Mr. Tinkles 6/5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Laurie and Mr Tinkles, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

AMPS 389, gave 1.75u, FF meal (AM shot given at +10, confirmed he was rising)
    +2 303
    +3.5 296
    +7.5 220 2oz FF

His nadir appears to be jumping all over the place. It has been pretty consistently at +6, yesterday was +8, last night was +4, unsure about today because I wasn't home between +3.5 and +7.5. I do give shots in the same area, to try to avoid absorption differences, so ?????

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hi Laurie,

I have not read all your postings, but looking at Tinkles SS. Have you considered TID? I only ask because looking at SS. Seems like insulin holds just over 8 hours. I had this problem with Prudence, but I was able to go TID since I work from home. I had just noticed how much you were testing during the day time, but wasn't sure how your schedule would be in the evening. TID.. there is a lot of testing going on, so you really would have to be able to do that. At any rate... numbers look good. You're doing great!!!!

3. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Hi Michelle,

I would consider doing any sort of schedule, including TID, if it would help Tinkles. I'm not afraid to try something that is a little unorthodox! I did dabble with TR briefly, but I didn't feel confident in my understanding of it, so i abandoned it. Unfortunately, I don't think TID would work out though because I am gone for 4-5 hours at a time several days a week. The way I have it set up, I can give him his shot and get back to test at +6 pretty much every day. Some days I can test earlier, some days I can test later in the curve also. I am home all day at least one day a week to do a full curve. But I am in and out a LOT, and I always have to plan his shot schedule very carefully. I will try to see if there is a way to adjust things so I could try TID though....I may be able to swing it somehow.

I looked at Prudence's SS...wow, I am impressed with what you have done! Congrats on getting her OTJ, it is inspiring to see that it is possible on prozinc! I have started to get a little discouraged with prozinc lately, wondering if it is the right insulin for Tinkles, but I am committed to giving it a fair try so I'm not ready to give up on it yet. Maybe TID would be worth the effort...I'll give it some serious consideration. Thanks for the encouragement!

4. Michelle & Prudence

Yes. you need to do whats best for you, family and Tinkles. If you do decide to go TID. Just keep in mind that it's very challenging. You are looking at a good 8 to 10 weeks of tight regulation. Thank you for the kind words in regards to OTJ. :smile: If you do go that route in the near future... let me know and I will help as much as I can. Sending you good vibes! Just remember to breathe when you hit those fur shots. ;-)

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Some kitties though have really benefited from only a few days of shooting as-needed and going for TR. Even over a long weekend or something it can help improve duration, even if you go back to shooting 12/12 after that. And some kitties (I think probably the super-newbies to FD) I've seen go OTJ after just a couple days of staying in solid greens & low blues. It's pretty amazing when it works that way. I think most who have been on insulin for a while don't get that level of response that fast, but ya' never know when you'll get a good surprise! :mrgreen:

Actually his duration is looking pretty good to me though these past couple days, just #s too high overall. Have you thought about trying 2u again for a few cycles as a next step? My guess would be he will get better mid-cycle #s on a slightly higher dose, but then some of the zoom may come back as his liver protests, which may end up pushing you closer to TID, or as-needed shooting depending on his #s. TID never worked well for Bix (or rather for me, I should say ;-) ), but sometimes I had success shooting a little on the early side, like +10-ish. Hard to do that on a regular schedule though.

p.s. Michelle, it looks like I missed Pru's OTJ party when my computer was down. That is super-awesome, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

6. Michelle & Prudence

I agree with Joanna about trying to catch at +10ish if you can, but keep in mind that whatever dose you're at... may need to be decreased if numbers start hitting the greens. Looking at SS today, things look pretty good... looks like you'll see some blues by +7 or +8.

Joanna - You didn't miss anything. I didn't post Pru's OTJ... I left in under the radar. I was too afraid that she was going to slip into the dance since we went kind of OTJ a few weeks earlier. Thank you for the congrats! I think she's pretty much healed by now. I just need to figure out how to feed my other babies. ohmygod_smile

<<<<<<HUGS to Tinkles & Bix>>>>>>>>>>>>

7. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Michelle, I will let you know if I decide to go TID, and I very much appreciate your encouragement! I was pretty frustrated when I got a fur shot last night, and then a high +2 reading. :YMSIGH: But I'm back to feeling better since his AMPS # was pretty good!

Joanna, I do think I'm going to have to either go with an increase in dose (2.0u), or a shorter cycle (shooting +10 or TID or TR). I like that his PS #s are improved, but he isn't getting low enough at the nadir yet. But he does seem to zoom if he drops a little too fast, so Ive been trying to go slow on increases. One thing that is making me sit tight is that I am waiting for u100 syringes from Hocks...they should be arriving on Monday. Right now, I am eyeballing the dose on u40 syringes, and while that works ok on the 1.75u dose, better accuracy becomes really important if I'm shooting smaller, more frequent doses. I think the shorter needles may help with the fur shots too! :mrgreen:

I am sort of leaning toward attempting the TR again, mainly because it works for my schedule. I'm going to spend some time over the next couple of days getting myself better educated on it. Any input is welcome and very much appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.