New here & newly diagnosied kitty-Cinnamon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dancersmom, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancersmom

dancersmom New Member

Our 14 yr old siamese-Cinnamon was diagnosed with feline diabetes on Friday. I've been reading everything I can find here & on the web. At the vet, Cinnamon's blood glucose (sp?) was 346. He started her on 2 units twice a day, 12 hrs apart of vetsulin. I can't believe how much better she's already acting/feeling -perkier, eating better, & drinking less water. She goes back on friday for a check-up & bloodwork. I'm glad I found this site, and all the valuable knowledge & experience everyone here has! Thanks in advamce for all the info & help I know I'll be getting from this board.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

I'm very glad that Cinnamon is responding so well to treatment! But I have a warning for you; your insulin has been recalled due to stability issues! so please chat with your vet on Monday ok?

That aside, have you read the faq yet? it is listed at Janet's page http://binkyspage.tripod.com/ ; please do read it through and learn about monitoring urine for ketones, testing blood glucose levels at home, and the importance of diet.

Could you tell us more about yourselves? What food do you feed, other medical conditions, etc....

Jen

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

VETSULIN New here & newly diagnosied kitty-Cinnamon

Hi and Welcome to FDMB

As Jen has said there is currently a warning on vetsulin. I'm guessing by the brand name it means you are in USA/Canada?
    I would also urge you to talk to your vet as the company themselves are urging vets to transition cats to alternative insulins.

Personal preference would be Lantus or Levemir-long acting insulins with far better results than vetsulin in terms of dose amount and possibility of becoming diet controlled.

I'm afraid I'm at work and lunch is over, but this will bump you up and hopefully others will be able to chime in with advice.

To persuade your vet-if you click on Vetsulin ISG there is a link of the video presentation made by the company advising to swap to alternative insulin.

If you click on Lantus isg-stickies that tell you about this insulin and links talking about the research that has been done and the success rate at getting cats diet controlled.

PS-don't panic about the Vetsulin, the main issue seems to be that it's onset,peak and duration are no longer predictable (this is a short actiung insulin, but with these effects they are saying the effects could last longer. Makes monitoring more difficult)-please don't increase dose anymore till you've spoken to your vet and let us know what they say.

The Vetsulin isg is a quiet one so would suggest you post in there and here.-makes it easier for those with knowledge of vetsuilin to find you but the added help of lots of eyes.

Good luck

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best site on the planet.
    I'm glad kitty is feeling better but please read the FAQ's especially about hometesting and why it is so important. You will be glad you did.

"The problem with curves done in the vets office is that cats get stressed out when they go to the vet, which makes their BG's go up. Then the vet might raise the dose based on those high numbers. When you get home, your cat isn't stressed anymore and his BG's go down. But you're still going to give him the dose that was based on those higher numbers and that could be very dangerous for your cat. That's why we say you need to hometest." cat_pet_icon

Again welcome,
    Jeanne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.