Need Advice - Cat Vomiting at Same Time Last Couple Mornings

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Glynnis, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glynnis

Glynnis New Member

Hello There Everybody,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if you would think it's even related to diabetes. Jakob has been vomiting at almost the exact same time every morning for the past 3 nights - about 4:00 AM. The first 2 nights, I found hairballs, so I didn't take any alarm, but last this morning there weren't any hairballs and he threw up everywhere. His behaviour is perfectly normal, he doesn't appear dehydrated and he is eating well. I didn't think to check his BG - I'm not too bright at 4AM. Does anyone think I should be worried?

Glynnis

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Re: Need Advice - Cat Vomiting at Same Time Last Couple Morn

Is he throwing up food or just clear liquid / bile?

You may want to have him tested for Hyperthyroid.

Two of my elderly cats have Hyperthyroid and one vomits almost every day between 4 & 5 a.m. -- always thin liquid / bile -- not food. He is on Tapazole pills and his thyroid levels are normal with the meds, but they don't help with his upset stomach.

3. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Not worried, but check his bg next time even if 4am.

Last year Simba started doing that, and ended up at hospital with feeding tube and when they tested for Texas fPLI, it showed it was a pancreatitis again that had snuck up on us. And with all the vomitting, losing food and not eating, his numbers of course got all wonky, so off he was from his insulin dose, until he started to eat and feel better again.

Not saying Jakob will have this, but if it continues keep track of the bgs.

4. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

It would be a good idea to have your cat checked out by a vet.
    A lot of conditions can cause this type of vomiting (crf, pancreatitis, hyper-t, ibd).

A few things you could try...

feed your kitty right before you go to bed at night. If possible leave out a little food overnight. This type of vomiting can be caused due to an empty tummy for too long.

You can try and raise food/water bowls.

When you talk to your vet and possibly have some tests done, ask if it would be appropriate to give an antacid (often pepcid) before bed.

Good luck!

5. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Any change in diet? Could Jakob be constipated? Have you seen him have a bowel movement? Just trying to rule out some stuff. Since this is a new and unusual problem, I would take him to the vet for a check-up. Good luck!

6. Glynnis

Glynnis New Member

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for all of your replies. I thought I would start with the simplest solution and gave Jakob about a tablespoon of his food just before bed time and -- success! For now anyway. I haven't awakened the last 2 nights at 4AM to his heaving. So perhaps that was the reason, perhaps not but like I said before, his appearance and behaviour have not changed. I will keep a sharp eye for the next few weeks.

Cheers!

Glynnis

7. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

My Megan used to have a problem with early-morning vomiting (only fluid, no food). From something I read, I thought it was possible that an empty tummy for too long was the culprit. So I started dividing her daily food into three equal portions, breakfast, dinner, and bedtime. That was several years ago, and she has been just fine ever since. If I am out of town, the pet sitter does only 2 meals, and pretty often I come home to some throw-up spots on the floor. But getting back to three meals a day takes care of the problem.

All three of my cats on on the three-meals plan, and so far it is working very well.

It could well be that adding the food right before bedtime is the only solution you need. I hope so!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.