the carb values of the RC Glycobalance foods, but they are higher than Dolly's current diet, but sometimes other medical issues need to trump diabetes in the treatment pecking order. I'd suggest asking your own vet more about the elevated triglyceride issue and dietary considerations. I'd also suggest putting Dolly's most recent test results into her spreadsheet (click on the 'Labs' tab to find where to enter the data). There are members here experienced in a lot of cat health areas who could perhaps then have a look at the labs and maybe suggest additional options on food.

Sending scritches for Dolly, good wishes for her to eat well today, and a :bighug: for you.

Mogs

15. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you for the testing suggestions. I will do that. I fed her around 20 minutes ago and she only ate a couple bites. I leave her food out awhile and try other foods in hopes she likes something. She played last night for the first time in a week. I have her last three labs on her spreadsheet. The only concern the vet had yesterday was her weight/triglycerides. I remember discussing this in a post with Chris R in the past and she said China’s were also crazy high. Dolly’s vet just told me a week ago she needed to lose 2#. Nothing about food change. Thank you so much.

16. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I wanted to add I was testing Dolly on both her ReliOn and her pet meter. The last test I did I noticed the numbers were way to close. 283 on the pet, 271 on the ReliOn. I did a control solution on both, nothing has expired. The tests were in range. The first test yesterday was 305 on the pet 235 on the ReliOn. I don’t know what to trust. I will just use her ReliOn today.

17. Critter Mom

I agree about sticking with the Relion, Adrienne, as that's what you've been using for all her recent tests.

As many will testify here, there's no way of reliably relating results from pet meters with those from human meters.

All the strips are within date, and you've tested with the control solution. Sounds like all is fine with the testing supplies. :)

Mogs

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A few thoughts...

I was going to ask if you had previous labs with Dolly's triglycerides and then I looked at your SS. Just an FYI, diabetes can cause elevated levels but I'd want to make sure other causes are ruled out. If the labs weren't done when Dolly was fasting, that may also have skewed results. However, given where your cat's levels are, I'd suspect her triglycerides would still be high.

The foods that the ER vet suggested are high in carbs. If you put Dolly on high carb food, you are likely going to knock her out of remission. As Mogs noted, sometimes, getting the other health issues addressed may be necessary and the FD takes a backseat. I'd look at Dr. Lisa's food chart and see if you can find a food that's low in carbs and low in fat, or at least a lot lower in fat than what you're currently using. I suspect this will be a challenge. You may want to consider a switch to a freeze dried raw food (e.g., Stella & Chewy's) or air dried raw (ZiwiPeak). These are lower fat options. Ideally, you want to get the fat to around 25%. Another alternative is a raw diet where you can control the protein source and the amount of fat.

Adding more fiber to her diet may help. Psyllium husk is a frequently used fiber source but talk to your vet. Omega-3 may also help. (Look into Nordic Naturals - they are a very reputable resource for Omega-3.)

19. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you. My only reason for using both meters is that her vet only uses the Alpha
    Thank you. My only reason for using both meters is that her vet only uses the Alphatrack. I use those numbers when emailing her updates on Dolly’s numbers.

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. Critter Mom

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) - Thank you for looking at Dolly's labs for Adrienne. :)

Additional Suggestion:

Some cats don't get on with fish oils. Another alternative is Moxxor omega-3 (available online). It's not cheap but the omega-3 is sourced from green-lipped mussels and it comes in really small capsules suitable for a cat.

Mogs

21. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I have tried different raw foods with Dolly and she won’t eat them. We actually came down to one food she would consistently eat, Friskies Chicken and Liver Pate, Crude fat 5.0%. I need to see what it says on catinfo list. I was just looking into Omega 3 on Amazon the other day. I will discuss the fiber etc with her vet. She actually ate a little Friskies fish this last week but she has always been tricky to feed and of course pre diabetes lots of junk dry food. I, like probably so many, have tried almost every type of food, every flavor. She finally ate a little of her Chicken and Liver this morning.

22. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much for you time and help.

23. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

“Your” time. Hate typos.

24. Critter Mom

Same here. :)

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Please look on Dr. Lisa's site. The Friskies Liver & Chicken pate is 60% fat. There's no way a food that has a fair amount of liver in it is going to be 5% fat. You're looking at the info on the Friskies site which is the guaranteed analysis. You need the numbers for the "as fed" nutritional data. Typically, these data are not provided by the manufacturer which is why Dr. Lisa's chart is so helpful.

26. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I just noticed a mistake in my post. I am supposed to start her on Cerenia not covenia. It’s a 1/4 tab daily. It’s used to treat arthritis, inflammation, congestion, pain. Dolly is a nightmare to pill. She does not cooperate like the cats in the videos. I give her the Azithromycin as a liquid in a syringe. I gave her the Cerenia this way for 11 days but she started foaming and drooling it out. Pills require holding her head up, she is so strong. We paid a fortune for the chews but would not touch them. I tasted them so I can understand why, so bitter even with chicken flavoring. I get all her meds sugar free.

27. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I just noticed a mistake in my post. I am supposed to start her on Cerenia not covenia. It’s a 1/4 tab daily. It’s used to treat arthritis, inflammation, congestion, pain. Dolly is a nightmare to pill. She does not cooperate like the cats in the videos. I give her the Azithromycin as a liquid in a syringe. I gave her the Cerenia this way for 11 days but she started foaming and drooling it out. Pills require holding her head up, she is so strong. We paid a fortune for the chews but would not touch them. I tasted them so I can understand why, so bitter even with chicken flavoring. I get all her meds sugar free.
    i figured the liver had to be high and probably why she likes it. I have used this chart (Dr Lisa’s)for info in the past, I will revisit today. Thank you so much for your help.

28. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Convenia is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that's used to manage pain. If you are in the US, it is problematic an carried a black box warning for its use in cats. It can cause acute renal failure. The dosing is different outside of the US. My vet will not prescribe Convenia and I have instructions about not allowing it to be prescribed all over her medical records.

Cerenia is used to treat nausea. It is notoriously bitter. There's even a note about it on the package insert for the pills. My cats have always been fine to pill and I would put the Cerenia in a gel cap to prevent the drooling and foaming. It can be given as an injection but it stings. I don't know if it can be compounded as a transdermal gel. The place that made the chews for you may be able to tell you.

29. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

My error in first saying Covenia. Throughout the last 7 years that we have had Dolly, she was given many injections of Covenia for upper respiratory infections. Then, I read about the negatives and would never let her get it again. The Cerenia is no longer just for nausea, the dose is just different. It is expensive but what a great idea, transdermal. I wish all meds could be transdermal. The problem is, for her, it’s basically forever per her vet. We adopted Dolly at age 4. She came to us with allergies and been through so many different meds. She was put on DepoMedrol last September which caused the diabetes. We caught it early. She has also had many tests and Bollo X-rays to check for polyps a couple years back. Her doctor said she is too congested now to do Bollo X-rays. The next thing would be very expensive CT scan. Right now I just want to deal with the diabetes and hope it is just inflammation causing the sudden leap in her numbers. I haven’t checked them yet today but I am going to follow the advice given on this thread on checking how her pancreas is working with food. Thank you so much for the information and your time. I did get gel caps for the pills.

30. Critter Mom

Just double-checking this, Sienne. I thought that Convenia was an antibiotic.

Mogs

31. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Critter Mom You are correct. My brain isn't working properly. I confused it with metacam. However given that it's a long duration antibiotic, my vet and others won't use it in case there's an allergic reaction. It sounds like Dolly has taken it before and it's been fine.

@Our Dolly Girl - If she's congested, have you tried getting the bathroom really steamy and "steaming" your kitty? It may help to break up the congestion.

32. Critter Mom

Same here on the no Convenia stipulation, Sienne. I've also got a caveat about metacam on the notes.

Mogs

33. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Yes to the steamy bathroom but it just comes back. We have been running a cool mist humidifier 24/7 for the last 3 years. Don’t have any idea if it helps but reluctant to discontinue. I’ve stopped for a day or two but not sure if there is a difference.

34. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I found some low carb, low fat food. Fancy Feast Naturals and Fussy Cat to name a few. Dolly will not eat either, or not in the past. I guess it’s going to be a waiting her out, if all that’s offered and if hungry enough, she will eventually eat. Boy do I hate doing that but it may be my only option. There have been times where she has chose to not eat and after a few hours I have caved. I have spent hundreds of dollars and waste on trying new foods. When she was diagnosed all she ate was Fancy Feast shredded chicken, 11% carbs, for years. Why are the low fat foods so high in carbs? I do put FortiFlora on her food to get her to eat. Do you know the fat % of Dr Elsey’s? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you .

35. Critter Mom

Here's a link to a food list, Adrienne:

Dr. Pierson's Food List 2017 - Sortable

It's a tad long in the tooth date-wise but it might give you a steer as to what brands/varieties could be worth investigating. You'd obviously need to check the current formulations to make sure the fat and content percentages haven't changed.

Tip: If you right click with your mouse on the spreadsheet header at the top of the % Fat column (says 'D') it will give you the option to sort the table by fat content (Sort A-Z).

