Insulin suddenly lasting way longer?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Randy Wilson, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Randy Wilson

Randy Wilson New Member

I live in a small town.
    My cat could barely walk and her coat was looking matted. I took her to the vet and the vet said my cat needed very expensive antibiotics for a UTI. They also said she is old and probably does not have much time left. She then asked if I wanted to know about putting her to sleep. I said not going to happen. I paid $400 for blood tests/medication and there was no improvement.

I did a blood sugar test on my own and it was over 500. I called the vet and they said it was 125 when they did their $150 blood work three weeks before. They would need to verify with new blood tests and urine tests and it would cost at least $200 a month with a starting payment of $300 plus insulin to get started. I declined.

I put her on Novolin N and started a low dose and slowly raised until I found 2ui to work the best. The insulin was lasting 7 hours so I would dose her 3 times a day. I monitored the curve to make sure she was ok. She only eats low carb wet food.

After 2 months of this she walks and looks normal and does all the normal things she used to do. She is 18.

My Question:
    The last few days her Insulin is lasting 12 hours instead of the normal 7-8.
    Could she be going into remission?
    I did not think a type 1 could go into remission.

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Randy welcome, I would copy your post and post it on the Feline Health Main Forum
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-welcome-main-forum.28/
    There really is not much action on the Vetsulin/Novolin N forum

Once you move your post to there I would change your Title to New Member Need Advice

I will also tag a few members for you then

Also if you can give us this information about your cat tap on this blue link
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.

Members would also want to see a spreadsheet set up
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/
    It will also explain how the spreadsheet works

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022