Newly Diagonised Cat-Constipated, Not testing BG before shot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bebo's Best Friend, Aug 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bebo's Best Friend

Bebo's Best Friend New Member

My cat’s name is Bebo. He is an 11 year old male domestic short hair.

(I apologize beforehand that the post is all over the place, I am unsure on everything)

Bebo was urinating and drinking 7 times a day and only pooping once every 3 days for a month until I took him to the vet and got blood+urine test done. The fructosamine test later showed his blood glucose level at 600+. Vet started us last Friday on Lantus 1 unit every 12 hours and Purina Vet Diet DM (My cat had Whiskas High Protein adult dry food with Temptations treats before) booked a recheck for a week later (next Monday.)

My cat is not very into his new food and would barely eat half the can throughout a 12 hours period. I add 3 pieces of his old Temptations biscuits (will change to PureBites) each time before I inject insulin to help boost his appetite. I worry too that he might not be eating enough.

He perked up for the first 2 days he got the insulin, but the days after he just went back to sleep (but still responsive)

I learned here that injecting insulin blindly without a BG reading could harm him so I became worried. I asked the vet about Alphatrak 2 glucometer today and she replied in the email that she plans to put on Freestyle Libre sensor during the recheck next week, I don’t know if that would be too late.

The sensor is also one thing where I am unsure about. Should I go with the sensor or go with the glucometer. I want to know if the sensor is uncomfortable for the kitty or is it just fine....? It would definitely save me and my kitty the stress of drawing blood multiple times a day.

My kitty is also still severely constipated. On the initial check the vet gave him an enema and an oral laxative (2ml of lactulose syrup PMS) to take home to use for 3 days. He pooped once every 2 days with the laxative but I stopped giving it to him after 3 days. He hasn’t pooped for 4 days now.

The thing is my cat doesn’t drink water anymore since receiving insulin and only pees twice a day. I add 2 teaspoons of warm water in his wet food. I don’t know, should I just give him laxatives regularly now?

Thank you so much for any help. I am so lost and alone on this.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Serena! Glad to see you already posting here from the Facebook group!

There's no reason you need to feed the "prescription" food. Not only is it expensive, there's absolutely nothing in it that treats diabetes! They even had to change the name...It started out as "Diabetic Management" but since it doesn't have anything in it that treats diabetes, they had to change it to "DiaTetic Management".

Most of us feed our diabetic cats Fancy Feast Classics, Friskies pates or 9-Lives ground which are all less than 10% carbs, easy to find and a lot more affordable. It also gives them some variety in flavors.

There are quite a few posts here from people who've used the Libre and mostly the reviews are negative. It only lasts a maximum of 14 days (and a LOT of cats manage to get it off before then....one cat had theirs off within an hour of getting it) and if yours does, you have to buy a new one and start over. We've also heard a lot of complaints that it stopped working before the 14 days too.

Even when you use the Libre, you're supposed to occasionally get a blood glucose test with a meter (as well as any time the Libre indicates a number that's too low or too high) so I'd probably just start with the blood glucose meter.

In the US, a favorite meter here is the Relion Prime from Walmart. It's only $9 and the strips are only $17.88/100. You don't need a special "pet" meter (the strips for them are about $1 each)

Have you ever tried Miralax? It's a tasteless powder that you could add to food or mix with water and syringe. A lot of cats here use it. The usual starting dose is 1/8 teaspoon twice a day. It helps keep the stool softer so it's easier to pass.

Not anymore you're not!! You've joined the best place you never wanted to be!! Lots of great people here with lots of advice that's been learned through years of real life experience!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Bebo. :)

Lots of helpful info at felineconstipation.org.

Mogs

4. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I started out with the Alphatrak but most vets don't realize is the testing strips are about $2.00 each which adds up VERY QUICKLY! When I spoke with a Sr. vet, she said that before the animal glucometers came out, they used human meters for the past 30 years and got along just fine. I quickly switched to a human meter (Freestyle Lite). I would not wait to get the Libre on. Kitties can go dangerously low at anytime.

