Newly diagnosed rescue cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra Pratt, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

Hi, Bitsy is a female cat about 6 years old. She is a rescue. We got her 3 days ago and she is skin and bones. Yesterday we took her to her first ever vet visit where they ran what was called a geriatric panel and gave subcutaneous fluids. Today we got the news that Bitsy is diabetic and needed to start on insulin ASAP if she were going to have a chance of survival. They scheduled us to come in and be taught how to give insulin injections and to administer more subcutaneous fluids. She now takes Prozinc every 12 hours with food. My mind is spinning with all this new information. Any helpful tips and support welcome! 9769C09D-3D6D-443F-9C18-59359E6EFFBA.jpeg

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Debra and Bitsy!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

and good for your for rescuing!!! Prozync is a great insulin for cats and every 12 hours is ideal. I hope they’ll start her off on a low dose. We recommend 1 unit every 12 hours to start off. Injections are a breeze, trust me you’ll get the hang of it in a NY minute! Here’s a diagram of the areas in her body to give the injection. Some folks alternate sites. I just find the scruff works better for both of us so I stick to that but rotating spots at least is best
    AF6745F4-C1B7-48F9-B21A-B16CF6F7FCF3.jpeg

I’d suggest you take a look at the prozync forum and read the yellow sticky notes for guidance on how the insulin works, dosage, etc

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

it looks like you’re feeding wet food which is great. Diabetic cats should have low carb food, ideally less than 10% carbs. Does she have any other illnesses? What’s the cause of the dehydration?

Debra Pratt likes this.
  3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Is she underweight as well? The other thing we strongly suggest is home testing. But take it a step at a time. It’s also not complicated and we have lots of great tips to make it easier on you and Bitsy. Most of us use human meters which are affordable and reliable.

Debra Pratt likes this.
  4. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

She got dehydrated as her previous owner did not give her access to water at all times. And yes vet did start her on 1 unit every 13 hours to start with an all day vet visit on this coming Wednesday. Right now yes she is very much underweight so it has been recommended to feed her often

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome and thank you for taking her in as a foster.

Unregulated diabetic cats drink a lot of water. The water helps flush the glucose out of their system.

Are you home testing?

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

she hasn’t even learned to inject insulin :p
    yea that’s a good recommendation. Sounds like your vet is one of the few that knows a bit more about feline diabetes. So a god rule of thumb is 20 times ideal weight. You can ask the vet what her ideal weight shouldn’t be and that gives you her daily calorie intake. Minnie is 16 so times 20 she should be eating about 320 calories a day. I’d feed a bit more even since she needs to gain. Also, unregulated diabetic cats can’t process the nutrients in food well so even though they eat they’re constantly ravenous and lose weight. They also burn calories just by peeing because there’s sugar in their urine.

the all day vet visit is likely for a curve right? One of the benefits of home testing is that you can then do the curves at home yourself. It’s also less stressful for the cat and the bg numbers at home are true and not influenced by stress. What kind of food are you feeding her? Most of us feed our cats fancy feast pate which is perfectly fine and less than 10% carbs

Debra Pratt and Red & Rover (GA) like this.
  7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Also cats do better on small meals throughout the day anyway since they’re grazers and it’s easier on their pancreas

Debra Pratt likes this.
  8. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

yes I do believe it is for the curve. Sorry my head is spinning. Never imagined I’d be caring for a cat with diabetes. But she deserves the best life possible so I am down for the challenge.

9. FarmKitty

FarmKitty Member

Hi Debra! I am also a new member (less than two months). Just wanted to let you know that you have found the right place for support! My cat, Dixie, is also on Prozinc. So far, I really like this insulin as a beginner because it seems like there is less stress in dosing it.

The hardest part I have found is finding good routines for everything. Initially, Dixie would go under the bed when she knew her shot was coming. This was super stressful and I felt like I would never get the hang of it! But I kept trying new things and have settled on feeding her a meal, getting the insulin shot ready, and then feeding her a small extra meal and giving her the shot while she eats that one. After doing it this way for a few weeks, she will now literally lay down waiting to accept the insulin shot!

A lot of the setup (researching glucometers, buying materials, learning injections, learning testing) seems super daunting, but I bet you will get the hang of it.

I obviously can't say anything about your specific situation, but I have found that having a diabetic cat really isn't that bad. When you get into the routine then it just ends up being a couple of insulin shots a day, glucose testing on the cat ears, and maybe testing the cat urine. Right now, I am struggling to get the glucose testing thing down, but I can already see the progress and I know that it will soon just become part of the routine :D.

Another thing that you will need to do is start to read all the stickies on the Prozinc forum. This is super intimidating at first but don't be worried! I think I have read it through at least 15 times now and I still learn new things each time I read it. It will become second nature to you in no time!

