Libre sensor

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Sharon B, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Sharon B

Sharon B New Member

My cat Big Boy refuses to let the Vet do a glucose curve at the office anymore. She suggested I use the Libre sensor which I'm an currently using for the second time. This is a sensor she attaches to his side. I use the app on my phone and scan the senor to read his BG. I often wonder if it is accurate for a cat. I want to know if anyone else is using this and what the thoughts are about it.

2. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

I have used it several times but after three days it is off. My vet advised that because of the way the unit works it is a reliable reading for a cat even though a human blood glucose lancet prick monitor will read too low.

Wonder how you stop your cat from scratching it off?

3. Sharon B

Sharon B New Member

He doesn't try to scratch it off. I think it's too high on his shoulder to do that. But he has tried to bit it off. He has long hair so it does go over top of it. He pulls his hair out to get to it. But so far he has not pulled it off. I think maybe the vet puts a little glue on it.

4. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

My vet shaved the hair and glued it on. The needle is very short. Hope it has gone into the skin. R you getting readings? Any chance of a photograph please to see where it is exactly?

5. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

20190411_084019.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Sharon B

Sharon B New Member

View attachment 55542

7. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

Hi Sharon B - there seems to be an error message when I open the photo and therefore can't see it. Can you re:post please?

8. Pamiam

Pamiam New Member

My cat had terrible experiences at the vet's getting curves, found a vet who implanted the Free Libre monitor and it was fantastic. Only lasts 10-14 days but being able to check her glucose anytime I wanted was fantastic. The vet shaved an area behind an ear and that was it, didn't bother Maggi at all. I purchased a separate monitor and didn't use the phone app.

9. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

I would be very interested in seeing a picture of where the sensor was fixed. Did she try to scratch it off?

10. Pamiam

Pamiam New Member

Maggi has been in remission for a year and I'm back on forum since she has me worried that she may be having problems again. Vet appt tomorrow afternoon. All that to explain that she isn't wearing a monitor now so no picture. Vet shaved an area behind her left ear, put in the monitor and Maggi didn't seem to even know it was there. Vet prescribed the monitor, I got it at Costco pharmacy, vet charged $40 to put it on and it was so wonderful to scan her and immediately know her numbers. I will refuse to have curves done at the vets, way too traumatic for Maggi and the stress of it skews the numbers anyway AND it costs so much more than the Free Libre. Vet in Oregon also switched her from Vetsulin to Lantus so Maggi was only on Vetsulin a few months when we were in CA. I jumped in here because I was excited to see a Free Libre discussion.

LaurieK likes this.