Newly Diagnosed Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary Hendricks, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Hendricks

Mary Hendricks New Member

Hello Everyone, my cat, Willow, was diagnosed with diabetes back in mid June and has since been on insulin, twice daily, and RX food. She was recently moved to 3 units twice a day and her symptoms and glucose are improving, however, her fructosamine test results are still showing in the “poor” range. I’m very diligent with her insulin shots and she is on much less food than before her diagnosis. I’m just curious how long it took some of y’all to get your cats regulated. My vet now wants to move to 3.5 units, twice daily, and I really don’t want her to become hypoglycemic. Suggestions or thoughts? Thank you, all! I’m new to this stuff and could use some support.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

What kind of insulin are you using? What kind of Rx food (brand, wet vs. dry)?

Most of us here home-test blood glucose rather than relying on fructosamine tests. Not only does that help keep your kitty safe from hypoglycemia :nailbiting:, we find that having that more immediate "read" on progress greatly facilitates regulation and sometimes even remission. Would you be willing to learn to home-test?

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB We are happy to see you here.
    Theres a ton of information here with good people to help you digest it all. Regulation is different with every cat. So theres no one set answer.
    I think it will serve you to start here:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

For starters you can answer Nans questions .:p that will help us help you.
    We are a dedicated group of kitty cat lovers all tied by the same thing feline diabetes. Welcome to our family:bighug:
    jeanne

4. Mary Hendricks

Thank you for your reply! She is on ProZinc Insulin and is on a mix of wet and dry Royal Canin Glycobalance. I purchased a ReliOn home glucose test, however, she completely freaked out and hid under the couch when I did the ear poke I felt terrible because it scared her so much.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Mary Hendricks

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. jt and trouble (GA)

Just know you and Willow have found a safe place and are in GOOD hands. ;):coffee:

Critter Mom and Mary Hendricks like this.
  7. Nan & Amber (GA)

Aw, poor girl!

You may have to work a bit to get the testing up and running after that first adventure. Rest assured, most cats end up tolerating the testing very well, and with sufficient bribery (treats!), they actually will come to you to "request" testing. But it can take some time to get to that point. I'd start over with lots of treats, and just go bit by bit-- bring her to the testing place, give a treat, let her go. Bring her to the testing place, play with her ears a bit, give a treat, let her go (and so on).

It can also help to do things like sing while doing the testing (believe it or not!). Singing calms you both down-- cats are very good at picking up on your stress. Even if the poke doesn't bother her, she may figure it's best to get away before things get really hairy, lol.

You also want to make sure that you aren't poking the vein itself, as that can be a little painful. Aim for the "sweet spot" along the edge:

[​IMG]

Prozinc is a good insulin for cats. I am a bit concerned about the dose-- how much does Willow weigh? What was the starting dose, and how did you get to 3.0U?

8. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

There are a lot of great tips for testing here:
    Going up to 3 units in just over two months is dangerous.
    It could be that Willow is a high dose cat or it could be that the large increases have taken her right past the best dose. Sometimes too much insulin can look like too little.
    It is usually recommended that any increase be no more than 0.25 units.
    It is important to get some mid-cycle tests in. It is the lowest number (the nadir) which the dosing should be based on.

Is Willow eating less? less hungry? or are you feeding her less?
    And what times is Willow being fed?

9. Mary Hendricks

Okay. Yeah, she started at 1 and her numbers went down quite a bit but then they raised her to 2 because it still wasn’t where they wanted her levels to be. Her last test was Saturday and she was at 298 down from 390, 2 weeks prior. So an improvement for sure. She is fed twice a day at 6:30am and 6:30pm. No snacks and no treats. She is eating less than before the diagnosis because the vet put her on a specific amount daily. She seems to be hungry prior to feedings though.

10. jt and trouble (GA)

Ahhhhh the old "catch and release" :p

11. Mary Hendricks

Thank you so much for the testing info! Unfortunately, I was told no treats by the vet because she is overweight. She’s around 13 pounds and should be 10 or so. She started at 1 unit, then up to 2 after a month. She then went back 3 weeks later and we bumped her to 2.5. Then gradually have gone up to 3 but the 3.5 she wants me to do now scares me

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  12. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Unregulated diabetic cats cannot process their food properly and are hungry.
    Your vet is wrong. Twice daily feedings is old school and no longer advised.
    Feed a decent sized meal at shot time (to make sure Willow will eat). Then feed a few snacks, especially during the first half of the cycle. Willow will be much happier, eat more, and be safer. Pick up any food 2 hours before the next shot so that the test number at shot time is not food influenced.

13. jt and trouble (GA)

Agree with Kel. Losing weight is secondary.

14. Nan & Amber (GA)

I agree. This is not the time to withhold food, when trying to get an unregulated diabetic under control. And treats are really critical, too. You can get low-carb treats that are just freeze dried meats like chicken breast-- they aren't all junk food or high calorie.

15. Mary Hendricks

Unfortunately, I can’t leave her food out as I have another cat in my household that is on a different RX food for bladder crystals. I spent a bunch of money on a bowl for him so that he can eat when he needs to as it only opens for his microchip. I could give her snacks and pick up right after. She normally doesn’t leave food lol.

16. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Red and Nan. Diabetic cats also burn calories just by peeing since there’s sugar in their urine. Eating twice a day only works for dogs, but not cats who are grazers. It’s also easier on their already compromised pancreas to have smaller meals throughout the day. Eventually, once you are up and running with testing the goal is to transition away from high carb foods like dry. You want to stick with foods that are 10% or less carbs. Here’s a great food chart for future reference as per food doesn’t list carb content on the cans. Don’t do that yet though because it can really drop her BG levels.

As far as building positive association with testing I just want to add that maybe getting Willow used to you handling her ears can also help. I’d try massaging them a few times a day to get her used to you holding them. Low carb treats to try are PureBites, VitalEssentials, baked chicken, tuna and even some cheese

17. Mary Hendricks

Thank you for the info!!!!

18. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I also second singing. It does wonders for me and Minnie. It helps me stay calm under pressure ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.