My sweet, sweet Moritz

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lenistar, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenistar

lenistar Member

I can't post something too long right now, because I'm too sad. But I feel like I need support. Yesterday, I made the very difficult decision to have Moritz put to sleep. I can't believe I'm having to write this. He was ready. He was in distress. And when the vet came to house, he passed away just from the sedative.

He passed away in my arms. I believe he waited for that moment, knowing that it was the right way. I held him for awhile after.

I can't believe I'm waking up, and he isn't here. I mean, I know he's still here, but not in the same way. I've never dealt with death like this before. I can't even decide if the best thing to do is have a burial for him (there's a spot outside my bedroom window, where he used to sit at the window) or have him cremated and get his ashes back. And maybe scatter some of those in Berlin, where he came into my life when I was living there.

I know people here are caring and have gone through this, so any support would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Elena and Moritz, always in my heart

2. Pepe's mom

Pepe's mom Member

So sorry for your loss. I had to make the same decision for my cat Turtle this summer. She had lung cancer. Moritiz is still with you but it's tough not to have them by our side. I had Turtle cremated and they made a paw print for me which I appreciated. My thoughts are with you.

Sharon Pepe's mom

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss (((((((((Elena)))))))))
    Moritz will be waiting for you at The Bridge, and one day you will be reunited.
    He knows how much you love him.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

One thing I've learned is, if you plan on moving away, you may want to have your baby cremated. That way you wont leave him to strangers. Others may not respect what you respect. I hope this helps in some small way.
    My sincere condolences on the passing of your dear Moritz. It sounds like you did right by him. May his spirit remain with you always,
    jeanne

5. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Elena, I'm so sorry. Yes, everyone here understands.

I know what you're going through right now as I am also going through the same thing with my Buffy, waking up and she's not there. As difficult as it is, when they are declining by the hour, and suffering, you have no choice; and yet, I'm second-guessing myself. Maybe that's normal, I don't know.

Anyway, we made the decision to have Buffy cremated as I couldn't stand the thought of burying her. Also as Jeanne mentioned, if you happen to move, you can take Moritz with you.

And Sharon mentioned making a paw print, which our vet said she would do for us. We'll pick up the ashes next week and I'm putting them into a box that has a picture frame built in. I'm also placing her things within.

It's going to take time to get through this. Be good to yourself.

(((((HUGS)))))

Nancy ~ (Buffy's mom)

6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

So sorry your Moritz is no longer with you. How wonderful that he was in your arms when he left this body.

When we lost Peanut we had a hard time deciding about cremation or burial too. We thought about putting her under our deck where she loved to spend time. We ended up going with cremation for the reason someone else mentioned, should we ever decide to move we could take her with easier.

Hugs that it becomes more bearable and your good memories help ease the pain of loss.

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers. Except for my first cats. they have all been cremated and are still with me.

8. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Elena

I am so sorry for the loss of your Moritz. I had all mine cremated and have all the ashes in little pine urns. I also have my dear mothers dog as well. As others mentioned if I move I can take them with me.
    Again I am so sorry.

Terri

9. lenistar

lenistar Member

Thank you, everyone, for your support.

I just dug a hole with my father just outside of my window where Moritz used to look outside. I'm still second-guessing whether burial is the right thing, especially after reading the rest of the comments. I don't know. Moritz used to be an outdoor cat, and he I know he loved it outside. It's a sunny day here in Pennsylvania, so it's almost like he chose the time. There was also already a place, right outside my window, where an impression had already been made. The thought occurred to me, maybe as Moritz was looking outside, he was choosing the place.

Do you guys think burial is wrong? I'm going to keep some of his fur (already cut some last night), and I cut him some of my hair that's with him now and will be buried with him, if burial is what I choose. I was also going to print a photo or two to bury with him, and leave him an article of clothing, so my smell is with him. I also was thinking of planting a tree or some flowers there, so his spirit can continue to nourish life.

I'm overwhelmed and having difficulty deciding, but it's a bit pressing as I'd like to allow him to rest as soon as possible.

Thank you so much again,

10. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

It sounds like your heart, with maybe a little help from Moritz, has already guided you to a wonderful, beautiful plan.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You might bury most of the cremains where they can return to the cycle of life helping plants grow and retain a small vial of them to keep with you.

Whatever you choose will be right for you and Moritz.

12. gabeandren

gabeandren New Member

So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and sweet Moritz.

13. lenistar

lenistar Member

I want to thank everyone for your support.

I put Moritz to rest in the earth this afternoon in a spot just outside my window where he used to sit and look out. I think maybe he picked the spot himself, as he looked outside, and he was able to communicate to me that that's where he wanted to be.

I put an article of my clothing, some photos, a pillow case that I bought and first used the first night we were together, some fortunes (I collect fortunes from fortune cookies) that I think will help and comfort him at this time, some of my hair and a blanket he recently discovered and enjoyed. I cut the blanket in half; half is with him and half is with me, and when we're reunited, we can snuggle under the whole blanket together.

My father and a friend were present. Before I put him in the earth, I had some time alone with him. I held him and talked to him. And after, I sat with him alone and again spoke to him.

I wanted to let everyone know. This is an extremely difficult time, and I'm glad there's a place where so many people are gathered who know how difficult this is and who are willing to offer their support.

Thank you again,

14. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

(((Elena))) I am so sorry for your loss. Fly free Moritz rb_icon

I don't have words to comfort you, except to say I know how you are feeling. I lost my sweet boy, Jeddie, in July. I also buried him with favorite toys, a sprig of catnip from my balcony, etc. I think those things are important and meaningful to us. I especially understand the half blanket thing - and that is very touching.

Remember the good times and know that he loved you as you loved him and will always be in your heart.

(((hugs)))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.