? Lab work some questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty & Teal'c, Jul 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

Got Teal'c back from the vet with his lab work. There are some I don't know where they go on the SS. The abbreviations aren't exactly the same they are ALB, ALP, N+ and K+. Then at the bottom there is some stuff unsure what it is. The tests are called VetScan VS2 Comprehensive Diagnostic and VetScan VS2 Thyroxine(T4)/Cholesterol test.

They kept him all day and did a frutosimine as well. Didnt ask for it, the cost for all was 183.50 so not too bad. Vet was gone by the time I was able to pick him up so am suppose to call tomorrow between 8 and noon to talk to vet.

The acceptable ranges are slightly different between the report and what's on the lab tab making it a bit more difficult. Some of them I was able to figure it out based on the ranges.

Any help appreciated. Thank you

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Each laboratory/machine manufacturer has their own "normal" ranges and that is why the normal ranges on the VetScan machine is different from the normals on the LAB tab of the SS.
    The abbreviation for potassium is K or K+
    The abbreviation for sodium is Na or N+
    ALB is albumin
    ALP is alkaline phosphatase

Can you post that "stufe" i

4. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

The stuff at the bottom says:
    QC OK
    HEM 0 LIP 1+
    ICT 0

5. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

Looking at what they gave me everything but BUN and GLU were in range. Vet wants to keep an eye on the BUN and retest in 3 months. Does this sound right?

6. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

I was also worried he had lost weight but he has gained over a pound. He is just over 14lbs now.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

QC is just Quality control
    HEM is hemolysis, the rupture or destruction of red blood cells. If there is a lot of ruptures then the value of some parameters can be affected.
    LIP is a measure of the amount of fat in the blood. If it is high then the value of some parameters can be affected.
    ICT, as far as I know it is Indirect Coombs Test and that test checks your blood for antibodies that attack red blood cells

9. Johann_marcel

Johann_marcel Member

ICT is for icterus, which may influence some blood levels if observed.

10. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

Thank you all for explaining what i was looking at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.