I feel for you. Food issues are a complete mare. :bighug:

Mogs

36. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

:mad:
    Thank you so much. I hope you, your family and your kitty(s) are all healthy and happy. :cat::)

37. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I think Dr. Elsey's came on the market after Dr. Lisa came up with her list. Most of the folks here are more concerned with carbs than fat. You might need to contact the manufacturer for the "as fed" values.

38. jt and trouble (GA)

Sorry Dolly is a picky eater. I have one of those too although mine isnt diabetic. Hundreds of dollars of food end up in the trash almost weekly. Hope you can find that right balance with Dolly. She sure is a cute'ums. :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  39. jt and trouble (GA)

This would be correct.

40. Critter Mom

Ah, thank you too, Adrienne. :bighug:

There's just myself and this little one (Lúnasa, aka The Noodle):

Lúnasa 14th Birthday Scratchy Pole.jpg

Mogs

41. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

:) Thank you :)

42. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

The Noodle is precious :bighug:

43. Red & Rover (GA)

I hope you find some answers tomorrow.

44. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Me too!! Thank you. I am going to wait till Tuesday when her Fructosamine results will be back. That should be Monday but I need the results sent to her vet.

45. Red & Rover (GA)

46. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

47. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I did what you suggested. I tested her, no food for over 2 hours, 4:40 pm, 285. Fed her and she ate a few bites, how she normally eats, it takes her hours. Tested Her at 6:00, 292. Three bowls of different foods, a bite or two from each. I gave her Mirtazapine at the beginning of last week because of the appetite problem she’s had the last week. I hate to give it to her again, transdermal. She just gets a little off. I’m not sure what to do. She hasn’t lost any weight. I know she would eat a bag of treats right now, just not canned food. :arghh: I limit her Dr Elsey’s.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  48. Critter Mom

Hi Adrienne,

Thanks for posting the BG results. At least the food didn't appear to spike Dolly's BG.

It's good that Dolly's maintaining her weight. Regarding appetite, an alternative appy stimulant is cyproheptadine. It is shorter-acting than the mirtz but it's more controllable for it (a dose of 0.5mg (10lb cat) is usually effective for about 8 hours or so). Here's some more information:

marvistavet Pharmacy Library - Cyproheptadine

The above link gives info on this med, including suitability and contraindications. NB: cyproheptadine is an anti-histamine so caution is needed in cats with blood pressure issues.

With regard to the eating issues, it's always a good idea to make sure that there's no nausea present. Here's a list of symptoms that you might like to bookmark for future reference:

Nausea and Appetite Issues - Symptoms and Treatments

Keeping everything crossed for you both that all goes well tomorrow.

:bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  49. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Mogs,
    thank you

50. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

From the Dr. Elsey's website:

Attached Files:

51. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much. The fat content looks good. She still only get a limited amount.

Bandit's Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  52. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Dolly’s Fructosamine results- 610. From okay numbers on the 15th to this. :nailbiting:

53. jt and trouble (GA)

Just have to say, I melt every time I see this avatar Dolly IS a dolly. :bighug: I just wanna hug her.

Critter Mom likes this.
  54. Critter Mom

(((Adrienne and Dolly)))

Fingers and paws crossed the consult at the vets tomorrow will lead to a course of action to make things better.

Mogs

55. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much. She is so sweet but always challenging :woot:

56. Critter Mom

She's a cat! :rolleyes:

;)

Mogs

57. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Hi Mogs,

No visit tomorrow. 1 unit of Lantus twice a day. I hope I didn’t already tell you that. Not used to the threads, posted more on Facebook. Since the virus my brain is so cloudy. Been isolated for almost 2 years due to husbands health issues. Had to keep him safe prior to virus but this is so much harder. I just need to thank you a “lot” for your advice and for just being there. Diabetes dance is on. Its been 7 months of remission, feels like years. It will all come back. I felt so much more in control of everything pre virus.
    Take good care. :bighug:

58. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Yes she is and she’s my special cat, challenges included ;)

59. Critter Mom

Oh, Adrienne, you've got so much on your plate! Covid really has derailed so much for so many, but I think people in situations such as yours and your husbands have to be the hardest of all. The worry ...

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

I've been housebound with agoraphobia for years, so I can empathise about the isolation.

First time hearing about the Lantus. (Wouldn't matter in the slightest if it had been the second. :) ) Did the vet have any view as to what might have triggered the BG increase?

