LunaMae - Honeymoon?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by MissLuna, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissLuna

MissLuna Member

Hello All,

I hope to have your advice. Our kitty, Luna (called LunaMae when giving extra kisses) had a bad bout with a kidney infection - she was on antibiotics/medication, which just finished, and for a while there it was touch and go; I was feeding her by hand, testing, giving injections with Lantus; her numbers were all over, and she tanked a few times (she was down to 35 once! Four days ago after giving her 0.1 she went down to 58!) We have been using a pet meter, the AlphaTrak, which was given to us by a work-friend. Before I found this group we invested in some strips, and while I understand that most here test with a human meter, I've used this meter, and at this point don't want to spend more money on another meter which we may not need. The advice on the Lantus stickies on dose reduction use human meter numbers, so I am out of my depth.

Luna is acting 100% better. Her numbers are way down. Her doctor said that cat numbers for blood glucose should be between 72 and 175. The depot was giving me a rough time - that and along with her numbers going down, the last time I ended up giving her 0.1, her numbers went from 151 to 58 at +2 (she had eaten.) I skipped a few doses, and her numbers look really good, I think, using the pet meter.

The highest she was yesterday was 135, but otherwise she was 106/106/113. This morning she was 117 +2 after having food.

I would appreciate hearing if you also believe that her numbers look good. I don't think that I should give her insulin, unless it is a "drop" - but with your experiences with Honeymoons would be appreciated. Maybe she is more likely to go into a long term remission with that drop. I am afraid of sending her into hypo. A week ago her doctor wanted to keep her on .25 a.m. and p.m., but that is not a good idea. He is fantastic, but I wanted to take a more conservative approach, as she is doing so much better. I don't want to be a bad cat parent. Advice welcome!

2. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I looked at LunaMaeā€™s spreadsheet and I also use the AlphaTrak and in looking at her numbers I would say NO she does not need insulin every time you give it she drops awfully low even a drop! Keep in mind I bought a human meter and tested the same blood drop on both the AlphaTrak and the FreeStyle lite - I musta hit the vein in the ear cuz it was A big drop and each time the human meter was 30 pts LOWER than the AlphaTrak so I think Luna is good! Really good OTJ !!! :)

Congratulations!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.