New Member, Squishy's Mom

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jessica G, Sep 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica G

Jessica G New Member

Hi all!

My cat Squishy was just diagnosed with diabetes a few days ago. After much discussion between myself, my husband, and the vet staff we will be treating with insulin and switching to a controlled wet food diet of Fancy Feast Classic wet food. I just found out today about home testing being an option, so I am planning to do that. I also have 2 other cats, Stinkle and Itty Bitty, and a dog, Jewel.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jessica and Squishy (hee hee cute name) WELCOME TO FDMB
    Wow it sounds like you have a decent vet! :cool: Great choice for food and "allowing" you to home test. I say that because we get so many new members who's vet says it isnt necessary. Well IT is! Kudos to you for taking charge. Testing is the only way to keep Squishey safe. We highly recommend it.
    I think maybe you may want to start here"
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

We are dedicatedto hlp anyone who graces these forums. WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY! :bighug:
    jeanne

Jessica G likes this.
  3. Jessica G

Jessica G New Member

Thank you! I've been reading all the articles from web page for this group. My vet would prefer to treat with Lantus, however its expensive and the pharmacist I spoke with said that Lantus is only supposed to be used for 28 days after puncturing the seal on the vial or pen. Where can I find insight on this?

We will be following up with the vet office the next day they're open (Tuesday 9/8/20) to get prescription for insulin and syringes and to learn how to give him his shots.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

Waaaait a minuet Yes Lantus IS expensive but most lantus users order it for Marks Pharmacy in Canada I will find that link for you ok?
    Also the storage and usage of Lantus that your vet is talking about is for HUMANS. For cats you can leave it in the refrigerator It last MUCH LONGER
    Lantus is a GOOD insulin for cats. A LOT of our members swear by it.
    I no longer have a diabetic kitty so I'm not up on everything so lets get some peeps over here to help.
    Hold on ;)

5. jt and trouble (GA)

while you are waiting you might want to get this started
    FDMB SPREADSHEET INSTRUCTIONS

This community is data driven spreadsheets record the day to day workings of insulin and how it works in your kitties body.

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jessica!

Welcome to you and Squishy. :)

First up, if Lantus is properly handled and stored in the body of your fridge you can use a vial or pen for about 6 months. Humans tend not to keep their Lantus refrigerated all the time, hence the 28-day official expiry.

The pens are the best value because most cats only need very small doses of insulin and it's unlikely you'd use the full 10ml in a vial before it becomes unusable.

On cost, most US members who use Lantus and Levemir get a written prescription from their vets and then order their insulin from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada - way cheaper than what you'd pay in the US. If you work out the cost per unit of Lantus from Canada with the cost per unit of other insulins in the US, there isn't much of a muchness in the price. If you look in the forum FAQs section you'll see details there. I think the thread title is something like 'Ordering Insulin from Canadian Pharmacies'.

Mogs

7. Critter Mom

Re hometesting:

If you're in the US, most members use the Relion Prime meter from Walmart. It has the cheapest test strips. You can also get lancets (29 gauge or a lower number gauge) and urine ketone test strips at Walmart's.

Some helpful resources to get you going:

Home Testing Links and Tips

Testing and Injection Tips

Mogs

8. jt and trouble (GA)

Hi Mogs Ive been searching for that link for Marks so now I'm looking in the lantus forum for someone that should know. thanks!

9. Critter Mom

Try going to FAQs, pressing CTRL-F (find) and then search for "Canada" (assuming you're using a PC).

Mogs

10. jt and trouble (GA)

11. jt and trouble (GA)

Sorry for the delay Jessica. :(

12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Gill & Mac (UK) and Critter Mom like this.
  13. jt and trouble (GA)

LOL You know better than that. I was just really stressed out, looking for that link and you POPPED right into my head.
    Thanks AL;):bighug:

14. jt and trouble (GA)

15. Jessica G

Jessica G New Member

Thanks!

16. jt and trouble (GA)

To create your signature (it appears at the bottom of each post) All you have to do is, go up to your user name that is listed on the top right, in the dark border, and put your cursor on your name, a drop down menu should appear, with an item on the left called signature. You want to type your name, kitties name, type of insulin used, age of cat, male or female (M or F) date of DX any other health issues, food he eats, type of meter you are using, any other drugs prescribed.

The trick is to abbreviate because its only going to allow so many characters.
    Take a look at how others filled theirs out. then go from there.

hope this helps!
    jeanne

17. Jessica G

Jessica G New Member

I think I got it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.