Need live help in Boulder, Colorado

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Okay folks,

I've had about 16 meltdowns in the last 4 or 5 days, I'm exhausted, I can't get anything done around the house, everything is piling up. I have ADHD and that just slows everything down and I'm frustrated, tired, stressed, frazzled, and its already noon and I haven't done anything but cat stuff today. I can't live like this. I can't get my own stuff done even without a diabetic cat.

Oh, and did I mention there's a pandemic going on? I'm unemployed, not enough income to meet expenses, Yah, there is more...... I'm so stressed I'm starting to shut down.

This morning after failure getting the ear blood I went for a walk and slammed the door. Probably scared my kitty no end. You know, this is getting bad. I don't want to put him down, I don't want to re-home him but I need help. How many meltdowns can I have before it becomes a nervous breakdown? I'm trying to avoid that.

I'm reaching out for help. I've asked my church to come and help and they are probably going to do *something*.... but what I really need right now is:

Someone to come over to my house a couple times a day, and take over the testing and shots for at least a couple of days or better, a week. So I can calm down, stop scaring my cat, and get a few immediate things done that I'm not getting done. Oh yah. And eat meals. Squeaky can have a calm person doing the dirty work, getting him used to the whole thing. And I can watch and learn, and be taught the tips and tricks.

I can pay something, but probably not $1000 for this kind of help. Does anyone here live nearby and have some time to come over and help?

Thank you. Usually I'm a very calm and capable person. This is not fun.

Jan and Squeaky

2. Jan D & Squeaky

I may have found someone, thanks to Shelle at DCIN. Wouldn't hurt to have a backup.....

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jan -

Even a cat sitter who's a vet tech would charge reasonable amounts. I think my cat sitter charges about $16/visit. I put some feelers out as well.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  4. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you so much.

5. Jan D & Squeaky

Actually $16 a visit would be reasonable. Usually they charge around $65 if you get a vet tech.

6. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Hi, Jan. I’m in Colorado but south metro Denver. I can be available for some real time phone support if that would be helpful (or even zoom!)

Some suggestions:
    1- ask vet tech at your veterinarian whether they do any pet sitting on the side and if they’d be available to help coach you thru learning how to poke.

2- check yelp. The pet sitting services GENERALLY do not include shots but there may be vet techs working with some of these agencies.

but I do think your best bet is to ask your vet/vet techs!! I know it’s really scary and frustrating right now. It does get better and easier but this learning part is so hard because we love our pets and want to do our best for them!

7. Jan D & Squeaky

Happy to report that DCIN found someone to come over, and she took Squeaky's BG this afternoon. Taught me a whole lot of pointers and more importantly, calmed me down. :cool:

8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I’m glad you found some help. It is difficult at first, but I promise it will get easier and we will help you in any way we can:bighug:

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Tears of JOY this time! Sleep well.

10. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you it made all the difference in the world. AND so has this group, I'm going to start another thread telling what my vet said.....

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  11. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Omg I totally understand!
    I have ADD, no H more like hypoactivity..
    Before my cats diagnosis I was a night owl, up all night not ready to start my day before noon. Lots of routine but definitely not time wise.
    Now I've got structure, I'm up at the latest at 9, garden/smoke/dog pee, 9:40 making raw food ready, test bg, feed and shoot. Then make canned food and tidying the litter box. Done at 10. Then I throw in some testing during the day, some days more than others, sometimes I'm out the door at 10. Now I got my SS I can see my cat dips at +5/+7 so around then I usually test. Then I have the next 6 hours at my disposal.
    The first few months I felt I was living from 12 hours/shoot time to the next 12.
    I don't anymore, the structure has done me good!

One thing is for sure, you need to cry, be messed up, confused and mad about the whole thing. Cause its darn unfair, sad, discouraging. Its a sorrow when our furry ones get sick. You need to get it out of your system. And it turns everything around and back again just as we're getting used to be turned around. And for us, who really likes to know what's going on and happening next, its terrifying.

But it really does get better. Knowing you're the only thing keeping the cat alive is a huge pressure, but it bringes routine, structure, fixed times to be home reduces the stress elsewhere.

Support is great, both here and IRL. The more you stress, the more your cat stress resulting in chaos. With animals, fake it till you make it.

Sharon14 and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  12. jt and trouble (GA)

WOW the benefits of feline diabetes! Who knew????
    Kudos for you Sasha!

SashaV likes this.
  13. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Anytime Jeanne!
    In danish we have a saying, nothing is so bad it isn't good for something :D

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  14. jt and trouble (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.