Otj need advice

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by sherrib, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Hello
    I am new to the honeymoon but not new to this group
    My skittles has been off the juice since 12/5.

I've been testing him every AM & PM and still picking up his food at 5 AM for his 7 AM test.
    How do you all handle the day? Do I still test AMPS and PMPS times? I need to advice on what to do and help keeping him :otj: for the rest of his long life

I am starting tx for his back legs asap! He is playing everyday again, right now it sounds like his brother and him are tearing the house down I'm going to go check on them and go to sleep its 2:27 am already

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on being OTJ! My Jersey went into remission in April 2014. We were very fortunate, and I credit the wonderful people here for her remission.

When Jersey first went OTJ, I tested her quite often. Now, I try to test her every few weeks at the most. I don't worry too much about what time of day I test her. I just do it whenever I get a chance, which most often seems to fall right around the old AMPS/PMPS times.

It seems like a lot of the kitties I've seen here who have fallen out of remission did so because they either had an illness/infection (including dental issues) or because they got back into high-carb food.

Congrats again!
    Shelly

3. sherrib

Pooh about dental issues because skittles needs a cleaning bad,hopefully that's all. His gums at all 4 of his canines are really red and his breath will knock you out! When I first found his dental issues his BG was out of control and his vet said there was no way she would do a dental . Now I'm switching vets and also looking for work. I hope to be able to get him done ASAP. In the past I have been a very unlucky person ( I'm Irish so it's weird ) so hopefully he can be done before it makes or helps him go out of remission . Did you happen to know about his teeth/gums before you mentioned it to me ?
    So do us think I still need to get up every day at 5 AM to pick up his food since I'm probably not going to be testing every day at 7 AM anymore?

4. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sherri,

No, I didn't know about Skittles' teeth before I mentioned it. I've just read about a lot of kitties who have had dental issues. Here was one recent post.

I don't worry about picking up Jersey's food before testing. I just test "whenever."

I hope you find a new vet you like!
    Shelly

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link Vet Interview Topics for a list compiled of board suggestions for things to discuss with candidate vets.
    See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for additional assessments you can make to evaulate your cat; several are the kinds of questions you may be asked at routine vet visits.

Georgie likes this.
  6. Georgie

Georgie Member

Very helpful links BJM.

7. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I test Michael once a month. Usually @ am.
    Here are the OTJ Instructions. Hope this helps. Congratulations!
    Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  8. sherrib

Thank you Paula! I am so sorry, I posted back but on my cell and now I see it didnt post. I do have a question for you.

Paula likes this.
  9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi--I just wanted to share what a vet I consulted with told me-
    She said when she does a dental on a diabetic she does not change anything in the cats routine-she test the bg during the procedure and does not fast them before the dental ad runs a fluid line-
    I know your baby is OTJ but it might be worth trying to find a diabetic friendly vet…
    Happy New Year and congratulations!

10. sherrib

Thank you! I am trying to find a vet that's good with a diabetic cat, very hard here because we only have 3 animal hospitals in my town. There are a few more within a 30 min drive.

11. sherrib

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.