Not so new Newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marjorie Fischl, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marjorie Fischl

Marjorie Fischl New Member

Hi my sugar kitty is Fred he's on Lantus 1u am and pm. Diagnosed the end of April this year. I've had help from other groups but I joined this forum first and want to thank everyone for all the information. I have a spredsheet. I started home testing best as I could immediately. I searched for and read everything I could find. I found loads of help and reached out first thing. Switched to all low carb pate can food for all my babies so none would feel left out. I just want anyone who is new to know it does get better.
    1 low carb diet, 2 hometest, 3 insulin.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...2yeHRyldIROoHzx7r8h1pbbCfoE/edit?usp=drivesdk

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB! We are glad you posted! Fred sure is a beautiful kitty! I just looked at your spread sheet wow Fred has been on a wild ride! Nice to see things have settled down some.
    I cannot give dosing advice but I'm sure others here will. I know you havent asked for any so I will let our insulin helpers maybe give you some hints and tips. I hope that ok.
    WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY!
    jeanne

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you Marjorie!!:bighug:

Fred looks like Fred the King. Is he?? :bighug::bighug:

Thank you for setting up your spreadsheet and doing your homework. Can you also add a bit more to your signature too? This is what helps us:

Make sure your signature is up-to-date.
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Thank you!

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning @Marjorie Fischl
    I'm bumping you up the list.
    It looks like Fred could use an increase but I'll leave it to more experienced members to ponder.
    If you could get a test or two during the PM cycle, that will tell us more. Test before you go to bed and test if you get up during the night to use the bathroom.

6. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

What a handsome chap Fred is.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Your post doesn't specifically ask for any dosing advice but I'm going to give some anyway.

You need to increase the dose to 1.25....the 1U dose isn't doing enough for Fred. Also, if you hold a dose that's not getting them where they should be too long, it allows glucose toxicity to set in (where their body gets used to higher numbers even though they're getting insulin)

It's also very important to always get at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle...every cycle. Most cats go lower at night so it's really good to know what's going on. You don't need to stay up all night testing....just getting a +2 or +3 would be helpful. (and if those tests were lower than the PMPS, you might want to set an alarm to check again later in the cycle)

9. Marjorie Fischl

Thank you so much!

10. Marjorie Fischl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.