I also tried the Libre and found that it was not very accurate with high numbers. The only real benefit that I got was to see a trend if Freckles was going up or down. I did not trust it for an accurate read. It stayed on Freckles for the 2 weeks and was starting to loosen and bug her at the end (she started scratching at it). My vet placed it between her shoulder blades, just off to the side of her spine.

If you can associate getting a reward when you get a blood droplet , Bebo will likely be more accommodating. I crumble up a freeze dried chicken treat when I test Freckles and she is focused on the treat and not what I'm doing. She's at the point now that she will jump up on the counter to get tested.

If you scoop up the blood droplet on your thumbnail, then Bebo doesn't have to hold still while the meter does it's thing.

Have you received any guidance on setting up a spreadsheet yet? You'll need one to record your numbers on and if/when you ask for dosing help, it will be extremely beneficial for the experienced folk on here to see what Bebo's numbers have been.

5. Bebo's Best Friend

Thank you so much for this long reply! I will definitely get him some Fancy Feast Classic to switch up the flavor. And it sounds like I need to visit the pharmacy to get Miralax and a human meter for now.

A quick browse and I can see everyone here is so welcoming and supportive. Thank you all!!

6. Bebo's Best Friend

Thank you so much for sharing the firsthand experience of Freckles!
    I think I will start with a meter for now. I have not done the research on doing a spreadsheet yet.... I will read up on it tomorrow morning. The Freestyle Lite sounds much more affordable. I’m kind of worried though if I don’t buy the glucometer from the vet will the vet still give me assistance on how to regulate Bebo?:(

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Whether or not to use a Libre is a choice, not a requirement for successful treatment. If the vet's a professional (and I assume they are!) then of course they will help you with Bebo's regulation, regardless of your decision about how you wish to monitor his blood glucose levels. Bebo is yours, remember, as are the $$$ in your wallet. The relationship with your vet needs to be one of partnership, not dictatorship. ;) :D

Mogs

8. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Having to buy a specific product from a vet in order to receive their help seems almost unethical to me. When I told my vet each Alphatrak was $2.00, his mouth dropped. He simply was not aware. Unfortunately, most vets are not well versed on treating diabetic kitties - maybe your vet is different and that would be great. The advice that you get from the experienced people on this forum is evidenced based and people should be able to back up what they say. We live and breathe diabetes 24-7 and some folks have stayed on here to help others even though their diabetic kitty has long passed. That shows the passion that these people have to help others. There is usually someone on this forum who can help you if you run into problems (even if it's the middle of the night) - whereas it's not feasible to think the caregiver has 24-7 access to their veterinarian's advice. Members on this forum aren't trying to replace vets, because we definitely need them, but just like in humans, you can't expect a doctor to be an expert in every malady.

My vet is diabetic himself, yet told me I only needed to test Freckles once a month. Thank goodness I found this forum very early on in our diabetic journal. You will not hurt your cat by testing frequently, in fact a stronger bond is often created between the caregiver and the cat. It boggles my mind why some vets say you don't have to test before you give insulin. Would you not test a young or non-verbal child before administering insulin?

Ask a zillion questions, read the stickies and then reread them again - we've all been at the diabetic starting line before so we know that things can be overwhelming at first, but you will gain more confidence as you continue on this journey. Welcome to the dance! :)

9. Bebo's Best Friend

Thanks for the wakeup calls! I was a bit intimidated by the vet since FD is something I had no knowledge of before. I hope to begin home testing tomorrow evening, fingers crossed he won’t hide from me after. :cat:

10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Serena!
    You've already received GREAT advice I just want to say hello and that you are not alone. Theres a wealth of information here but the best thing is, theres a BUNCH of people, ready, willing AND ABLE to help you navigate this disease.
    You and Bobo have found a safe place to land. Keep asking questions. The only stupid question is the one NOT asked.;)

YOU GOTZ THIS!
    again welcome to the best site on this planet to learn everything you need to know about feline diabetes!
    jeanne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.