Methyl-B12 for Feline Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pam, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pam

Pam New Member

Where can I get Methyl-B12 in a form that is easy to give my Diabetic cat 3 to 5 mg. a day?
    Sources I see by research are geared for human comsumption and are adulterated with flavoring and other suppliments.
    Thanks, Pam and Lightnin'

2. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

I bought my bottle at a health food store. It is made by Natural Factors. It does havea few 'non-medicinal ingredients', but they do not seem to have caused any problems. I think that someone did find a source on line. Hopefully links will be provided for you shortly.

3. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

5. Ilkka and Tom

Ilkka and Tom Member

I've been using NSI (Nutraceutical Sciences Institute) Methylcobalamin, 5 mc / 5,000 mcg w Tom, which I ordered from Vitacost originally, Amazon the last time. I also give it to my dog. It is a widely available capsule which I disguise in a pillow made of two pill pockets. It is not formulated for felines specifically, but it has no goofy flavorings.

6. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

I used the methyl B12 from Life Link....tiny little pill that crushed up nice and mixed in with the food. Houdini never noticed the cherry flavor........

7. kay&junior

kay&junior Member

Junior is using Life Link Zobaline, made for Felines with neuropathy, he takes 3mg in the AM, and 3mgh in the evening, they crumble easily inot his wet food, and he doesn't even notice, and we are seeing an improvement in his mobility of his hind legs, we are very happy with the results, and are ordering more!!!!
    k. & Junior

Sasha Lynn and dana moore like this.
  8. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

My cat has very noticeable hing leg neuropathy, she is newly diagnosed, and that is what brought us to the vet in the first place. It came on very suddenly. They mentioned using the methyl b12 stuff, and that it could help her legs, but they wont give it to me (or teach me how to give it or whatever) until she is more stable. She has been on insulin over a month now, but they changed her dose. Do you think I should wait? Do you need a vets approval to use it? How do you know the dose?

9. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Although I wouldn't want you going behind your vet's back, no, you don't need approval to give it. Methylcobalamin, or Methyl B12, is available in many health food stores, and in some pharmacies, or it can be ordered online from several reputable sites. (Xobaline is one well-tested brand name in the sugarcat world. Zobaline is the new cat-specific version of Xobaline, made without fructose or any other sugar-based flavors.)

Important note: No matter which brand of Methyl B12 you buy, please make absolutely sure that it does not contain Xylitol (an artificial sweetener), which can be toxic to cats and dogs.

The pills are small and water soluble. They can be given in whole pill form, crushed and mixed into food, or crushed and dissolved in a small bit of warm water and then stirred into food. The recommended dosage is between 3 and 5mg (3000 - 5000 mcg) per day, regardless of body size. Any excess is excreted in the urine, so there are no worries about overdosing.

I wouldn't wait. Start now. And good luck!

10. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

Thanks for the info.
    I will check around town and see if I can find any.

11. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

I looked today at the pharmacy for some, but they only had pills of normal b12 and the injectible stuff didnt say methyl. i assume it is different?
    what exactly does it say/look like?
    Anyone in Ottawa know where to buy it?

12. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

Are any of the following ingrediants dangerous to cats?
    Lactose
    Microcrystalline cellulose
    Croscarmelose sodium
    Vegetable grade magnesium stearate (lubricant).

Javier and Leo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.