Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Kyle & Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, I am new and just learning my way around this forum. My cat Simon developed diabetes after taking prednisolone for his IBD. He just turned 18. The vet discontinued the steroid and put him on chlorambucil and we waited a month to see if his diabetes would resolve. It didn't, and we started Lantus on Thursday, 8/6/20. The vet told me to not even bother testing his BG for 2 weeks since it takes at least that long for Lantus to work. I decided to go ahead and test anyway but honestly it has taken me the last 5 days to figure out how to do it. My first successful test (after 3 stressful days of trying) on 8/8 (+6) was 451- similar to his bloodwork at the vets (485). Today I did a +8, and his BG was 130! Yikes! Luckily I think I have finally figured out how to test and will start pre-shot testing and try to do a curve this weekend. I am just surprised this is all happening so fast and I don't have any data yet from which to make dosing decisions. Although I am hopeful he will go into remission quickly, I feel very unprepared! Sorry for the long message and thanks for being such a great resource for all us newbies!

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB! Wow you are WAY ahead of this game! Your very best friend will be that lancet and meter!
    I have to start dinner so hold on for more welcomes and advice.
    We are so glad you found us! we are dedicate to helping one and all who come here seeking advice and help.
    jeanne

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  3. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Thank you! I feel very out of my league!

4. Kyle & Simon (GA)

I do have a question- is there a sticky or links somewhere explaining the recommended timing of feeding/testing/shooting? Am I supposed to test on an empty stomach, and then feed him, and then give him insulin approx 30 minutes after that? He is not really eating much right now, so it may be difficult for me to get him on a tight schedule like this. Thanks in advance!

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Kyle!!

Not going to repeat what I already told you on Facebook but glad to see you over here!!!

Since you've got your Signature done and your spreadsheet going, I'd like to invite you over to the Lantus, Basaglar and Levemir forum. Everybody there uses the depot insulin's so you'll get the most experienced advice there.

6. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Thank you Chris! I will definitely start posting there. Do people post their numbers every day, or just when they have a question or need help? Thanks again!

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

8. Chris & China (GA)

The best way to learn is to post every day so you get as much feedback as possible. Learning how to use a depot insulin isn't easy. I posted daily for probably 5-6 months before I really felt comfortable making my own dosing decisions (and I still posted daily for over 5 years because by then, I was "part of the family" and wanted to continue learning as well as hearing what the people who had lots more experience than I did had to say)

It's not required to post daily or anything, but the better people know you and your cat, the better the advice they can give you.

Here's some information on posting in the Lantus forum and how it's done. You will also learn a LOT by looking at other people's threads. Somebody else might ask a question you didn't even think of to ask as well as you'll learn from explanations and advice given to others as much as you will from your own posts.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Chris & China (GA)

@Kyle & Simon ....you do need to change the permission on your spreadsheet so we can see it.

Go to the top right and click on "Share"....a new box will come up. In the bottom part you'll see this. Change it to "anyone on the internet with the link can view"
    upload_2020-8-11_0-8-7.png

10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes there are a host of stickys above the Lantus forum. I would link you but there are a couple and I dont know which protocol you are following.

11. Kyle & Simon (GA)

12. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Cool! It should be fixed now! Thanks for your help!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  13. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Thanks JT. I think I figured it out! Still working on a dosing method, will post to signature when that is determined. Thanks again! :)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.