Lantus Pens

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cjtalbot, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjtalbot

cjtalbot New Member

Has anyone here used the lantus pens for dosing their cats? I'm curious since I'm following instructions on the pens - change the dial to the units (2 for my cat), insert the pen needle, press the button & hold for 10 seconds. However, after pulling out the needle, I get 2-3 drops of insulin out of the needle... Does this mean the needle isn't working & I'm not really giving my cat anything? Or is this normal to see some drops afterwards? I know the pens hold 3 mls & each ml has about 100 units in it, so what I should be giving my cat is barely a couple of drops...

Thanks!

2. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

I have not used the pens, but my understanding is that you are supposed to use a syringe to draw the insulin out of the pen, essentially treating the pen as if it were a cartridge/vial, thus enabling you to use it for the full 28 days (or however long it remains effective). There were instructions/photos posted on the old message board somewhere, but I haven't a clue how to access them.

I hope someone more familiar with them comes along to give you more useful information.

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Lantus instructions

It's best to use a U100 insulin syringe to give your cat insulin. The pen injection function is not suitable for dosing in small amounts. Yes they leak and are inaccurate. For a human injecting 20U at a time a few drops (or half or a whole unit) to much or to little is not so signifcant, but for a cat needing 2U getting 1.5U or 2.5U is a big deal. Using the syringes with the pen is easier and much more precise.

4. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

pop the cap on the pen and you'll see a little grey circle. poke an insulin syringe into it to withdraw insulin (don't shake the pen or inject air into it).
    don't bother with the pen needles. you can buy U100 syringes with half-unit markings at many walmarts or at hocks.com. those of us who like smaller thinner needles get the 31 gauge, 5/16", U100 syringes with half unit markings. i think the GNP brand is around $16 at hocks and the relion brand is around $13 at walmart.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

There are two problems with using the pen (with pen needles) for actual dosing. The first is that the pen only doses in 1-unit increments. Most be here dose in smaller increments. The second is that the manufacture recommends that in-use pens not be refrigerated. Not refrigerating the pen will shorten the useful life if the insulin. I think the manufacturer does not want the in-use pens refrigerated is because the repeated temperature changes may cause leakage of insulin out of the pen, or worse introduction of a little air into the pen. Air in the pen make the dial dosing inaccurate since the air compresses. The air may also shorter the useful life of the insulin.

6. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

I wouldnt use the pen needles I would use your regular insulin syringe and draw the dose from the cartridge in the pen as illustrated below. If you are finding drops then the dose isnt correct by a long shot. One drop can make a huge difference.

[​IMG]

7. cjtalbot

cjtalbot New Member

The only syringes I could find with 1/2 unit marks were 31 gauge, 5/16" U30 syringes -- they don't have any with U100. Just wanted to make sure I got the right kind.

Thanks!

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Those are the ones you want. They are are U100. U100 is the strength of the insulin (100 units per ml). All human insulin is U100.

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Those are U100 :) Only U100 insulin syringes are available with half unit markings.

"U100" refers to the insulin strength. In this case, 100 units per ml.

Only use U100 insulin syringes with U100 insulin.

Here is a thread on the old board with suggestions for various brands of U100 half unit marked insulin syringes ---> http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 22,1959486

10. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, you want those. They hold up to 30 units of U-100 insulin. Somewhere on the syringe itself
    or the box of syringes it should say 'for U-100 insulin'.

It should also say 3/10cc capacity, or 3/10ml capacity, or "30 units".

30u is NOT the same as U30. 30u means '30 units' ---the dose of insulin.
    U30 means U30 insulin (30 units per ml of liquid)....but there is no such thing as U30 insulin.
    Only U40, U50, and U100....All human insulins are U100 (100 units of insulin per ml of liquid).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.