Injection Sites

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Douglas_my ginger cat, Aug 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas_my ginger cat

Douglas_my ginger cat Member

Hi, I'm back again!

Douglas has been doing so well with his injections and food and even seemed to have been urinating and drinking less (although I think that was short lived). Anyway the last few injections, he isn't as tolerant as he has been? I am injecting him about 3 inches below the scruff on his back and injecting away from his head. The last injection I tried to administer, he pretty much flat out refused. Any idea why he could have had a change of heart?

I know all you wonderful people had previously provided info about other injection sites, but I'm worried that I might inject something I shouldn't. Could someone show me how they would inject the belly or flank area of their cat? Do you still pull the skin into a tent? Which is the best way to do it?

Little random rant here, I ordered an Alphatrak last weekend but they have only now got back to me to say its out of stock. So have had to reorder elsewhere which will only arrive on Wed, so I have lost at least a week of hometesting!!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

If you’re reordering, consider a human meter no need for the super expensive alphatrack test strips Trust me it adds up fast

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’ve only ever used the scruff so I can’t help. Is the syringe warm so the insulin is not going in cold? How much of an angle are you using and is it going towards or away from his head? All those things can make a difference

5. Douglas_my ginger cat

Thank you. I had weighed up the options but for now I will stick with Alphatrak as it just gives me piece of mind now. I plan to switch to Gluco Navii later down the line when I am much more comfortable and my understanding is greater.

6. Douglas_my ginger cat

The syringe is ready to go 20/30mins prior to administering so is room temperature. I put the need in at a 45 degree angle away from his head.

Maybe I'll try closer to the scruff...

7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

And you’re pulling enough skin up right? I try to get a good pinch with as much “meat” in it as I can. If I just get lose skin she reacts and cries out

8. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If it's any help, I injected towards the head. The chest end of the tent was a bigger target.

Any reason why the AlphaTrak? The strips are very expensive.

9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

45 degree angle might be a little steep for a cat. You want to slide it in parallel with the body.

upload_2020-8-15_17-17-25.png

I had more luck rolling back the skin than tenting it. You'd take your non-dominant hand and pull (roll) the skin back towards the back of the head and slide into it.

[​IMG]

As for areas, never had enough skin to work with on the flank, but between the shoulder blades was the sweet spot for us. :) Just remember to rotate areas so not to develop scar tissue.

10. Karen & Charlie

Karen & Charlie Member

Charlie, also newly diagnosed, has had the exact same reaction. First week of injections went great; this 2nd week, he's definitely noticing it more. While he hasn't refused, like Douglas, he does look over his should at me, and once pulled away. Nothing aggressive, just "I'd rather you not do that." He had gotten SO skinny that the only place I can pull up scruff is around his shoulders, so I alternate sides there.

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Yes that happens. They start to notice or smart up to it. I know that if Minnie is sitting up and I grab her scruff to shoot, she’ll lay down as if to say, let me get in the right position so it won’t hurt

12. Douglas_my ginger cat

Thanks guys. This morning I tried closer to the scruff and he wasn't playing ball and moved away from me when I had inserted the needle so was just crouching with a needle stuck in him for 5 secs! Arrrghhh! I am hoping its just a moment and we will get back into the swing of things again.

I may try this way and see if it helps

Thanks again everybody!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.