Newbie with lots of questions...

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by antheakay, Oct 3, 2018.

1. antheakay

antheakay New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure whether or not I'm posting to the right forum or not so please forgive me. My little guy, Mako (12 yo male siamese), was recently diagnosed with diabetes on Saturday and am feeling very overwhelmed. Diagnosis was largely through blood glucose which at the time was sitting at 30mmol/L. At the same time he was also diagnosed with very low B12 and relatively high Folate which are vet concluded was likely due to IBD. He tested negative for Pancreatitis.

Mako was kept in over night to generate a BG curve and it was decided that we would start him on Lantus (at .5) once daily, since his nightly reading on Saturday was very low (he received insulin Saturday mid day right after diagnosis). He got one more dose of Lantus the following morning (Sunday 10 am) as well as a shot of b12. I brought him home and began taking BG readings every other hour. His feeding schedule was switched from free-fed Royal Canin Urinary SO dry to Purina DM wet twice daily (half a can per feed - mako is 3.6 lb down from 4.4 lb normally). At about 1pm the following day Mako became Hypoglycemic (3mmol/L) the reading stabilized after giving him some of his previous kibble we had on hand but it was decided by our Vets that he was way too sensitive to the insulin and that we should keep monitoring BG before deciding whether to give more. We have not given him a dose of insulin since Sunday morning (it is now Wednesday) and BG readings are all below 6mmol/L. We have kept on our regular feeding schedule as best we can but he doesn't seem as ravenous as he did a few days ago (i.e. doesn't finish it all at once or beg for his meal) so it was okay'd by my vet to leave it out for him to graze on until he finish it. This morning however he seemed way less interested in his morning Purina DM - he took a few bites then went back to bed. BG reading before feeding was 6.7 mmol/L. I guess my question is does this all seem normal? I'm feeling very confused about how this is progressing and not sure if I should be worried. Thank you so much for your help!

Anthea

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Anthea.

To get some experienced eyes on your post, it would be best if you posted Mako's story in the Health Forum Feline Health - (The Main Forum) or in the Lantus Forum.

3. antheakay

antheakay New Member

Thanks so much for the tip! Will do that now!