Marky's first insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue Maus and Marky, Sep 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue Maus and Marky

Sue Maus and Marky Member

This is reposted from the group. I'm too tired and stressed, not just with getting him started today, to retype everything.

Well, Marky had his tech visit today. Sorry, but I think this is going to be long, even for me. I learned how to give him his insulin. Over all, I'm not sure how happy I am with the whole experience today. I am hoping how things went with the tech are not what I can expect next week at the follow-up with the doctor. One thing I can tell you. I will not have my husband there to hold me back. I think maybe hearing the phrase "Facebook group" is why things went as they did. I explained it was the owner of a rescue that suggested the group. One of the volunteers that until 2 weeks ago lived very close to me and to this vet suggested this vet. She gives them a LOT of business, as she has over 20 cats of her own. As wordy as I am, I cannot put into words just how dedicated to a cat's care the owner of the rescue and every single one of her volunteers are. None would have EVER sent me here if they thought for a nanosecond ANY of you would EVER tell me anything that could be detrimental to my cat's well-being. Their endorsement and suggestion to join here were all I needed to have faith in this group.
    I explained everything to the tech. I said how Marky hated the Science Hill wet food, and then how I found out it was 25% carbs. The Sheba pates are actually MUCH better for him. Low carb is good. My thinking is that NO carbs, as in my cat's not eating, would not be a good thing at all. I said I found out the dry is also very high in carbs. He gets maybe 1/4 cup a day, spread out as I move him into an exclusively wet food diet.
    I took the Relion Prime meter with me and the supplies. The tech gave me the speech about how the numbers would be different, and then said we'd see how the 2 compare. The pet meter read 319, which is a slight improvement over 2 weeks ago. The Relion read 317. From what I read here, I'm surprised the numbers were that close. Maybe the stress of being poked twice for readings actually jumped his numbers a bit and that's why? She didn't know how to use the Relion Prime and inserted the strip wrong. Am I really the first person that ever brought their own meter to an appointment? Also, she took the sample completely different than how I was instructed here. She did not try to rub or warm the ear first at all, and poked without a device just using the lancet itself. She said, "We don't do lancing devices on pets." OK, whatever works, but it was HOW she said it. I didn't fault here...I just asked. Isn't that how I learn?
    As for the questions I had about getting BG readings and the food, she wrote everything down, then said she'd show the notes to the doctor. She came back and said if I wanted the questions answered I'd have to make an appointment with the doctor. Well, I GUESS that's OK since we have to do a follow-up anyway. I've had doctors for myself that thought the initials after their name thought they knew EVERYTHING while I knew nothing. They don't want to play that game with me. Just. Try. Me.
    Marky has lost 1.2 pounds in 2 weeks, and it looks like his hair is coming back after using the cyclosporine for the skin condition for a week now. He's still a hefty boy at 17.4 pounds, but I think the loss is a bit fast. I told my husband we need to increase the WET and do NOT increase the dry. Marky needs to lose more weight, but I know too fast is too hard on them.
    Now for what really shocked me. I knew we'd be doing Vetsulin. I know that isn't the preferred formula here, but after researching all the brands I found it's the only one I can manage with my budget at this time. They started him on 2 units twice a day! I think that's really high. He's been OK, though. I haven't done another reading but will be sure to do it before his evening shot.

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

The tech sounds condescending. I also find it hilarious the ReliOn was basically spot-on in that exact moment. There's nothing wrong with using a lancing device, whatever way gets the prick is just fine. Some people freehand, some use the device. Wow.

If you are decreasing the dry make sure you're monitoring closely, it lowers the BG by quite a bit. And 2 units is WAY too much. When did he start on Vetsulin? With dry food involved, 1 unit is the max I'd recommend - if you cold-turkey him to wet before starting insulin, 0.5u. It makes a difference.

The Sheba pates are good but they're very low in calories, so if he's losing weight I'd try to get him on something with more calories in it. Hopefully someone here can remember the rate at which it's safe to decrease weight, something like 1% a week or something to that affect?

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sadly I'm NOT surprised. We have been POO POO'd by the best!:p

Thats amazing about the meters. Actually something could be wrong with her meter.

2units IS too high I just HOPE they are willing to work WITH you. Once you get your spread sheet up and running you can show the "vet" his progress from advice from these internet wackos. LOL

Sounds like you are the purrrfect advocate for Marky.

KUDOS for not letting that elusive vet bully you! :cool:

I think you and Marky are going to do JUST FINE! :D
    jeanne

Yong & Maury GA, Sharon14 and Panic like this.
  4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I had a somewhat similar experience with a tech that couldn’t get the test on the first try and honestly didn’t look like she was an expert at testing at all. They don’t bother to warm up the ear, but most cats will sit still for it because they’re at the vet and scared. So less fight and easier to get blood out. I hate people with attitude and I’d say something to the actual vet when you go in for your appt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.