New to novolin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Judyneed, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Judyneed

Judyneed New Member

Hello, my cat was diagnosed about 2 months ago. He is on Novolin n and gets 3.5 u twice daily. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be helping him. He is not getting better. Has anyone had similar results with Novolin? Has anyone had good results with Novolin? Thank you.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If you do some reading and looking around here on FDMB you'll see that we recommend at home testing of blood glucose and keeping a log in spreadsheet form of all that data. Over time the data shows patterns that allow us to assess a dose and adjust if needed. We can't really give good advice without seeing those BG numbers. I will say, though, that 3.5 units is a high dose for a recently diagnosed kitty.

Please do ask any and all questions you have. We're here to help. This is a small forum so if you need answers more quickly post on the Main Health Forum to get more attention.

3. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

My cat is recently diagnosed (about 12 days ago). He is on Novalin N also 2 x daily. Not seeing any improvement yet myself. I can't afford the preferred Lantis, so opted for the Novalin. Frustrating, not to see them better .

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Judy, I'm not sure if anyone has recommended that you create a signature and get a spreadsheet started so that members can see your cat's pertinent info and be able to view the data you have on insulin shots and BG tests you have been able to get. I copied this from a post by Kris & Teasel just now and here it is:

1. Set up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    • click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    • click on "signature" in the men that drops down
    • type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using /glucose meter you're using/what he eats/any other meds or health issues he has.
    (I know you were looking for recommendations for a home testing meter, but not sure you are testing yet. But set up the spreadsheet now and when you do test, it's ready for input.)

2. Another thing that will help us help you now that you've started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. We can all see it and look at it before offering advice: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/