Just checking in.... Thinking about changing insulins

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!
    It's been an awful long time since I've posted anything here. I figured I'd take a page from the L&L thread and post an update just for fun. :cat:

As far as Lou goes, it's been frustrating, but also a bit of same **** different day going on. Unfortunately, the journey to regulation has still been unattainable. As you know, we've been wondering if something is keeping his numbers high and I've started contacting vets to see what their dentals run. Surprise surprise I did have one tell me she wasn't sure the vet would perform the dental if he wasn't regulated.... I had a good chuckle on that. While vets have never given any indication he needs a dental, I've noticed him sitting with his mouth slightly open, so I think it probably wouldn't hurt. He's never had one.

I've been thinking more and more the last few months that I really need to switch insulins. As you can see, Lou processes his Vetsulin weirdly, usually peaking at +7 to +9 (even a nadir at PMPS once, which was annoying, haha). I think because Vetsulin is not supposed to be metabolized so much later, he's not getting the full effect of it, which shows in him needed progressively higher doses. I'm worried about switching insulins. I've been thinking more about going to Prozinc since it's similar to Vetsulin, but I wonder if switching him to another in-and-out insulin would not do him any favors. I am even more nervous about switching him to a depot insulin both because I have no experience with it and because I have to work doubles (12-14 hour) days on occasion, and I would be late (sometimes 2-3 hours late) with his dose. Obviously you can't do that with a depot insulin....

I feel like I'm in a rough spot with the decision, but I've been worrying more and more about his sheer inability to stay out of the 300s long (we celebrate every blue BG, haha). So I am at the point where something has to change. I'm hoping eventually that I'll make a decision and/or make a change and then wonder why I didn't do it sooner, haha. I hope all's well with your extra sweet furkids!! :bighug:

Monica & Josie likes this.
  2. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hi Amanda,
    from our own experience I can only recommend you to change to Prozinc.
    I know every cat is different and your kitty might not respond the same way but ever since we swapped Josie from Caninsuin/Vetsulin to ProZinc her BG has come down significantly especially on the lower dose of 0.75u. ProZinc is definitely working for us, much more reliable and predictable whereas I remember on Vetsulin I was on the verge of losing my hair and sanity trying to make sense of all the weird readings..:banghead:

Feel free to take a look at her SS, sorry it needs updating... I know we don't test her as often as we should these days, although always do the PS ones to keep her safe.
    Josie's numbers became pretty reliable and stable with the ProZinc and she seems very content and healthy.
    ProZinc has definitely changed things for the better for us!:cat:

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda,
    I missed this post. If you have an unforgiving work schedule, ProZinc is a better option for you. You can shift a dose plus or minus an hour without having to compensate. You're familiar with Vetsulin's action and ProZinc is a kinder, gentler version of that. The depot insulins work well but need a strict 12/12 dosing regimen.

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch for your input ladies!!! I am leaning towards switching to Prozinc as well. I certainly won't completely discount the L&Ls if necessary. I know I had previously brought up the possibility of Prozinc to my vet and made it seem like it wasn't available. I'll have to bring it up again. :rolleyes:

Monica & Josie and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.