I hope Bitsy shows improvement soon! Good luck and see you in the Prozinc forums :cat:

10. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

So I tested her this morning about 2 hours after giving her her insulin as her bg was hi this morning. And it still reads hi. No numbers just hi. And this glucometer reads up to 500 something. Called vet and they said to just watch her and that it will take time to get in her system enough to start bringing her levels down. I am so scared. I may have only had her for a short time but my heart is already invested. I feel so bad she is so thin and sick. But vet says she will make it if we follow the treatment.

11. FarmKitty

FarmKitty Member

That's great that you are already able to home test her! Have you created a spreadsheet yet? Here are the instructions for setting up a spreadsheet. Then you will be able to track her BG levels and easily share them with members on the forum. I found that focusing on the spreadsheet and tracking aspect of things has calmed my nerves... a little :D

Debra Pratt and Critter Mom like this.
  12. Bebo's Best Friend

Bebo's Best Friend New Member

I am quite new and not fit for advising but I know how scary it feels at first so wanted to tell you don’t stress too much, I’m sure the diet change you are giving Bitsy is already helping her blood glucose numbers improve!

And wow didn’t expect you to already start home testing! That’s amazing!

Most meters read Hi at above 600. You could try testing again at 6 hours after the shot (nadir for prozinc) which will usually be the lowest number, for a possible number reading. (If it’s any reassurance my cat at diagnosis had numbers above 600 but has since gone down to around 200.)

Diabetes can be treated. Most cats CAN enter remission after careful insulin therapy and sticking to low-carb wet diet!

For now just do what you are doing while soaking up on feline diabetes info until the vet gives you the number of her curve and further dosing instructions. You are doing great!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Debra, and a hearty welcome to you and Bitsy. :)

The early days of diabetes treatment can be a bit of a white knuckle ride and everyone here has at some time felt just as overwhelmed as you do right now. But it does get easier - and better. While it can be really scary at times caring for a sugar cat - especially in the early days - there is also much joy to be had as you watch your little one take step after step along the path to wellness.

I'm sorry to hear that Bitsy has had such a rough time in the past, but I'm really glad that the universe saw fit to send you to love and care for her. She is a lucky girl! Blessings to you both. :)

Mogs

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Wow so you are home testing @Red & Rover (GA) i stand corrected ha!

they already explained high to you. It’s all normal. You just started treating her with insulin so don’t be scared or discouraged. It takes a few months to get a cat regulated and in good numbers. We say here that feline diabetes is a marathon not a sprint. You’re doing all the right things so you’re on the right path! Just remember to breathe and she’s lucky to have you! Diabetes is manageable and cats live long healthy lives with it. Of all the diseases to have, it’s actually not too bad. So how is testing going? Is she responding well? We always suggest to give a treat after each test so they make a positive association with it. We have lots of more tips if you need it, like warming up the ear which to me is key every time. Here’s the area you should be aiming for, forgive me if you already know all of this!
    F1DC521E-14D3-408A-BDC6-74ACFB2C3C38.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  15. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

The other thing you can do to help us is set up your signature. This way members can easily see at a glance all the important info about Bitsy. Instructions are on this link, but I’m pasting it below as well

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

Make sure your signature is up-to-date.
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Thank you!

16. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Also I know his overwhelming it feels and we do throw a lot of info at you, but it’s all important info so make sure to take a moment to read everyone’s replies. Did you read what I wrote about daily calorie intake and how diabetic cats can’t process nutrients well? It’s important. What food are you feeding her?

An easy way to let members know you read their post is to hit the “like” button :cat:

17. Maddie Mouse

Maddie Mouse Member

Aww (((Debra))). I know how you feel - it was heartbreaking watching the cat I've had since she was a wee kitten wasting away and becoming withdrawn and anxious. But within a week or two of insulin injections she was putting weight back on and starting to behave normally - I admit I cried when she first gave me a head-butt again :joyful:

I'm sure Bitsy will pull through, especially as you've already jumped into home testing (I only just got my meters, so I'm starting this weekend). Lots of good food, water and the twice-daily jabs, and before you know it she'll be a new cat!

18. Debra Pratt

Debra Pratt Member

At tgis
    At this time she is eating a combo of wet Royal Canin kitten wet food and Purina ProPlan Kitten dry food with probiotics.

19. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Okay just figure out the daily calorie intake then to make sure she’s getting enough and I’d really go over by maybe 20% or so to make sure she gains back. Eventually once she does put weight back, the best thing for diabetic cats it to transition away from dry food which is very high in carbs. They should eat food that has 10% or less carbs. Take a look at this food chart to see how Royal Canin stacks up for future reference

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.