Mogs

60. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Hi Mogs,

I have been somewhat Agoraphobic myself, I don’t like going anywhere. I am sitting in my car, my husband had a real (not virtual) Doctor’s appt and I can’t go in with him. So sorry to hear your life has become so isolated. Thank goodness for our cats.

I wrote our vet this morning before we had lab results and she just told me not to change her diet. The office called and told me they were filling the Lantus and they wanted bloodwork in a week. They are so busy. I don’t know what’s going on with the pet world, all of the vets are slammed with appointments. No answers on why Dolly went up. Thank goodness I checked her a week early, normally every two weeks. I have always done the testing, my husband the shots. The one time I tried she got a fur shot. I need to learn. The only advantage of the virus, I don’t have to worry about having to be somewhere at shot time. Do you know how much food she needs with Lantus? Her appetite is awful, I ended up giving her Mirtazapine.
    This sinus problem is awful, she will start on Cerenia today. Total nightmare to pill. It breaks my heart when I feel she is suffering.

Sorry, I do get long winded.
    Thank you and take care.
    Adrienne

61. jt and trouble (GA)

I think its the lock downs Now people are living every second WITH their pets. They are noticing things they've been overlooking.

Critter Mom likes this.
  62. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Sounds right. For me though I am always focused on Dolly, I’m retired. So scared, she goes from good numbers at least until 8/15 (7 months in remission) and 7 days later she has a Fructosamine test with 610 results. Something else has to be wrong. Eating just a bite here and there, otherwise a happy cat :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  63. Critter Mom

Agree. Another member said similar to me earlier in the week.

Mogs

64. Critter Mom

Just feed her the same as usual, Adrienne, except you need to remove all food for two hours before each preshot BG test is due (so the reading won't be food-influenced). You need to make sure she has a fairly reasonable amount just before giving the insulin so you know it's safe to administer the dose.

Needs must. She needs both grub and, for the time being, insulin.

The sinus issue is a bit of a biggie when trying to get cats to eat because they can't smell the food properly. Have you tried warming the food a little, Adrienne? It helps to increase the aroma.

Also you might find some helpful ideas in these resources:

Persuading your Cat to Eat

Suggestions for Stimulating Appetite

Two really simple tips that I found good were the raised bowls and the 'sleepy eating' (approach sleeping cat, rouse it, stick food straight in front of it). Playing a game that involves pouncing can help, too.

Medically, a course of B12 injections can also help poor appetite and sometimes gives a cat an overall boost.

Dehydration can affect appetite so encouraging adequate water consumption is beneficial. Adding a little homemade chicken broth or the juice from a can of tuna in spring water to a kitty's drinking water may help increase fluid consumption. I use this stuff:

[​IMG]

I add about 6 tsps of water to a pouch of this stuff (dubbed Noodle's Wonder Soup) and mix it through the sauce. I then add 2 tsps of the watered down sauce to 30ml of water and she guzzles it down in no time. It is also my secret weapon ...

Mogs

65. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Mogs, help!! The one unit marking is the second line on the syringe, yes? I am in a in panic mode and can’t think straight. U-100 syringe.

66. Red & Rover (GA)

Looking for the photo. Be right back.

67. Red & Rover (GA)

If you have half unit syringes, the image on the left (the second line on the right hand side if you are holding the syringe with the needle pointing away from you)
    If you have full unit syringes, the image on the right (the second line)

49823063143_3437e9e997_o.jpg

68. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I am so not me right now. When I picked up her insulin the tech said the Fructosamine test was just not normal, the number too high. My head went immediately to pancreatic cancer or something else. It just set me off into scary thoughts. How did it get so bad. I will calm down but for now I’ve forgotten everything I know about injections, prepping the syringe. I read this forum every day and have learned so much, all forgotten in moments from panic. I already feel better, had to vent. Thank all of you out there.

69. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Tha
    Tha
    Thank you so much. I’ve finally calmed down. The virus, my husbands illnesses and just the shock of Dolly’s numbers suddenly wiped my brain. Seriously, I couldn’t remember anything. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the help
    Adrienne

70. Red & Rover (GA)

Any time. It will all become second nature again quickly. And let's hope it leads to a second remission.

71. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you!!!!

72. Critter Mom

Welcome to my life! ;)

Sorry I didn't see your tag till now, Adrienne. I see you've been well taken care of by Red. Once you get back into the daily rhythm, things'll look and feel a good bit better. :)

Nite nite.

Mogs

73. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Critter Mom likes this.
  74. Maddie Mouse

Maddie Mouse Member

Sorry to hear about Dolly, Adrienne - it sounds like you have a lot on your plate! My husband has COPD, so when lockdown started, I had to do all the shopping, etc because he wasn't supposed to leave the house - but since I don't drive and the supermarket delivery slots were all booked up weeks in advance, he used to come and collect me from the supermarket. All very stressful, so I do sympathise!

