In Memory of Simone 1996 - 2010

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by For Simone (& Reggie), Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For Simone (& Reggie)

For Simone (& Reggie) New Member

Simone
    May 18, 1996 – January 16, 2010

To Rebecca and all the supporting and generous members at FDMB.

I had to surrender Simone’s life Saturday morning to an aggressive tumor on her leg (discovered in October). Commingled with the joint, it could not be removed and since she was only at about half of normal body weight from the progression of what I supposed her IBD, we didn’t think it good to put her through any more with an amputation. We tried to help her body with Depro-Medrol injections the last few months, but it didn’t cure anything though I think it might have made her a bit stronger. We made her more comfortable in the last weeks of her journey with oral Buprenex.

Simone departed this life so sweetly and peacefully on my lap, contentedly wagging the end of her tail, that I admire her that much more. And could have asked for nothing more. I feel we had so much extra time together over these past almost four years. She just never gave up, even trotting to her breakfast that last morning and chowing down. Perhaps grief hasn’t set in – I don’t know – but I just feel so so happy, so deeply grateful to have known her sweet self. It sounds corny, but I still feel her with me, inside. I hope I can honor the privilege of having formed this bond with her by maintaining that feeling.

Simone became so trusting of me and my intentions towards her. That’s a pretty nice feeling to be left with. I clearly remember the night she came home after a week in the hospital in July 2006 and I woke to find her curled up on my forearm. I was so touched by her choosing to find comfort with me. When it was time to test her blood and give her a shot, I would sit cross legged on the kitchen floor and she would climb right into my lap and allow me to prick her ear for blood and then inject her. She was so patient, and forbearing of these twice daily procedures. It’s a mystery really. She even gave up diabetes last May so we could have a life together that was a little more relaxed. I sometimes asked her to leave if she was in pain because I couldn’t make that choice, but she stayed. And ultimately let me make the choice, all the while acting like it was okay for me to take this long. And then she gives me the gift of leaving so gently. She just was a real, real sweetheart and having known her means the world to me. It means having known the world in a way that is beautiful and in a way that can never be taken from me.

Thank you for sharing this experience with me. I can never repay the endless support and education and advice that was provided to me directly and indirectly through this board. Bless all of you and your loving creatures.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

I am so, so very sorry to read this. You and your girl went through so much together... but faced it all with remarkable strength, determination and love.

It's not corny at all to feel happy for her peace. She IS still with you... and always will be for a love like that cannot ever die. She'll be waiting for you and you'll be together again.

((((((hugs))))))

3. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

What a beautiful tribute, Allison. I remember when you came to FDMB and how frustrated you were but how dedicated to figuring it all out. You took wonderful care of Simone; you loved her and you did your absolute best to keep her healthy and safe. What more could any of us want?

I hope she stays with you always.

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Allison, I'm so sorry to hear this. Simone was special to me -- I saw you and she in your early days with the disease. You have all my sympathy for the loss of your very dear kitty.

5. Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA)

Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA) Member

(((((hugs)))))
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

wings_cat

6. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

I'm so sorry she had to leave, but it's wonderful that the two of you had time together and that she enriched your life and left you with so many happy memories.

I hope you always have peace in knowing that she will always be with you and live on forever in your heart.

7. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Dear Allison,
    Oh how my heart sank to read this post. Simone always held a special place in my heart. Such a beautiful girl and such a loving mom. What a team together! It's so hard to lose our most precious friends but you have a most special angel watching over you now. Please take care of yourself. With the warmest of thoughts and hugs!

8. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

(((Allison))) I am so sorry to see this post but it really is a beautiful tribute to your beautiful girl. It's not at all corny for you to feel her with you. She so obviously loved you and her world revolved around you and your love of her.

Thank you for sharing her with us.

Run free, sweet Simone!

9. For Simone (& Reggie)

I thank you all most, most graciously. “Frustrated” is the kindly way of putting it, Terri. :) I was downright angry at times, I know, especially as I struggled for months to get her under 300. I think I was so worried that the sacrifices I had made wouldn’t be worth it. I am so glad to see that you still have Lucy whom you have been treating for a long time. I know you share the same precious bond. Jess, of course I remember you (!) who stood by me and talked to me after I admitted Simone. I remember that moment and little Simone there in the cage learning to walk with her catheter while she looked around for her mommy. And Carolynn and Patti, you and Fletcher and Merlin (GA) are extremely dear to my heart.

And I thank you, Susie, and those with whom I am not familiar for offering your condolences. I am so surprised right now by my reaction to Simone’s passing – I am just completely filled with so much and realize that she has taught me about love and trust and forgiveness and I want what she went through to be valuable to this Earth and the beauty she has imprinted on me to go on forever by how I live my life.

10. Tina and Regis (GA)

Tina and Regis (GA) Member

I am so sorry. Simone is still with you. The bond and love you shared will remain in your heart. She is an Angel now watching over you.

Her pictures touched my heart. What a precious beautiful, strong girl.

Fly Free Sweet Simone.

