Just general stuff

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah and Buzz, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I feel like the last couple of days have gotten away from me somehow, and although I have certainly been posting, it seems like I haven't asked everyone how they are doing. So....how is everyone doing? ;)

I hope things are humming along perfectly for everyone, and if not perfectly, then at least close to. It is "warming up" here. I say that in quotes because on Cassie's walk today, I thought, Wow, it's sort of nice out! and it was 29 degrees. Just like Ele said the other day, who would think that our standard for nice weather could plummet so much along with the temps? I didn't even wear my scarf out today! ;)

Cassie goes back to the vet tomorrow for her u/a to make sure her UTI is gone. I hope that the vet will have a few minutes to talk with me about Buzz; if not, I will make another appointment to do so. When I have done that in the past, she has not charged me for the visit, which is good. I am going to ask for the results of Buzz's UA (including the USG), and ask the vet what her thoughts are re: CRF and Buzz. Does she have it? Is it possible? Why was it not mentioned to me upon giving the results? I am also going to ask if it is usual for kidney values to change so dramatically in less than 6 months. When Buzz was dx, she had full BW done and everything (except glucose, of course) was perfect at that time.

SubQ fluids were unsuccessful. Buzz would have none of it, even with the 21ga needles. Dave got totally freaked out and said he couldn't do it, and we would have to take her to the vet if Buzz needed the fluids. I called the vet to ask if it was necessary to give the fluids or not and if so, could we come in and have them help us and see if maybe we are doing something wrong? She said it was not necessary as long as Buzz is eating normally, and yes, we could come in if needed. I feel like I have failed Buzz but I think that if we can see it done once by the vet, it might not be so hard. Truth be told, I am also not in the right frame of mind right now to really work at it without getting frustrated. I could if I had to, but since it's not necessary right now, I feel like we have a little bit of time to learn and for me to get in a better emotional place.

Buzz increases her dose tonight to 1u (she has been getting 0.5u for the past 3 days) so wish us luck and that we do not have to stay up all night with a kitty who is too low. I guess that's backwards, I should be hoping for great numbers, and I am, just not hypo #s. ;)

And that's the condensed version of what's up in my little corner of the world. Have a good Wednesday!

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah, thanks for the update! I hope everything goes well tomorrow and you get good news & explanations at the vets.

I tried fluids a few times over the years and never got the hang of it. I think there are lots of little tricks, just like BG testing, where it seems close to impossible at first, but if you learn all the tricks, then it's easy. I never knew to warm the fluids, and I think that was probably my downfall. Plus every time I'd actually get that darn needle in nicely, I'd be so shocked I didn't know what to do next, and you know cats - they'll take advantage of any moment of hesitation. :)

For a while I took one of my cats in to the vets every few days for fluids (thankfully it was only a short-term need when he was having a rough spell). They let me buy the bag & supplies and then bring that in each time, and then they only charged me a reduced amount for their labor (which takes them like 2 seconds, they are pros!), so it wasn't as painful as if I hadn't bought the fluids already.

I'm sure you'll get it though, and I know there are lots around who have done it, so hopefully they can give you more tips along the way. You may already do this, but I know I've read here a lot of people mix some water in with the wet food regularly, just to increase the amount of water they are getting.

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Sarah, one important note on the warming - that the fluids should not be more than 101 [pretty sure 101] degrees. The preferred method for measure it's temp is with a little infra-red thermometer [Radio Shack or Fry's item]. However, I'm betting you do not have one - I use a fancy instant read thermometer [for cooking] but any instant read thermometer should work. I just warp the bag around the thermometer. Some vets I seem give multiple smaller amounts to equal the whole amount so they do not chill the kitty to much. Also, I warm the fluids by wrapping the bag in a heating pad. Sometimes I overshoot but then I just let it hang and they cool off fairly quickly. When I get the temp just right it sends H into nappy time.

I found a good source for the needles and IV sets but I would have to dig it up from the old board. I get the fluids from Costco and I think using the AAA/Caremark card helps a little with the price. But Costco has their own discount program that anyone can sign up there kitty for [unless their kitty has insurance], it's just not quite as good as the AAA/Caremark discount.

Please do get a lesson from your vet tech. I even though I had read a lot before hand I still was a little clueless and would have had a higher level of anxiety had a vet tech not ran through the procedure with me from start to finish.

Anyway, you've probably heard all of this before.

As to how I do it, H has several kitty beds around here - these have become his "safe" places. One I've placed strategically on a couch [and TV so I can catch some tube while he gets fluids]. I have a nail with a 'biner and and "S" hook that the bag hangs from about 6' up. I just call H into his safe place and go at it. This runs counter to how some beans use the "room-o-torture" technique where one room or place is dedicated to the "torturous" parts of care. I've had good success making sure H is comfortable and "safe feeling" first before doing the necessary things I must do for his health. He will actually run and jump on [not under] my bed when he knows it's pill time [his least favorite of all]. He does this because he feels comfortable there - he knows he gets love there.

Once you get the knack of it, fluids are a super tool to have in the tool kit. I'm not sure I would have made it this far with H without.

Sorry to hear about your fam.

4. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the subQ's. It can be challenging at first and I understand Dave just giving up. We had a CRF kitty several years ago that we gave fluids to every other day. We didn't use an IV set, instead we used a 60ml syringe and pushed the fluids in because Ginger wouldn't sit still long enough for the IV drip. If you have to do the subQ's, try the clothes pin trick. I don't know if you remember, but that trick came from the CRF site.

I hope Cassie's u/a comes back clean and that you get more info on Buzz. I also hope that 1u helped last night. You and Buzz are my examples for the switch to Lantus, so I'm hoping you make it easy.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

A little OT, but Sarah & Ele, if you remember Michele & Molly from a while back, she might be a good resource too as far as feeling more comfortable with a switch. I can't recall which L she switched too, but she has stopped by a few times to say "hi" so I would think she would be happy to talk some about how the transition went for her. There are others who switched not that long ago too, but off the top of my head I can't think of too many names, at least of those who were around here long enough to get to know them a bit. Suzanne & Nemo could be one I think, and I think Helene & Tizon is another.

6. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Michele was one of the ones who has always posted when I've had a question in LL, prior to me switching over. I believe she is on Lantus but can't remember off the top of my head. I think the most important thing in a switch is that YOU feel as comfortable as possible. I mean, obviously the health and well-being of the kitty are of prime importance, but as the bean responsible for the decision-making and administering the meds, your comfort level comes into play in a big way too. Get as much info as you can; that should help you feel more at ease, either way you go (switching or not switching).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.