NEWBIE - TERRI & EDISON

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tdokc, Aug 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdokc

tdokc New Member

tdokc
    Hello! First I'd like to say thank you to everyone who volunteers in helping others with this matter of Feline Diabetes. As all the newbies know this can can such an overwhelming health issue for us to deal with. As Edison's mom I've struggled with this for the past two months and it hurts to see how it has changed our loving cat into one that runs away from me. I appreciate all the support that I've read and learned here and a special shout out to Sarah&Soph for helping me during a rough couple of nights. Thank you everyone!

I'm Terri a mother to Edison, 10 year old male gray tabby. He was a rescue cat and he has the best disposition everyday. Loves his brother and sisters (other cats and dogs) and is so friendly and loving. I knew something was wrong this past June when he was throwing up and peeing outside the litter box (still working on that one). He had lost about 5 lbs and is currently about 13.5. The vet wants to keep him there so we went on the Science Diet weight management dry food. A few weeks ago I was at my wits end because his numbers were very high and we just had a peeing incident on the dog's bed. I got on Facebook and found the FD group site. I reached out for help and started learning right away all the things I was doing wrong, needed to learn and how I can make his life better - even possible to reach remission (which I had never heard of before).

I'm tired, scared to death that something I will do or don't do will cause us to lose him. I try to chill out but it's hard. I pray morning, noon and night that we will get through this and all will be well. I've decided to do the best I can and take one day at a time. I'm still learning this website/Message Board and all the information that it has to offer. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and sending you happy positive vibrations for a good life with your sugar baby.

Terri & Edison

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Teri :D
    We all have been in that scary place. You have landed in a safe place where theres a lot of people who want to help. The first glaring thing I saw in your post is your vet prescribing DRY kibble. All kibble is PACKED with carbs, the very thing that feeds diabetes. :rolleyes:
    Now THIS is important: The removal of dry food can drop a cats bg numbers to dangerous levels. You want to remove the dry slowly. A little less every day and by all means MONITOR. When I removed the dry form Troubles diet his numbers dropped 100 points over night!
    I understand WHY your vet prescribed it but this isnt the way to get Edison to lose weight. First we want to get his numbers in better levels THEN you can work on the weight loss.
    You may want to start here:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

Also we would like you to set up your signature AND spread sheet you can find that info here:
    Suggestions, Tech Support & Testing Area

If you have trouble with any of these things there are people that can help.

Now sit back and BREATHE Its going to be ok.;):coffee:
    jeanne

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Terri and Edison!!!

He’s sure a cutie! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

I assume one of the things you’ve learned is that dry food is not good for sugar kitties. Are you home testing yet? Is that why he runs away from you?

can I ask you to add more info to your signature?

Make sure your signature is up-to-date.
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Thank you!

it will help us to know what insulin he’s on, dosage, etc. at a glance every time you post

Do you have any questions for us?

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Btw, if he needs to gain weight back are you watching his daily calorie intake? A good rule of thumb is 20 times ideal weight. If he should be 15, he should be getting at least 300 calories a day, maybe a bit more to help him gain. Diabetic cats can’t process the nutrients in the food they eat that’s what they’re always hungry and lose weight despite eating. They also burn through calories just by peeing since there’s sugar in their urine

5. jt and trouble (GA)

Edison is a "big" boy Vet put him on a diet of Science Dry. I'm hoping the lost weight is going to level out his weight issues.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

My bad when I read he lost 5 pounds I thought he needed to gain back. That’s a lot for a cat :nailbiting:

7. jt and trouble (GA)

Yes it is no matter how heavy he was.

8. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Hi Terri! I'm sorry about Nelson's FD diagnosis but so glad that you are here. Yes, it is so very overwhelming. This will get better, just take it one step at a time :bighug::bighug::bighug:. There is so much to learn, as you know. You are doing everything you can to help Nelson and what comes through in your post is how much you love him. You are an awesome mom!

I read your post a couple of times, so sorry if you mentioned it and I missed it, but I'm curious as to which type of insulin you are giving Edison right now?

When/Why does he run away from you?

Sending you and Nelson so much light and positive healing vibes right now. You are both in my thoughts.

ETA: Whoops! I see Aleluia asked about what type of insulin! Sorry. I've gotta learn to read ALL of the words.

9. tdokc

tdokc New Member

UGH! I know I saved the spreadsheet the other day and now I can't find it. Does it save it to this website or just to my computer?

Terri & Edison

10. jt and trouble (GA)

11. tdokc

tdokc New Member

I found it in Google Documents which I never use. Now to figure out how to link it here.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It lives in your Google Drive not your computer or this site

13. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You need to copy the link and paste it into your Signature.

14. jt and trouble (GA)

wow never thought of that thanks Chris. oops you werent talking to me. :oops::po_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.