...Is tenting really that easy when giving injections?!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ChloesMama, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChloesMama

ChloesMama Member

My vet didn't tell me a THING about tenting, whatever I learned I gathered from your advice and youtube videos. I pulled up some extra skin on Chloe's side (there isn't as much extra there like there is on her scruff, though, she's only 10 lbs), put the syringe into the bottom of the tent, away from where I pinched it. I don't think it went through the other side.. gave the shot.. and checked around the area for wetness and didn't see any. Did I really do it? It was so much easier than getting up the guts to poke a hole into her pale skin.

Bit of a stressful situation with the bf this morning, so my nerves were frayed and I didn't know if I could muster up the guts to poke her skin. The tenting was so easy and she barely noticed me. It's really that easy???

Got the glucometer. OneTouch Ultra Mini meters don't come with any test strips, what the heck! They were out of the boxes of 25, so I'm going to another pharmacy tonight to get the strips. Annoying. Hopefully.. I can try to test her before her pm shot tonight.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Yup. It is hard to believe as a newbie, but it really is :)

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Sometimes I will give Tucker his shot when he's eating his treat, he never even notices. We use the short syringes, that makes a nice difference too, if you're using a U100 insulin like Lev, Lantus or some BCP PZI compounded in U100 form.

4. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

Do you have an appointment for this week so they can do a BG test to see what adjustments need to be done for her insulin dosage?
    Is she eating and drinking water normally?

My cat's BG was 460 on friday and was diagnoised with Diabetes. They had me give 2 units to start (on Sat), with an appointment this friday to adjust the dosaging, depending on what her BG is.
    She has not eaten since, except for a tiny tiny bit Sunday night (5 morsels dry food) and this morning (monday) (10 morsels dry food)
    I got an emergency vet appointment today, they are keeping her overnight and tube feeding her to re-start her system.
    They said she is extremly dehydrated and probably ketonic and it is probably caused from not being on the insulin sooner or not enough insulin to start.

She didnt start acting sick until about a week and a half ago. Just kinda sluggish.
    Then 3 days before I took her to the vet, she started drinking tons of water.
    Its hard to tell though how long she has had diabetes. :sad:

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Yup...
    Grab a good punch of fur on the flank and pull up an inch or less.

Using the fur instead of pinching the actual skin is more comfortable for your kitty, I
    have found.

Then shoot into the tent at about a 45-degree angle towards the body.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

One thing to try when you get your strips. Try it out on yourself first or your boyfriend (yes, I know both will be a challenge) But if you do, you will see it doesn't hurt that much and you will be comfortable with how it works when you go to try it out on Chloe the first time. Have your set up all ready - treats, meter, lancets, something to poke against - so you feel confident about the whole procedure ahead of time.

Lots of people here crossing fingers and paws that it will go well. But do remember, it didn't go perfectly for most of us at first. We spent a weekend poking poor Oliver before we figured it out and got blood.

7. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

It is that easy!! Believe it or not.. I am newbie & did just fine with the injections!! You can do it.. it is soooooo easy, I often wonder if I really did it!! :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.