Lantus Dosing based on Cat weight

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Randi & Max (GA), Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

I know ECID as well as starting at 1.u, however I know I read somewhere that Lantus dose is normally determined based on a cats "ideal weight"

I cannot recall if it was .25/kg?lb? or .5/kg?/lb?
    I think the "old" rules were based on .5 and have been reduced?

If someone knows what I am talking about or has that link, can you post for me please.

I ask because Max is a large cat, 18.5lbs and is on 5.5u Lantus, BID - started from 1u
    but I am curious as to what the rate should be between unit/measure of weight.
    Max's ideal weight is 15-16lbs.

2. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Is that what you mean?

Based on Max's ideal weight of 7kgx.25U= 1.75U BID

3. Dale

Dale Member

4. Randi & Max (GA)

Yes that was it. Thanks for finding it for me.

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi randi. the formula for an initial starting dose of lantus or levemir based on weight for a newly diagnosed cat is 0.25u per kg of IDEAL weight.
    here's the link: http://www.tillydiabetes.net/en_6_protocol2.htm

online pounds to kg conversion calculator: http://www.manuelsweb.com/kg_lbs.htm

an IDEAL weight of 18.5 pounds = 8.4kg
    8.4kg x 0.25u = 2.1u

an IDEAL weight of 15 pounds = 6.8kg
    6.8 x 0.25u = 1.7u

an ideal weight of 16 pounds = 7.3kg
    7.3kg x 0.25u = 1.8u

these are the initial starting doses based on weight which are suggested for a newly diagnosed kitty with lantus or levemir when following a Tight Regulation Protocol (link in my signature) for the weights you've mentioned.

hope this helps...

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Thanks Jill. That is what I was looking for. When he was put onto Lantus the suggested dose was 2.u which makes sense based on your numbers but I insisted that he start at 1, which he did.
    I guess what I am trying to understand that just based on Max's size it is not unreasonable to be on a higher dose than many other cats on the board. a 10 pound cat, should react to insulin dose differently then an 18.4lb cat. I would like to do a review (although not scientific just to ease some curiousity) of insulin dose/cat weight. Vet #3 that I met today said he based on my ss, he could be at 6.5.

What do you think about where my train of thought is going?

7. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Unscientifically speaking, we've seen little cats on big doses and big cats on little doses...perhaps for lantus you could do a survey of that particular group?

8. Randi & Max (GA)

I just might look into that. But yes, as you said Jen, ECID, and that is the true Nature of Feline Diabetes. It could be intersting, or total waste of my time, since there are way too many unknown variables that could not be factored out in a simple survey and have any possible conclusions have any concrete meaning.

9. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

yup. so this is why one sized doesn't fit all, but caution is recommended.....but not too much caution.

clear?

:lol:

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

yes, i see where your thought is going, but when kitties start get up into that 5u - 6u range we usually start looking for other possible causes for high numbers such as high dose conditions (acromegaly, IAAs), dental problems, or other underlying conditions which could cause a lack of consistent response.

as far as the correlation between size and dose... we've seen big kitties on tiny doses and small kitties on large doses and everything in-between.
    ECID reigns! :D

dose... it's very possible max's dose may reach 6.5u or more (as your vet mentioned). there's no way to tell til we get there... if we get there. kwim?
    you're on cycle 5 at this dose. a nadir check tonight combined with the other data you've accumulated will help determine if another increase is warranted... if you want to be more aggressive. you have seen 100s on this dose already. generally speaking, the dose is held for 10 cycles if you're seeing 100s at nadir. however, depending on your availability to monitor and how aggressive you want to be... you may choose to up the dose by 0.25u... after holding the current dose for at least 6 cycles. the "rules" are only suggested guidelines.
    talk to your vet and see what he/she thinks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.