nancy and cody and Tenderfoot update

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Nancy and Cody, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Were home finally and diabetic acro kitty Cody was happy as a clam and looks great, but Tenderfoot is very very sick again. His vet told me she loves him and would try anything to save him, but that this time he may be too weak to fight.

His eyes are distant like he's already giving up. I brought him home so Chris could say goodbye. He's been losing weight and we've suspected cancer for some time. Xrays show liver/abdominal masses, WBC are very high, and his muscles are wasting. Jenny (DD) has done a heroic job of keeping him alive this past 2 weeks until he could come home...were trying fluids, baby food, and injectable baytril to see if he has one more rally, but I can tell he's not himself anymore- what id give to hear his sweet rumble on my pillow one more night.

2. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Nancy))) I commented on your post in health, but I just wanted to give you another hug here.
    Keeping you and Tenderfoot in my thoughts.

3. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

I'm so sorry you're going through such a tough time. Big hugs.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((Nancy))))))) I am so sorry.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

(((((Nancy))))) oh god I can imagine how you feel. I have'nt been there yet but I sure can imagine. I share your pain tonight as you long for tenderfoots (who's name I love) loud purrs on your pillow. damn there i go holding back a tear. :cry:

6. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

(((Nancy))) (((Tenderfoot)))

7. Nancy and Cody

God granted my wish- at bedtime Tender was happy to sleep wrapped around my head, and was able to "do his job" one more time, and gave us his beautiful rumble. I was able to record him..... for my lonely nights ahead.

Tenderfoot has gone. He died at home, in his favorite of many beds, with John and I with him, crying and saying our goodbye. He stretched his legs- relaxed, and stopped breathing, just about 2pm

Cody was able to thoroughly clean his face and snuggle with him before he left. I know this helped comfort him in his last hour. Unfortunately, he did have a seizure before he died. This was awful, but it all came on so fast, he almost seemed better last night, but then today lost bladder control, and the ability to stand up. 20 min after the seizure, before I could get the vet to come, he drifted off to the bridge.

I cleaned him up, and wrapped him in his blanket, but I cannot make myself take him to the vet. He is so soft- like a bunny. The vet said I need to put him in the freezer, but I can't. Chris doesn't know and he doesn't get home till 6. He came into our home as Chris' cat.

I can't stop crying I miss him so.

Someone please post the poems about the bridge so I can let him go. rb_icon wings_cat

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry that you lost your sweet Tenderfoot. I am thinking how wonderful and comforting it would be if we all could leave this world with hugs and kisses, surrounded by those we love and who love us. He had a great life - what more can a kitty ask for?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nancy I can feel all your emotions as I read them. It is truly a gift to die a beautiful death and yes you can die a beautiful death. safe, warm, surrounded by love and security, animals and people with you tending to you and expressing their love. a long stretch and then...off to the other place. I am sure tender felt no fear or anything other than love as he departed.
    this makes me smile if you don't mind...so few of us and so few animals get this gift.
    as for you dear nancy...you know we all feel that empty longing loss you feel. the heart that is torn apart. the longing for our beloved to be with us.
    goodbye sweet tenderfoot with the lovely name. you are indeed blessed with such a beautiful life and death.
    ((((((nancy)))))))

10. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

(((((((Nancy))))))) I'm so sorry that you've lost Tenderfoot. Fly free, ~~~Tenderfoot~~~! Norton will be at the bridge to meet you...

11. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Nancy

12. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

I'm crying with you. I'm so sorry for your loss, but so happy you got some last moments with him.

13. cjleo

cjleo Member

(((Nancy))) Fly free and angel wings, Tenderfoot.

May you find peace and comfort in your time of sorrow.

Claudia

14. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your lost. I am so very grateful that you had those last few moments with him at home. He is now at peace, and pain free. I know he will always be with you, watching over you. Fly fee little one. rb_icon

15. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Im so sorry for your loss.

16. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

((Nancy)) I am so sorry for your loss.

17. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Nancy )) - The Bridge story may help comfort you all

"The Rainbow Bridge"

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

18. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Oh, Nancy, I'm so sorry. No words can help, but know that there are others, your friends here, who understand your loss and grieve with you.

19. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

(((Nancy))) I am so sorry. Fly free Tenderfoot rb_icon

20. Girlcat

Girlcat Member

(((((((Nancy))))))))) and yu were helping me just the other day...im so sorry your boy is gone.i wish it could of been different. i wish they never have to get sick or old. im here for you too. you were a good mom and dont forget that.(((Fly Free Cody))))) we love you (((hugs)))))

21. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

Godspeed and Angelwings dear love Tenderfoot...(((Nancy)))

22. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh No. (((((Nancy)))). My heart is breaking for you. I wish there were some way to ease the pain you are feeling, but I know that when you lose someone you love, there is no other way. I am so glad that Tenderfoot was able to die at home with you, surrounded by your love. And what a blessing that he slept that one more time on your pillow and gave you the gift of his purring. You and he were lucky to have the years you did together. And he was so very lucky to have a mama bean totally devoted to his care. I truly know the ache of wanting to hold him and have him not be there. I hope that your happy memories will sustain you until that can ease somewhat in the weeks and months to come.
    Can someone else take him to the vet for you?
    Thank you for letting us know about his last days with you. You and he are in my heart.

23. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Good night sweet prince..

((((Nancy)))) I just heard and I am truly sorry he's gone. I had been hoping against hope as well I guess.. I know his leaving has pulled a giant hole in your heart and there really is no cure for it but time. I wish I could be there to give you a big ole hug, and another for your wonderful Jenny. She did so well for him. I'm just heartbroken.. for him, for you and for your family..
    Fly free sweet Tenderfoot, be sure to visit your mama now and then..

24. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Nancy)))))
    I am truly sorry for your loss of Tenderfoot. I am glad you had one more night with him to hear him purr on your pillow. I think he was waiting for you to get home from your vacation so he could say goodbye.
    My heart is with you...
    Fly free Tenderfoot and land every so softly at the bridge.

25. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Nancy))) I'm so sorry. :sad: I could 'hear' the pain & hurt in your post, and tears are falling here. He'll always have a spot in your heart.. that will never diminish.

(((HUGS))) & tears,
    -Steph

26. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

Nancy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it's wonderful that you were able to record his purr so his voice can comfort you. My heart breaks for you. It seems like too many wonderful mamas have been losing their kitties recently. Tenderfoot is waiting at the bridge for you.

27. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Nancy))))) I am so very sorry for your loss. That is beautiful that he waited til you got back home, and gave you a goodbye gift before he left, of pillow snuggles and purrs. It doesn't make the loss any easier, but I hope it will bring you some peace in the days to come. Fly free Tenderfoot rb_icon

28. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

It's wonderful that you got to record his purr. He passed into the next
    realm in the arms of love.

May all your best memories of Tenderfoot comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

29. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for your loss Nancy. Fly free Tenderfoot. A blessing he was able to pass in the security of his own bed. The passing of our little guys is so unbelievably difficult.

30. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. How beautiful that you were able to record him and now he can purr you to sleep anytime.

Fly free Tenderfoot, land softly at the bridge.

31. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

you will probably need to put him in the freezer to avoid a smell. that doesn't mean you can't pull him out occasionally during the night if you need to hug him and say goodbye. i did that with cleo and it helped me. it may sound awful but nobody really knows what it's like until he/she has been in your shoes.

i'm terribly sorry for your loss, nancy. they own such a huge piece of our hearts. (((Hugs)))

32. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Your (our) loss but what a wonderful welcoming at the Bridge for your boy - he was able to be home - he was able to sleep in his usual spot - near you - and purring - and you were able to get that purr on tape so you will have it forever. What blessings and such love he left with you.

I hurt for you reading your posts - knowing the pain you're going through and how tough it is to say goodbye to these furry companions that we love so much. I'm hoping that the purr on tape and the memories and love you shared will comfort you in the time ahead - in your grief.

We share your sadness. Sending many comforting thoughts and prayers your way.

Fly Free, Tenderfoot - tell all of those who are waiting for you how much we miss and love them and know that you are loved and missed.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

33. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss Nancy. Be well, Tenderfoot, and visit your loved ones soon.

Remember Our Love

I was chosen today
    I'm learning to fly
    the world took me away,
    but please don't you cry

And I chose you today
    to try and be strong
    so please don't you cry
    and don't say that I'm gone

When you're feeling alone
    just remember our love,
    I'm up near the stars
    looking down from above.

Remember our love
    In a moment you'll see
    that I'm still here beside you
    when you're thinking of me.

Julie Epp

34. Nancy and Cody

Thank you everyone, your support is so much help. I know we write too many of these, but let me tell you I am so grateful for your kind words and poems- it does give me comfort- it really does. I will read them again and again over the coming days- thank you.

