Lantus kept in fridge

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by static, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. static

static Member

Hi,
    I'm new here. My baby has been on Lantus for about 10 months. He started at 2 units and is now only on 1. I saw a discussion on here recently about how long to keep Lantus and wanted to double check, as there is a lot of conflicting info. It says on the package "discard after 28 days." The expiration date is about a year away. My vet said over 28 days is fine but to replace it after a couple of months. It costs close to $100 so if it is still effective for longer I would love to know as it will save me money. I have not been home testing yet but would like to start doing so (need to request my kit), so other than that I'm wondering if I can just keep an eye on things like the frequency of his urination and his moods to see if the insulin is still good, but I certainly don't want to use it for longer than I should.
    Thanks,
    Sabrina
    confused_cat

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

from what i've seen here, some people get up to 6 months out of it if i remember correctly. the 28 days is definitely disposing early that's for sure.

btw, i'm the one that sends out the starter hometesting kits. was that what you were gonna request? if so, just send me a PM with your address and i'll get one out to you.

to the bottom of my post here you should see "profile" "pm" and "quote" buttons. hit "pm" and that will take you to a little window where you can send me your address. (PM stands for private message, aka: the board's email setup sorta)

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Some people have had a vial last for a little over a month and others for six months or more. Most people use it until:
    1. It no longer seems to be working (e.g., BG do not drop as expected). However, sometimes things cange in a cat such as infection that suggest that the insul is not working when it really is working as expected. I personally know this since I have four cats on Lantus and sometimes It seems it is not working for one cat but is working fine for the the other three.

2. If the insulin in the vila turns cloudy or there are floaters or particles in the insulin.

4. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

The most certain way to determine if your insulin is still good is to track performance by home testing. It's great that you plan to start!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.