? medication_8/16/2020_Bodie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sadye claxton, Aug 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

Has anyone had any experience with their diabetic cat taking the medication "Telmisartan"? And if so, did you notice an increase in his/her blood sugar readings? Bodie is on .5ml once daily for Proteinuria. We have not changed anything in his routine, diet, etc and his sugars have been abnormally high for him recently. We were doing great in the 100's (sometimes high 100's but rarely into the 200's) and he's gotten up into the 300's now. I have been on the web trying to find any other cats with diabetes on this med who have this problem; no results coming up...thoughts?

ALSO- we have upped his dose to 1 unit now since he's been high. I'm assuming we should just stay steady with the 1 unit for now too, yes?

THANK YOU

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I tried using Semintra (telmisartan) briefly with Rover and a civvie. Neither of them could tolerate it due to stomach upset.

If I remember correctly, it did taste sweet and his numbers went up. Sorry I can't be of more help. It's been a number of years.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

thank you Red and Rover! I am going to try and get in touch with the pharmacy tomorrow to see what they compounded it with...

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Is the proteinuria due to his kidneys

5. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

Diane, yes due to his kidneys...although she said most of his other kidney values look almost normal now, she said the uncontrolled diabetes for so long could have "created holes in his kidneys" allowing protein to spill. I am also supposed to start the phosphorus binder for him because his phosphorus value was a 5

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

7. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

thank you for the info! My drug came compounded from a compounding pharmacy, "wedgewood" pharmacy suspended in 60 ml fish oil and says "contains almond oil" ( which I already confirmed with my vet was okay for him)...SO I believe it's got other things in it than the link you sent

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

One of my cats has kidney disease , not my diabetic
    The reference range for phosphorus is 2.6-7.6
    I have never heard that uncontrolled diabetes for so long could cause that
    I do use a phosphate binder aluminum hydroxide powder mixed in every meal

You should ask your vet how high the phosphorus level in the Purina DM I see you also feed.
    With diabetes and high phosphorus levels you need to find a food that is still low enough in carbs and low enough in phosphorus to control both

I think their are a few members here that have both cats with kidney disease and diabetes
    You should also get a copy of the blood work so you can see the other kidney values that she said look almost normal

Ask on here first if any members are treating both issues and what they are feeding
    Start a new thread and link this thread to it

Can I ask you why you have not been testing after the AM and PM tests for awhile

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Percentage of phosphorus on dry matter basis
    This recipe has a Phosphorus content of 2.45% on a dry matter basis.

Are you feeding the can below , if so it looks like the phosphorus level is too high

By on Aug 20, 2019 Report

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Diabetic nephropathy

First time I've heard of this specific condition, although I did learn some moons ago that, as a general principle, poorly-regulated diabetes causes damage to the internal organs.

Mogs

12. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ju
    just as it does in humans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.