I never did put him in the freezer - I just couldn't. I held him, bathed him, and spoke to him. Cody, Tucker, John and Chris all had time with him - so they truly understand. Many years ago, I had just moments with my dog after she passed- and still regret that 25 years later.
    Around 9 the man came to the house. He will be individually cremated and I will have his ashes back tomorrow at noon. I picked a beautiful urn befitting my prince.

Cody and Tender were litermates with no momma, bottle fed babies. They came into this world with a rough start, but we have given them wonderful lives, so I have no regrets- only that he left us too soon.
    Thank you everyone. Keep Cody in your thoughts- he's a little lost

35. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Nancy)))

I am so sorry to read this. My heart goes out to you and your family.
    You did get your wish though. I hope that will serve as some comfort when this isn't all so new.

Fly free, sweet Tenderfoot rb_icon

hugs~
    Caryl, Alex & Jackson

36. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

We are so sorry for your loss of Tenderfoot - we cried as we read how he passed peacefully with you there for his last breath. Oh, such sweet sorrow. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Lot of love & hugs. Susan & Lanky

37. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

((((Nancy)))) I rarely come to anything but Community since my Charlie left... It seems when I do, I cry... Again that has happened, but only because reading your word regarding your sweet Tenderfoot... brought back my Charlie's last night with us. And yes... the few minutes we are given.. or we give our selves... if we could only turn backwards time. I'm glad that Tender rumbled at your head.... I'm so glad you have that to remember...

I've taken one of my poems and 'refreshed' it for your wonderful Tender... What a perfect call name for him... for I know how tender your love for him was, is and ever shall be. And what's more perfect is.. he knows it too as he glances back to home and waits for you all to join him, when the time is right.

A Tender Path
    © 2011 (by Carol Notermann)

I could hear you saying Tender, in your very gentle way.
    You told me that it was all right, I didn’t have to stay.
    I was really very tired, and the light was leaving too
    I closed my eyes a second, and a field came into view.

I still could hear you talking, but you seemed quite far away
    Though I longed to be beside you, I just couldn’t seem to stay
    For one moment I was with you, and then in an angel’s arm(s)
    He gently kissed my forehead and said I am free from harm.

He carried me so gently right up into the sky.
    He told me that there was a place for loving cats like I.
    He set me down by others who gathered out of love
    They welcomed me and cleaned my face as stars shown just above.

He gently petted me and said I only had to wait
    That before I‘d time to miss you, you’d be coming through the gate.
    He said that very loyal pets, are granted special space
    To wait for those who loved them, to see again their face.

So please, know I am waiting with dogs and cats, and many more
    For the day that I can see again the faces I adore.
    It’s really such a lovely place, there’s no sickness and no pain.
    I’ll be so very filled with joy when I see you once again.

Till then I’ll spend time remembering the last night that we had
    And how I felt so loved and warm while cuddling you and Dad.
    I’ve got a mental picture, I feel your gentle touch,
    I know that you must realize I love you all so much.

Tenderfoot

Now, I'd like to post one of the day... long in the future, but only an instant at the Bridge.. when Tenderfoot will lift his nose.... and pick up a scent..... and....

The Ridge
    © 2004 By Carol Notermann

It’s been such a lovely summer, I’ve been napping in the sun.
    This morning, other cats and I enjoyed a long long run.
    We chased butterflies together. I climbed high into a tree.
    And now I think what woke me up was that small bumble bee.

I’ve yawned and stretched, and still I feel that something has begun.
    He’s standing there in robes of white, and telling me to come.
    I always run to Him you know, when He comes across the bridge
    To see if we’re all having fun and if we’ve checked the ridge.

He gives tummy rubs to all of us and pets and cuddles too
    I’m glad to see Him every day, when He comes into view.
    Each day He takes a different cat, and chats with them a while
    Then off that kitty starts to run. I swear they seem to smile.

But now He’s stopped in front of me. He’s said a name I know.
    He said to look out towards the ridge. The sun is setting low.
    I start to walk out toward the ridge, and then what’s that I see.
    IT’S YOU! IT’S YOU! IT'S REALLY YOU!!!! You’ve come to be with me!

My goodness you are running and I am running too!
    You stop to bend, but I can jump and now I am with you.
    I feel your kisses on my head, as I did in long off days
    You’re holding me and hugging me, and into your eyes I gaze.

And now He’s walking with us, as you carry me once more
    We’ve crossed Rainbow Bridge together. We’re here at Heaven’s door.
    And He has held it open, and told us to walk through
    That from now on and forever, I can always be with you.

38. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Oh Nancy
    My heart sank to read this. Such an empty hole in our hearts our special loves leave behind. Reading how you got to spend the time together with tenderfoot and that he was held and loved to the end - what a special blessing for all of you.
    Sending you the warmest of hugs and thoughts! And knowing there are so many of our special kitties greeting your Tenderfoot at the bridge!
    xxx
    patti and always in my heart Merlin

39. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry you have lost your dear Tenderfoot.
    What a blessing that he was able to pass at home surrounded by his animal companion and his humans in his bed feeling safe and comfortable surrounded by love.
    That is truly a blessing...most furkids are not that fortunate.
    Fly free to the Rainbow Bridge; Tenderfoot until you meet your loved ones again.

40. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((((((NANCY))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Sending many cyber hugs. I am so sorry Tenderfoot had to leave you. Tenderfoot is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

wings_cat

41. Nancy and Cody

Thank you Carol, thank you everyone

I'm having a really tough time so I just cant find any words right now - just working on breathing and staying as busy as I can. Hoping each day gets better. - I haven't had much experience with loss

42. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

It will get better, Nancy. Just too slowly. It tends to get better and worse and better and worse and comes in waves. I find it helps to spend some time away from the house or wherever I feel her the most, also to distract myself with other things. And to be prepared to unexpectedly, without warning, find myself dissolving in tears. I know you are strong, you take such good care of your pets, and offer so much invaluable help here. So you will be able to bear the pain, even when you feel it is too much, and slowly it will decrease. You are in the hearts of so many people who wish to comfort you. I hope you can have some dreams where you and Tender are together and you can feel the joy of holding him.

43. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Dear Nancy,

I am so very, very sorry for your loss of your wonderful Tenderfoot. It is never, ever easy to lose our furbabies, whether they are very old, or whether they are young. There seems to never be enough time with our sweet innocent furbabies.

Like Carol, who writes such beautiful poetry and has helped so many of us, I too do not come around as much as I used to. In 2009, it was a hard year for so many of us here, (though every year is hard for many, I know), and Carol lost her sweet boy, Charlie that year. I lost five of my cats in a period of only six months. The youngest was Proto, who was a black and white tuxedo, and he was only 5 years old.

Since my husband died in June of 2005, I have lost seven cats, and I thank God that Bill was not here to go through the tremendous grief that I went through after each loss. Each cat I lose is a reminder of a part of my husband and the connection we shared with the love we had for these sweet members of our family.

Please know in your heart, that you will move on, perhaps slowly at first, but as days and weeks go by, you will look back at the happier times you and your husband and family shared with Tenderfoot, and you will know that he is in a better place for now, and will be waiting for you one day.

I pray that Cody will not grieve for too long, but our animals do go through periods of grief, as we do. When my husband died, our oldest girl, Gracie, looked for my husband for almost a year, before she finally seemed to give up. My regret was that when Bill died here at home, that I did not let the cats out of the bedrooms to say their farewells to my husband, whom they all loved so much. So much was happening, and I was afraid they would get out the front door, so I kept them in the bedrooms until my husband's body was taken from our house. I can talk about it now, but I realized that after that time, I would allow the cats to visit with the other cats (as they died), as a way to help them seal their little hearts from wondering where their 'playmates' had disappeared to.

That was the best thing you did, allowing Cody to say his goodbyes to Tenderfoot. May you find comfort in all the friends you have made here on this site, and also stay especially close to Cody, and love him as much as you can.

Each day is a gift to all of us, and time goes by so quickly. I will be 62 on Friday, and I never thought I would get this far. I still have five cats here at home with me, and two that will probably not be here too long, but I have to prepare myself once again to face the loss when their quality of life no longer is good, and I only pray that they might die here at home, in their sleep, but I know that is rare.

Take care.
    Sending lots of ((((HUGS)))),
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

44. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Reading the poetry, thinking of you and Cody, I am actually crying. That lump in my throat is for all of us as well as you Nancy that love never dies but the presence of our beloved ones goes away. It is always so. And we are left with that empty place in our lives that was once filled. We can't deny it. Sometimes we can't bear it.

But we do, we do it for the other loves in our lives that need our love and presence and attention too. They need us and like we did for our departed one we put our thoughts aside to tend to their needs, their wants, their pain, their joy.
    Women do this all the time, some daddybeans do it too. We are needed and it helps to love the remaining ones get over their loss.

When I've been sick, or troubled, or sad, I know I put on a sweet happy voice for my Tom just so he know's all is well and all is safe. Before I know it I also feel well and safe. Loving our other babies helps the pain to feel less.

(((((Nancy))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.