Sending hugs of comfort,

Tina, Regis, in spirit, and Persia

11. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

(((Allison)))

I am so sorry Simone had to leave you. What an experience you two have had together! I know that she will forever be a part of you.

Many hugs,

Janet

12. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

I am sorry you had to make that choice and say goodbye. The peacefulness you mention certainly Is a gift.

I lost Abby to cancer and while a heartbreaking decision, once made,there is a knowing they are whole and at peace forever, never far. I hope helps you as it helps me.

Kimmee

13. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May your wonderful memories of Simone comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

14. For Simone (& Reggie)

Thank you, Tina and Janet and Kimmee. It’s so nice to hear from you. Janet, you were so instrumental in the success I had in Simone’s treatment. My goodness. And thank you, Tina, I know that you shared a very precious bond with Regis and struggled so much with his loss—as anyone would especially when the loss is sudden. I hope you are feeling better as time has passed. And, Kimmee, hi again!, and you seem to understand well that moment when you wish you could do more for your animal, but have to finally give in to a disease and its effects on your precious friend’s body.

And, Karen, I could never forget you and Smokey. Bless you, all.

15. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Oh I am so very sorry to hear this. ((((((hugs))))))

16. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am deeply sorry for your loss.

~M

17. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending many cyber hugs. I am so very sorry for your loss. Simone is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. Merlyn will look out for Simone in the spirit world. They are always in our hearts.

Lisa, and Merlyn over the Bridge

18. Lucy and Oscar(GA)

Lucy and Oscar(GA) Member

What a touching tribute to such a loving relationship that you both shared. Simone IS still with you. She always will be.

Until you meet again . . .

Fly free, sweet Simone(GA)

19. For Simone (& Reggie)

Thank you, Karen (I know Pearl and I love that video of Pearl & Sugar!), Mary, Lisa and Lucy! Lisa, I know I mentioned long ago but I gathered my precious treasure (and her brother, Reggie) from the SF SPCA adoption cages in Embarcadero Center. Then we all moved to New York and recently to Utah. What a journey it’s been.

20. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Oh, no - I am so sad to see this post. What a wonderful tribute to your loving care that Simone went so peacefully, trusting you so much and knowing you would give her relief and freedom. My heart goes out to you - it's been such a long journey for you - and you have taken such wonderful care of your sweet girl.

Hold that peace in your heart knowing that you did indeed give her freedom and all of the wonderful memories and love you've shared for so long will hopefully help to fill the void in your heart and life. She was a beautiful little girl - and you gave her such a wonderful life.

Sending many hugs and comforting prayers your way.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

21. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

My memory candle is lit for Simon's path to the Rainbow B

I'm so sorry, Allison.

22. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

((((Allison)))) What a beautiful tribute to the most dear, sweet Simone. Fly free darling girl.

23. Nancy and Albert

Nancy and Albert Member

What a beautiful post to honor Simone and the sense of calm and peace you have is beautiful also. I am sorry she had to go and I know you will miss her, but you are right, it is better to have had the chance to know and love this gorgeous creature. They allow us that much.

May all the sweet memories you have of her life bring you comfort for many years.

Fly free Simone!

Nancy and Albert

24. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

Allison, I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Simone was a beautiful little girl, and you did her proud. (((HUGS)))

25. Helen & Snickers

Helen & Snickers Member

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. You gave her a peaceful passing and I hope you can find some comfort in that. Our thoughts are with you.

Helen

26. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Allison I am so sad to read this. You are truly blessed to have shared such a life.
    Safe journey Simone. Land softly in the arms of our Lord till you and mommy meet again. On the wings of angels fly free...

Jeanne

27. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Allison..I am so sorry to read about sweet Simone's passing. She was obviously very loved and very special. Such a fighter! You both did the best you could and shared a great love.

28. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. She was such a beautiful girl, and you wrote such an amazing tribute. May you find peace in your healing.

29. For Simone (& Reggie)

Thank you so very much, everybody. I am riding this wave right now of awe for the love and strength that this little teeny creature left behind for me. I am just beginning to understand the lessons that these animals have for us in our lives when we give ourselves to them. Thank you again for your thoughts and condolences, and blessings on all of you.

30. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

I started to read your post yesterday but couldn't make it through it... the love you shared with Simone shines from your words... I'm so sorry for your loss... and so happy for your love. I wish you peace through this process and thank you for sharing her with us.

31. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

Such a beautiful relationshp! I am so sorry that Simone's time here is over; but she will live forever in your heart.

32. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Allison )))

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a lovely tribute, very peaceful and loving.

33. Cindy and Tritone

Cindy and Tritone Member

I remember beautiful Simone with much fondness I am so sorry it was her time, and yes, she will grace your life forever.

34. Leslie & Maverick & Chaos-(GAs)

Leslie & Maverick & Chaos-(GAs) Member

((((Allison))))

I'm so sorry for your loss. How beautiful she was.

35. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Allison, I did not have the pleasure to mingle with you or Simone, however I wanted to stop in and tell you how sorry I was that you had to say goodbye to your precious girl. Your tribute to Simone was so heart warming and I could really tell that you guys had that very special bond that only a few of us ever get with our fur kids.
    I once read on a memorial these words "to live in the hearts of men is not to die". I know that Simone will always stay in your heart and will always be with you.
    ((Allison)). Fly free sweet Simone. I am sure my Kodi and Rushka will be standing on the other side of the rainbow bridge..Kodi is a handsome regal Akita and Ruskha is a husky with the most beautiful blue eyes that have mischief written all over them. They will help you along your journey.

36. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Allison. Your tribute brings tears to my eyes. The following is a tribute to another beloved cat, Cuddles, written by her dad, musician/author/animal lover, Kinky Friedman, and it brought me great comfort when I lost my feline soul-mate, Eddie, several years ago. I hope it provides you with some comfort as well:

On January 4, 1993, the cat in this book and the books that preceded it was put to sleep in Kerrville, Texas, by Dr. W.H. Hoegemeyer and myself. Cuddles was fourteen years old, a respectable age. She was as close to me as any human being I have ever known.

Cuddles and I spent many years together, both in New York, where I first found her as a little kitten on the street in Chinatown, and later on the ranch in Texas. She was always with me, on the table, on the bed, by the fireplace, beside the typewriter, on top of my suitcase when I returned from a trip.

I dug Cuddles' grave with a silver spade, in the little garden by the stream behind the old green trailer where both of us lived in the summertime. Her burial shroud was my old New York sweatshirt and in the grave with her is a can of tuna and a cigar

A few days ago I received a sympathy note from Bill Hoegemeyer, the veterinarian. It opened with a verse by Irving Townsend: "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle ......

Now, as I write this, on a gray winter day by the fireside, I can almost feel her light tread, moving from my head and my heart down through my fingertips to the keys of the typewriter People may surprise you with unexpected kindness. Dogs have a depth of loyalty that often we seem unworthy of. But the love of a cat is a blessing, a privilege in this world.

They say when you die and go to heaven all the dogs and cats you've ever had in your life come running to meet you.

Until that day, rest in peace, Cuddles.

37. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

Oh Allison, I'm so sorry.

Patti

38. JGinMA Lindy (GA)

JGinMA Lindy (GA) New Member

Hello,

I'm so sorry - my thoughts and hugs to you - sounds like Simone was a true sweetheart and such a love.

Janice

39. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

My deepest sympathies. What a fighter Simone was ... and how blessed she was to have chosen you as her human companion through this life. In turn, she blessed you with the incredible bond that we have with our precious special kitties - it doesn't end. Your heart knows you are still connected, and that she will always be part of you.

Simone, fly high and free on those golden wings.

Allison, wishing you peace and comfort. May your memories of the life you shared help heal your aching heart.

40. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

((( allison )))
    so sad to hear about your friend.
    she stayed with you as long as she could..... she had so much love. still does. that goes with her.
    ( hers stays with you)

with sympathy and care,

Cheryl and in spirit, Winnie

41. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

You shared a very special bond together. I am so sorry for your loss.

42. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Fly Free Simone!

43. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Oh Allison, I am so sorry to read this....(((hugs)))

Thank you so much for sharing Simone's journey with us these past four years. I learned so much from you and your posts throughout all of Simone's challenges and her triumphs. You were such a devoted Mom to her. I am so happy she was able to leave the diabetes part behind in these last months with you.

A beautiful tribute to your little girl. Fly pain free sweet Simone.

44. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so very sorry for your loss wings_cat

45. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry.

46. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

47. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry ... cancer is so hard to fight.... What a wonderful way to drift off... her magnificent tail wagging....

48. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Fly free sweet Simone! We will remember you.

Hugs,
    Pam & Layla

49. suzie and spook (GA)

suzie and spook (GA) Member

Allison, I'm so very sorry for your loss.
    Simone was such a beautiful girl and what a lovely tribute.
    Fly free sweet Simone.

50. For Simone (& Reggie)

[I had to say Thank You and then we will let this thread rest.]

I just wanted to briefly say thank you to everyone here. I loved the Kinky Friedman, that was comforting, and the other quotes too. Very nice. I am sad that I won’t be seeing Simone again in this lifetime. It is weird to think about and hard somehow for me to believe. I get most sad I think when I think of her from a couple years ago when she was healthier and the rabbit diet was working like gangbusters. The memories are bittersweet but also very precious and there are a lot them. I still have tactile memories of how she felt – her skinny forelegs and paws which she let me massage. Her lying on my tummy and nuzzling my face, her chin and mouth against mine. How damn cute she looked when she would ask for assistance on the bed put her forelegs on the bed and then her head would be sticking straight up like a puppet or something. It was so cute. She would get up herself if no one was there to help her but I remember waking up to this one last time in the middle of the night before we had to put her down. So cute she was. She never reminded me much of the aging cat that she was as much as my “little baby girl.”

Anyway…I truly thank all of you for you kind words and I hope you are blessed with success and longevity with these special ones who need extra help. Be well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.