One week OTJ - Monkey's vacation is good for him

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Monkey Maine Coon, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey Maine Coon

Monkey Maine Coon Member

:?: Monkey is on day 7 of OTJ - I know that isn't long enough, but it sure looks good! We're still traveling with him in the motor home, and feeding nothing but Halo low carb canned. His BG this evening, before feeding him was 42. That seems a bit scary! But I guess it is where it should be when he is hungry. We fed him 1/2 a can of the Halo Spot's Pate ground chicken, and he ate it all and is acting normal. Since he has also been an IBS kitty, we are very leery of changing from the Halo - but we are finding it hard to locate as we travel. Petco carries it - but they are often out of the ground chicken pate. I know lots of you are feeding Friskies Pate, which we saw at Costco today - but didn't buy it. We seem to be on the right path - and I will check with our vet back home about the low BG's to be sure there isn't anything else we should be doing.

2. ChEMom

ChEMom Member

It's wonderful that Monkey is doing so well. I know the low numbers can seem a bit scary at first, but really, truly, once a cat is OTJ, you do not have to worry about low numbers. They can't go hypoglycemic. Some cats just naturally run with low BG numbers, but there's nothing you need to do about it except relax. :mrgreen:

Enjoy your vacation!

3. Monkey Maine Coon

Monkey Maine Coon Member

Thank you so much Janet. flip_cat It is very reasuring to hear that! It makes sense, and I sort of thought so - but this is all still so new to us that I didn't want to be guilty of just assuming all is well if there was more we should be doing.

Our main concern now is going to be finding a supply of the Halo Spot's Pate in the ground chicken flavor. It seems to be the most popular and is sold out while the other flavors are still on the shelf. We did buy some of the turkey/duck and some of the whitefish - but with his history of IBS I really hope we don't have to change.

4. ChEMom

ChEMom Member

Is it possible to call a store ahead of you, you know, further down the road, and ask them to order you some of the Halo chicken? Just a thought.

5. Monkey Maine Coon

Monkey Maine Coon Member

Hi Janet - that is just what we did! We are on our way now to the next town near where we are parked today to pick up 20 cans. That should do us until we return home, and at that point we will probably just order on-line.

He is on day 9 now of OTJ and even his BM's are completely normal, which they never were when he was on the Hill's Prescription kibble for IBS.

We are beginning to think we can celebrate as officially OTJ in just a few more days - I think we have to wait for day 14. :RAHCAT otj_icon

6. ChEMom

ChEMom Member

Yes, usually you wait the full 14 days, and then we PARTY! :RAHCAT

7. Monkey Maine Coon

Monkey Maine Coon Member

OTJ It's Official - Monkey's vacation is good for him

otj_icon It's official today - day 14! Monkey has never been completely healthy until now, in the 8 months since we adopted him from our local shelter. He had severe irritable bowel syndrome at first, but was not diabetic until after 6 months of being treated with prednisolone. He was also put on Hill's Prescription I/D kibble by his vet for the IBS. After his diabetes diagnosis with BG over 600, he was put on 4 units of Humulin N BID, and his prednisolone was stopped entirely (we had been tapering his dose down for several months).

Thanks to the internet and the excellent advice and support on this forum, on July 24 we switched his diet to nothing but Halo "Spot's Pate" canned ground chicken, and as you can see by his SS, his BG began to plummet. I chose to use the Halo brand because of their web page, which has a report written by a veterinarian, who is also available for consultation by phone. Her advice is about about the benefits of feeding canned pate.

otj_icon So here we are today, exactly one month later - and he is officially OTJ!

As a further benefit of the switch to canned pate, his BM's are now completely normal (no more little soft piles), and he has completely stopped vomiting (he only vomited the dry kibble - never the canned pate).

So now it's his canned food anniversary party! :RAHCAT flip_cat dancing_cat cat_pet_icon

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone on this board! drinking24 party_cat

8. ChEMom

ChEMom Member

Woohoo!! Welcome to the Falls Monkey! :RAHCAT :dizcat :mrgreen:

9. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! How exciting for you guys! Time to partaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!

10. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

congratulations!!

11. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Monkey!!!! So happy for you all!!!

12. Georgette and Clare

Georgette and Clare Member

Came over from the Lantus Tight Regulation Board to say WOO HOO MONKEY!! Congratulations to you and your beans!

13. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATONS MONKEY AND WELCOME TO THE FALLS!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.