Jake's OTJ anniversary

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by drjsiems, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

I forgot to put Jake's 2 month anniversary (07/13/10) on this forum, but did on the Lantus forum. I also forgot to test him that day, but thought of it just now. Since the last time I tested him was 07/01 - over 2 weeks ago - OMG! :), I was very nervous about doing it today. We are proud to tell you Jake's BG was 66!

You were right, Ronnie, the obsession to test goes away like an old boyfriend - does that include ex-husbands too? :) Hope so!

Jake is doing well with the exception of recurrent loose stools - not too often, but once or twice a month. These little episodes don't last very long so dehydration is not a concern. Anyone have any experience with older cats and loose stools and/or diarrhea?

Thanks,
    Judy, Jake, Civvie Boomer, and soon to be added kittens to the mix! (along with four-year old Emma the beagle)

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

ha ha Judy

look it u forgetting everything u learned! :lol:

I for one am very proud of you and Jake's success.

Poop question: check to see if u happen to change food/brand at that time...i

n my own kitties (both 10) if they get a different brand (very rare, but running out of Wellness has happened and I resort to the emergency supply)
    it does seem to change their stool slightly. Softer, lighter, and oh so stinky!

Hope u stay in touch and continue to hang out on the board!

3. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Judy! Congrats! We are approaching our 3 month otj anniversary. Scrabble has been having loose stools on and off over the last month, was wondering what that was about myself? What are you feeding? I have been feeding FF since he was diagnosed but only recently have been giving them the new labeled one's. I was thinking of switching to maybe wellness. I have heard a lot of cats like it. I tried a couple of cans on my kitties and they seemed to like it. Let me know what you are experiencing, would love to know!!!

4. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Hi Michelle & Scrabble,

Jake used to get FF canned only, the lower carb and no wheat gluten varieties. I believe that the high protein really helped to facilitate his remission. Then he started having occasional bouts of loose stools with outright diarrhea once or twice so I switched him and his civvie brother to all Wellness. I also did this because of the lower phosphorus in Wellness - especially since I have read where phosphorus is even higher now with the new packaging of FF canned. As you know Jake is 18 and Boomer is 11 so kidney issues are always a concern to me. Even with the Wellness, they only get Beef & Chicken, Chicken, and Turkey which are the lowest in phosphorus unless I missing any. Jake has been happily eating Wellness for two or three months now so I don't think that is causing the loose stools with great aroma I might add! Over this weekend, the loose stools aren't so loose. So I am not sure if it is due to older age, change of weather, or what. He is not losing weight nor is he dehydrated and is acting normally. So I don't know!

Judy, Jake, & Civvie Boomer

5. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Judy, think I am going to gradually switch over to wellness. I think it is the new label can that is causing it. Scrabble is going to be 14 in the next couple of months. It is weird because he never had loose stools before. My female civvie, Sabrina who is 10 does not have any problems. I use fortiflora when he does have it and it clears it up pretty quick. Someone else on here told me about proviable paste to use to regulate them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.