OTJ Ann & Maggie - 16 Days

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Ann & Maggie11 (GA), Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I just found this Forum, thanks to Ronnie & Luna. Maggie had her Party July 25, and I'm so excited she's doing so well! I'm still testing twice a day, but soon hope to get down to one time/day. I was just about to drop off some information on Maggie to her Vet, including her latest SS and also copies of both the Tilly Protocol and the Queensland Protocol. I want him to see her numbers when she started the OTJ Trial. I was one of the few ones using the Alpha Trak Meter, and the Queensland protocol refers to both meters and the difference in bg #s between the two meters. My question is - have any of you told your Vets about the LL Message Board or other insulin boards, and what was the Vet's reaction? I've kept him in the loop with her SS, and he has made recommendations and is very supportive but never asked where I was getting my information. I'm just curious as to some of your Vet's reactions!

P.S. OTJ officially 16 Days!

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Re: OTJ Ann & Maggie - 19 Days

Way to go Maggie!

I think its great that you are showing the vet the numbers for a kitty going off the juice with the alphatrack (speaking in their language :))

I printed out the Tilly Protocol and dropped it off with the first spreadsheet I took to the vet. She copied it, but didn't seem that interested in seeing. But... She had always said they didn't do partial doses of insulin, so when I reported in after a week at .5 and she recommended going to 0.25 I was pleasantly suprised and definitely think she read it. My vet has a great track record with diabetic cats so I think she really does try to keep up with the current information and treatments.

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Hi Melanie,
    Congratulations to you and Smokey, too on going OTJ! Thanks for your feedback on showing Smokey's SS to your Vet and also the Tilly Protocol. That is the same reaction I had with the partial doses from a Vet Tech friend of mine. She said she had never heard of giving half a unit Lantus or less to a kitty. Once she saw how well Maggie was doing, she changed her mind. I just dropped off Maggie's latest SS and also both protocols. Today is the Vet's surgery day, but I spoke with one of the Vet Techs, and he seemed pleased with Maggie's remission so far, but said it's an ongoing thing with the diabetic kitties even when they go into remission. I know there are kitties here that have had long remissions. Take care and thanks again.

4. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Congratulations! So glad Maggie is feeling well.

I gave info about this board to two vets. One never bothered to look. The other let me demonstrate testing in his office and was interested, but seemd kind of defensive. I guess it's very much a vet-by-vet thing.

Maybe you'll ratchet down to one test per day and then, who knows! I'm now testing about once every three weeks. Kitty and I enjoy the break.

5. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Hi Kathy and Kitty,
    That's what I was wondering if they might react defensive. That's great the one Vet let you demonstrate the testing, as it showed he was open to home testing. I think the SS is a great tool to give the Vets, as it shows the sugar kitty's progresss. Eventually I will start testing just once a day and then dwindle down to once a week and then every other week.

No Kidding! Just testing once every three weeks - that is great!

Ann & Maggie

6. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I always hated testing. I have to force myself to do it now. :oops:

I think the spreadsheets are of interest to the vets. And i think our results are getting their attention. THEY are not getting kitties into remission. The numbers don't lie.

I also have noticed that vets definitely have high regard for the Queensland veterinary school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.