Napoleon 5/17

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Nicole and Napoleon, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

AMPS - 326 1.25U
    +3 - 286
    +4 - 269
    +7 - 206
    +11 - 288
    PMPS - 300 1.25U
    +2 - 354
    +5 - 376

Well, at least our first part of the day was promising. Just have to have patience with this ;-)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yep nicole, i just sent you a pm...i think patience is the name of the game here. you've got that inverse curve thing which is either panicky liver (that's what i think) or we will eventually increase dose but try to ride it out for a couple of cycles.
    betcha he comes back down by tomorows amps.
    how's he acting?

3. Nicole and Napoleon

I am hoping so also with the panicky liver. He seems worn out tonight, but I guess that is to be expected also.
    Thanks so much for the encouragement, it's definitely a comfort right now :)

4. Nicole and Napoleon

Not seeing your PM Lori, maybe something went goofy with my inbox. Didn't want to seem rude by not responding to it since you sent one :)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i don't see it either, maybe i did'nt pm but just responded to your other post. seems like we have both of them working. ;-)

6. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Just wanted to check in and ask if you have been testing for ketones? If Napoleon has a history of ketones and he's experiencing these high numbers, it would be a very good idea to get some Diastix and test regularly. You can get them over the counter and they are relatively cheap. Extra food and fluids can help a little bit, but they only go so far. More insulin is usually needed. If you get a positive reading for ketones, you'd want to consult with your vet right away.

I think the start low, go slow document says to wait a week before increasing the dose. The advice I've read on the PZI forum usually says that waiting a few cycles is often enough. Also, dose increases are usually .2u (when using u40 insulin with u100 syringes), unless ketones are present or there's a history of ketones.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT I was as happy as you i think to see that amps.
    GO NAPOLE)N!!!!

8. Nicole and Napoleon

Hi Donna,

Yes, I have been checking for ketones. I checked for them this morning and it was negative. Even when he was trace before I could smell them on his breath too, so that is my double check. Napoleon is on U100 strength of BCP 100% bovine insulin. We'll see where he is tonight.

Hi Lori,

Thanks! Definitely! Something is going on there where he can lower on his own :smile: I just wish I could see some blues!!! Hopefully soon.

9. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Very curious why you went to 1.50U PMPS?

10. Nicole and Napoleon

Hi Michelle,
    I selected certain doses up to 1.5 to give depending on his preshot numbers. 1u for under 300, 1.25 for low 300s and 1.50 for 350 and above. He was at 330 at PMPS and he spikes when he eats so I assumed very shortly he would be at 350 and dosed based on that. Also he is not looking well and with his history of ketones (although they have been trace to low) I would like to try 1.5 for a few days to see how he adjusts. This has been a 6 month battle we have been fighting with getting him regulated and I just want to get him some sort of relief. Since he was responding decently to the 2.5, but knowing 3u is too high of a dose, I am trying to find some middle ground and with his consistently high numbers I am hoping the .25 does the trick. If I start to see rebound I will be sure to cut back to 1.25.

11. Nicole and Napoleon

Please know I am following an advice given as I know those that have given me support and suggestions have a lot more experience and success at this. My dose tonight may have been a mistake, I hope it was not. I just thought that those 20 points would be upon him shortly and thought I was doing the correct thing.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nancy you are the mom....and no one knows napolean better than you so you do what you have to do. this is a marathon not a sprint so we have a long way to go and i will always respect your instinct.
    that does'nt mean i did'nt wish you would have stuck with 1.25 or am afraid you'll just keep going up again with your dosing...but i do respect it's YOUR decision. I'm with you hoping for the best!
    lori and tomtom
    high paws!

13. Michelle & Prudence

Hi Nicole, First of all... you're doing great. This whole process can be crazy at times. Just remember to breathe and know that everything will be fine. Positive positive :D Our babies can pick up on our vibes too, haha I was just curious about the dose. You know your baby better than I do, so I know you are trying everything you can to figure out his dose. My only concern is that you try to stay consistent with at least a few cycles... unless you see some crazy lower numbers.

I had mentioned in a previous post about upping at dose at PMPS - IMHO I think it's best to do this..if need be, but during AMPS. There's a fine line there too cause upping a dose could trigger really low numbers, so doing this at AMPS you would want to be home to test if need be. Wow, I hope that made sense ohmygod_smile Let me explain why I say PMPS should be the lower dose. Kitties usually ride lower in the PM, so if someone is shooting a higher dose from AMPS vs. PMPS... you can get into overlap which will trigger crazy numbers again. I understand you want to follow a scale, but I think it's too soon for that. again, IMO, I think you would want to find your ideal dose and work down from that then figure out your scale. I know ppl are giving you lots of advice. Just take in what you can and it will get easier ;-) You're doing great! :YMHUG:

14. Nicole and Napoleon

Thank you so much Lori and Michelle!

I respect both of your opinions and value your advice very much. I will stick with the 1.5 for at least the next few cycles and see where that takes us. It just seems to do something for him at least behavior wise. He is more of himself and even looks better. I will definitely take this slow cause I do not want to overlook the correct dose for him since that may be why we are even at this place now. I know that this can take time and a new dose needs to adjust. I will continue to update my spreadsheet and update the PZI thread. Last night was a little hectic in my house so I haven't had a chance to update our spreadsheet until this morning. I actually got a little sleep if you can believe it :eek: Thank you both again for looking out for me and Napoleon and I hope to continue to have your input and suggestions as we move forward :YMHUG:

Nicole

15. Michelle & Prudence

Great call Nicole! Sending you great numbers today. :D

16. Nicole and Napoleon

Thanks Michelle ;-)

Napoleon has a vet appointment for blood work, etc. Please keep your fingers crossed for us that all is okay. It is much appreciated.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

all fingers and paws crossed over here.
    would'nt fault you for raising the dose at this point. hope you'll go slow.

18. Nicole and Napoleon

Thank you Lori :smile: I'll keep you updated.

19. Michelle & Prudence

Thinking of you guys this morning. Hugs to Napoleon cat_pet_icon

20. Nicole and Napoleon

Thank you so much Michelle :YMHUG:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.