Low Carb Wet Food Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Soupey's Mom, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soupey's Mom

Soupey's Mom Member

Hi All,

Since you all know how finicky cats can be about food, I was hoping that you could share what low carb (and not full of crappy ingredients) canned food that you've had good luck with your cats really liking? Soupey is currently on the wet DM and from you've told me that's not necessary and the ingredients aren't great. You guys have been so welcoming and so helpful and I thank you in advance for any personal recommendations you might have regarding this :)

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There are many low carb options you can purchase in either the supermarket or specialty pet food store. The food list at catinfo is a couple years old, but has many of the options on there. Look for something under 10% carbs. Some of the manufacturers are getting better and posting their As Fed carb% on their website - Weruva being one example. I fed raw food, I rotated four proteins, one per day, so avoid the furkids becoming tired of any given flavour.

DM is absolutely not required, many cats tire of the liver. What did Soupey eat before diagnosis? Just wondering if he had a favourite flavour so we can suggest something similar.

3. Soupey's Mom

Soupey's Mom Member

Thanks for your response. There's just so many options out there and I guess I just wanted to see what foods have worked for others. I know all cats are different but I'm just looking for a starting point I suppose.
    Before Soupey was diagnosed, he ate dry kibble- Taste of the Wild in the roasted venison and smoked salmon flavor. I've just still not been able to get him to eat a full can in a day yet and since he needs to gain some weight back, I'm thinking I might need to start looking for other options to mix in.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

OK, what he used to eat is primarily chicken, with some salmon and venison. Nature's Variety has chicken, venison, and salmon options. You don't want to feed salmon too often, but I have fed the other two, as well as their rabbit and duck. I mention Nature's Variety first because low carb venison is harder to find. Ziwipeak, while more expensive, has a really good quality low carb venison product. Weruva has a lot of low carb options, a lot with chicken and some with fish. The Weruva is not a pate, so if he likes shreds or pieces of meat, that might work for him. Sometimes a change in texture works, sometimes not! A number of people here have fed Weruva.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Once I git Trouble on Fancy feast pates his numbers were lower overall. To this day without a diabetic kitty in the house that is what I feed. I'm trying to transfer Zoe over to lower phos foods. Weruva has MANY choices that are just that. Also Merrick.
    But for a diabetic Fancy Feast pates are readily available almost everywhere. That is why I went with FF, availability.

6. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

I'm also new and have gotten a lot of great suggestion from people on here. I feed different brands and types all of the time right now to get a feel of her favorites. I try and stay under 10 carbs. On the more affordable end she is loving Fancy Feast Naturals. Mainly the Alaskan salmon and the tuna and trout flavors. On the higher end brands she is loving TikiCAt, Against the Grain, Merrick and Farmina brands. And she loves the fish flavors mostly which surprised me. She has not been as excited about the pate style foods which is inconvenient because they tend to have the lowest carb count. But her new favorite thing in the whole wide world is the whole fish filet treats. Fancy Feast makes them along with Reveal and Inaba brands. She actually gets excited for BG testing now because of these treats. Good luck to you and Soupey :)

7. Soupey's Mom

Soupey's Mom Member

Thanks for the suggestions Wendy. This gives me a good place to start:)

8. Soupey's Mom

Soupey's Mom Member

Thanks JT :)

9. Soupey's Mom

Soupey's Mom Member

Thanks Jenifer, I'll look into these options too. I'm glad to hear you've found some food and treats that makes KittenCat happy :)

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I feed Tyler Fancy Feast Classic Pates
    Wow what great numbers Soupy has without giving any insulin :cat:

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Same here!

12. Soupey's Mom

Soupey's Mom Member

Thanks for the recommendation. And yes! It seems like switching him to the canned DM food has made a huge difference:) I'm taking him in for a follow up next week and will be getting my vets thoughts. I just tested him again before dinner and it was 67.

13. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Well if Soupy is diabetic he sure is trying NOT to be! I would have killed for these kinds of numbers this early into Troubles journey!
    THANKS for getting that spreadsheet up so quickly. You and Soupey ROCK!

Soupey's Mom likes this.
  14. Soupey's Mom

Soupey's Mom Member

Thanks JT! I’m very grateful for these numbers but also still a little nervous, just hoping that they’re correct. The other meter was reading a good bit higher than the ReliOn that I’m now using. His numbers pre breakfast were still good at 88 though, so provided they’re accurate, this food has made all the difference with Soupey. I put a call in to our vet yesterday asking for his labs to be emailed to me and to ask about a fructosamine test for his follow up appointment this upcoming week. I also asked if I could bring my meter and strips up for them to compare their results with when they draw some blood. Hoping to get a call back on Monday.

15. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I use Purina Pro Plan True Nature Grain Free and Howie likes it. I think it’s only 1-2% carbs. You can find it in some stores so you don’t just have to order it online and is not incredibly expensive. It comes in 3oz cans and 5.5 oz cans. I bounce between chicken/turkey and chicken/liver. They do have fish options but I’ve read really varying opinions on feeding fish so I’ve opted to stay away from it. As I’m sure you’ve read, if you find a food they’ll eat, stick to it!

16. Soupey's Mom

Soupey's Mom Member

Thanks for the recommendation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.