Need some quick advice! AMPS reading 13.5

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Douglas_my ginger cat, Sep 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas_my ginger cat

Douglas_my ginger cat Member

Hi, Douglas' reading this morning is 13.5. I know the no shoot threshold is 11.1 but this is quite a drop and also my first yellow reading in the morning. I am at work all day so cannot monitor him throughout the day. Do you think I should skip?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry you didn't get any help sooner!!

It's always going to be safer to skip if you can't be home to test, especially with Caninsulin since it can drop them so quickly.

Douglas will probably be a lot higher at the next shot time but better too high for a day than too low for a moment!

3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Exactly this!

4. Douglas_my ginger cat

That's exactly what I did. I retested 20 mins later but still sat the same so skipped for the day.

5. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

I don’t think you had much option. If you’d shot at that number and were out all day you’d have been a nervous wreck. I’m guessing you can’t pop home at lunchtime (like another UKer who joined the board in the early days of treatment but not so much now) - or work from home occasionally? So you just have to do the safest thing.

6. Douglas_my ginger cat

Absolutely, I would've just be worrying all day. I can work from home occasionally but this week was just not a good week to do it.

I am slowly learning :)

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Morning, Anna.

Just something to think about: the PM cycle of the night before last had a nadir of 5.0/90 (human meter). That's right on the cusp of a dose reduction per the FDMB Caninsulin guidelines. If you keep getting PS readings that are too low for comfort you might want to consider reviewing Douglas' dose and discuss it with your vet.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.