Mac's numbers really jump in just last couple of days. 255, 363, 420

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jillnc1, Jun 18, 2024.

1. jillnc1

jillnc1 Member

Previous Post: Blood Glucose levels up after 2.0 years in remission(OTJ)

When the BG numbers jump so fast does that indicate that it is more likely an infection or can the pancreas just stop producing insulin that fast. I am having a urinalysis completed today and my vet gets back tomorrow and I have been emailing her the updates in the last 24 hours. He is now having more symptoms of diabetes with increased urination and lethargy.

Has anyone heard of gabapentin having an impact on BG numbers?

I am assuming/hoping she will start him on insulin before we find root cause to get the BG down now that it is in the 400's. Is this what you all find to be best? Getting dentals will take a few days to get scheduled and done and I assume that would not have it come down right away.

Thanks for your help! Getting all my tools together to get back into the groove again :-(

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Checking the urine and the teeth are good ideas to try and find out what is happening.
    Is he eating ok and seem generally well in himself?
    That is certainly a big jump in numbers on 17 and 18th.
    Could he have got into any food?
    Has the vet checked his lungs again.?
    It does look as if you will need to start insulin again.

3. jillnc1

jillnc1 Member

Thanks for .your reply! We have no snacks for him to get into :) He was eating fine until he hit the 300 and 400's. i gave him an appetite stimulant last night to help keep his eating up. Seems to be helping this morning.
    His was 413 this morning so at least it didn't keep going up. i was afraid it would jump into 500's!
    He was just at the vet for his annual exam 2 weeks ago and his lungs were rumbly and she asked me to watching for coughing etc as she did think he had the beginnings of asthma.
    Waiting for response from Vet on urinalysis and next steps. hoping to pick up insulin later today. Now brushing up on my SLGS skills. I was lucky last time only having to give insulin for 2 weeks (even that was a ride though!). i have a feeling it will be a bit longer this time.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. jillnc1

jillnc1 Member

Heard back from Vet. No UTI, but as expected sugar in the urine. She is suggesting to wait a couple of weeks on the dental to see if we can get the BG regulated a bit.

She is calling in Glargine and recommended starting with the 1 U. Mac is on a raw no carb diet. I see in the SLGS notes that it suggest .5 to start if that is the case. Your thoughts?

Could you remind me of the protocol for now using this forum for tracking Mac's numbers daily. Do I go over to the Lantus forum for that?

I was going to give him a shot tonight or would it be better just to start with first shot tomorrow morning.

Thanks and the ride begins!
    Jill

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sorry to see you back. Any chance you would want to give TR a try? Then you could start with 1 unit. How much does he weigh?

6. jillnc1

jillnc1 Member

he weighs 13 lbs currently. TR makes me nervous and visions of lots of scary rides but I would be open to starting with 1 U and see what happens. that is what I did last time. But he is on Raw Lotus Venision which I am having to handfeed starting today because his appetite is super low. I have started the Cyproheptadine for that.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You asked where to post. Start a condo on the Lantus forum and link this post to it for continuity

8. jillnc1

jillnc1 Member

Just did that! Thanks!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.