Protein is expensive, especially animal protein, so cheap cat food is stuffed with fat, sugar and vegetable protein. Maddie used to eat fancy kibble that cost three times as much as Go-Cat (one of Purina's UK dry foods - I think it's equivalent to their US "cat chow" line?), but the protein source was 100% chicken and it was lower in carbs too. Now she mainly eats Purina ProPlan DM, which is somewhat lower-carb than most other dried food, and I'm trying to get her to eat wet food but she's fussy about texture.

Mind you, even our other cat who will eat almost any wet food dislikes the ProPlan DM pouches, so I'm thinking those boxes will be going to the Blue Cross rescue centre along with the old non-diabetic kibble!

75. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much for all of this information. My husband has COPD as well and valley fever, an airborne lung disease in California and arizona.
    Hope your husband is doing better. Mine is on a nebulizer twice a day, c-pap at night, inhalers. No Oxygen yet thank goodness.
    I think we had a fur shot this morning. Her second shot and it missed. So upset.
    Take care and stay safe
    Adrienne

76. Maddie Mouse

Maddie Mouse Member

Thank you! My husband is fine, apart from a touch of the "quarantine 15" (i.e. weight gain) - he's a runner (started on the advice of his COPD nurse), but between minor injuries and social distancing, he's not been able to run much this year.

Fur shots are so frustrating! I think I've only had one, but Maddie is a wriggler so I've had to learn to be patient with her. Freeze-dried tuna treats help too! :D

77. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

especially frustrating when its just her second insulin shot post remission.
    Thank you :)

78. jt and trouble (GA)

79. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

:(

80. Maddie Mouse

Maddie Mouse Member

You're probably just out of practice - which is a good thing, in its own way!

81. Critter Mom

Some you lose, Adrienne. It'll be grand next time. :)

Mogs

82. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

My poor husband was half asleep. “I” need to get over my fear of failing, giving fur shots. Testing is a breeze but my husband gave all the shots before. My one try, a fur shot. I gave shots to our other kitty but her coat was so different, not so loose

83. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Her AMPS was 239. +3 218. Food has made her numbers go down before. We will get better at this, I will not be afraid to shoot!!!

84. Red & Rover (GA)

Put a dollar in the jar. When you have accumulated enough, treat yourself to a bottle of wine or some decent chocolate.

85. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

I hope there will be no more dollars. I don’t think you can buy even a candy bar with a dollar. We only had one in 3 months last time and it was mine. :(

86. Critter Mom

I don't think I've ever given a single dose of insulin that didn't scare me to some degree. :oops: :D

Mogs

87. Critter Mom

That's good. An indication that the pancreas can still produce bolus pulses of insulin at mealtimes. Probably what kept Dolly's BG levels so even when you did the spot checks the other day. (I remember there was no food spike.)

Mogs

88. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

+6 223. Not too bad right? without insulin
    Thanks Mogs :)
    Adrienne
    PS (my vision is so poor, macular degeneration, I can’t tell what most of these emojis are :joyful:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  89. Critter Mom

I'll take an orange smiley guy from you any time, Adrienne. You're emoji-ing like a boss! :cool:

That +6 is not bad at all, Adrienne. Most likely under the renal threshold.

Some of the insulin dose may have gone in (hence why we never give a second injection after a furshot: you can never be sure).

Mogs

90. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you Mogs, :bighug: I really lost it yesterday. Everything looked foreign to me, especially the syringe. Today is a better day.

91. Critter Mom

(((Adrienne)))

Yesterday you were dealing with the full brunt of the emotional hit, and being upset that Dolly needs some insulin at the moment.

Today you're in full-on mama cat mode. You're looking after your Dolly Girl. She needs you to help her, and that tends to focus the thoughts.

I am really pleased that today is a better day. Fingers and paws crossed for lots more better days to come. :)

Mogs

92. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Thank you so much Mogs. I didn’t think I was taking her remission for granted, always on my mind. Maybe not intellectually but I definitely emotionally felt it would last forever. At least wanted it to. The worst thing last night was starting her on the Cerenia pills. I have read and watched so much on pilling a cat, our kitty that we said goodbye to a year ago March, I gave her 5 pills a day and injections for 18 months, no problem. Dolly, on the other hand, is a fighter and very strong. I spent the rest of the evening apologizing to her. :(
    Have a good day and a ton of thank you’s for your help and caring and knowledge. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.