Insulin and weight

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Tiger and the squid, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

Speaking to one of the vets looking at Tiger's tests, he said that three units of vetsulin is a lot to give for a cat of Tiger's weight. He's suggesting that we switch to lantus, as it may be more effective with a smaller dose.

Does weight have anything to do with ... anything? Tiger is about seven pounds (he lost a lot of weight which is one of the issues which prompted his diagnostic vet visit, but his appetite is pretty good and improving)

Should I try increasing to 4u first? I mean, I still have most of my bottle of vetsulin and Tiger isn't finding good regulation yet. Is it dangerous to go up again? Should I just cough up the money for lantus, if it will make a difference sooner (potentially, obviously we dont actually know how he will respond)

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Weight has little to do with the effective dose for a kitty. It can be used as a loose guide in determining a starting dose but that's it. You just haven't reached his good dose range yet. I'd increase by 0.5 u after no more than 3 or 4 cycles until you start seeing yellow and blue on your SS, Then, you can slow the rate and magnitude of increase.

It's not a given that Lantus will give you better BGs at a lower dose. What it might do is produce a flatter curve when you find its good dose range. Overall it tends to be a better insulin for cats. Your choice ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.