? Megacolon diagnosis today - any advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by thebigfuzz, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Hi!

Cosmo was at the vet today with a bout of severe constipation and was finally diagnosed with Megacolon. Xrays done.

We went to his former vet after being disappointed in the one we had been seeing (who wasnt connecting the dots or on the same page as us). Cosmo actually had a constipation episode right before his diabetes diagnosis (blood work and urine was done, but no xray at the time).

He also has bad arthritis in his hips, back and knee, neuropathy and diabetes, of course.

TX today was an enema at the vet.
    Home care will be subq fluids, psyllium Fibre, B vitamins, fish oil and a new medication to be dispensed next week (that I can't remember the name of).

I don't know much about megacolon and how it's treated and impacts his other conditions. I think a few kitties here also have megacolon?

Any insights or advice?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. thebigfuzz

Also, should there be a period of time between subq and insulin? I assume, the fluids might make it take longer to absorb the insulin since it's going to the same place?

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Don’t give the subQ fluids in the same place as the insulin
    Most people seem to put the subQ fluids in the scruff area
    Try another place for the insulin. 40C57FB1-CD41-488A-B916-D627B41D0DB6.jpeg

thebigfuzz likes this.
  4. thebigfuzz

Thanks! We went for the flank today for Cosmos insulin. I assume we should still wait a few hrs to give subq? We are giving 100ccs.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I had to give Max fluids his last few months. I gave him insulin in the flank and fluids without time in between. Sorry about the added conditions but at least you know and he will get the right treatment.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Poor baby I'm sorry. Is he going to get lactulose? For the arthritis ask for adequan.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.