? Is my cat a good candidate to switch from ProZinc to Lantus/Levemir?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FarmKitty, Jan 25, 2021.

1. FarmKitty

FarmKitty Member

Hello! My cat, Dixie, has been on ProZinc since her diagnoses (6 months) and now the vial is only ¼ full so I have been considering switching to Lantus or Levemir.

Right now, she is on 0.25 units of ProZinc and her numbers seem to stay below the 140’s and she nadirs at around 80-90.

I am experienced in shooting low preshot values. I will also be able to shoot her at the same time each day and I am home all day to monitor her.

She has a recent hyperthyroidism and CKD diagnosis, so I will be sure to start her medications, switch her food, and give her some time to settle in before making a switch to a new insulin.

She sometimes drops half her BG levels from preshot to nadir, and I read that the Lantus is more of a gradual curve, so I am wondering if I could get her numbers lower overall on the Lantus.

Cost is not really an issue for me since I am in Canada.

My question is, would it be worthwhile to switch her to Lantus? Even though she is on such a low dose of ProZinc and doesn’t bounce at all? I am wondering if I can do better for her or if her numbers are the best I can get.

Also, will the Lantus syringes be able to handle low doses? I see that I can get syringes with half-unit markings, but the markings look a lot closer together than my ProZinc syringes!

I would appreciate any advice you have. I have done a forum search but most cats that I have seen make the switch have been on more units or were bouncy, so I wonder if I would have anything to gain.

Thank you!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I haven’t use Prozinc so it is hard for me to compare. But I have used both Lantus and Levemir.
    They can both have flat curves in cats that are regulated. Levemir has a later onset and nadir than Lantus.
    They are depot insulins and not an in and out insulin like Prozinc.
    I liked levemir better for Sheba,,she somehow seemed happier on it.

I think if you are coming to the end of the bottle, it could be worth swapping as you might be able to get lower preshot BGs with Lantus or Lev.

Yes the U-100 3/10 insulin syringes 1/2 unit can handle the tiny doses.

tiffmaxee, Sue and Luci and FarmKitty like this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with the above. I only used Lantus and was dependent on calipers.

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

She’s doing pretty well on PZ....much better than most I see. While a lot of cats do better on Lantus and Levemir, they also don’t look as good as Dixie does on PZ. Having said that, like Bron, I am a big fan of Levemir.

One consideration should be the cost because the L insulins are typically pricier than PZ. The other is the different curves to expect especially with Levemir. The last is just getting a different mindset with how the insulins work physiologically.

If you switch, it will seem just a bit like starting over just because you have to learn how a depot insulin works but it won’t take long for you to get up to speed especially because you will have all the other basics down.

There’s really not a right or wrong way to go here and it’s up to you. For some cats, it’s pretty obvious a switch will likely improve their BG. We generally say to give an insulin six months before switching and you’ve done that. If you don’t like whichever L insulin you pick, you can always go back to PZ. There are always members willing to buy insulin through the Supply Closet.